Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Contour Roam vs GoPro
  • scotroutes

“That” popup sports sales site has a deal on the Contour Roam Watersports edition at the moment. How do they line up against current GoPro incarnations?

Milkie
    Free Member

I think the Contour (1 not 2) video quality is better than the GoPro HD1 but not as good as the HD2/3.

The Contour takes a standard nokia battery so they are very cheap.

The best mount for MTB footage is a chest mount, there isn’t a chest mount for the Contour.

The GoPro Hero 3 Black, blows the Contour out of the water!

hammerite
    Free Member

I’m still hoping that someone takes a punt on one of these and can tell me what it’s like.

For £100 I’m not expecting Go Pro quality, but wondering if it’s good enough for messing around with.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

what about one of these foolish things

Drac

The best mount for MTB footage is a chest mount, there isn’t a chest mount for the Contour.

GoPro Chesty and the drift adapter

rewski
    Free Member

Contour ? No chest mount you say?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-JqrG6wkiE[/video]

monogramman
    Free Member

Contour cameras are very good quality in my opinion, however being bullet shaped does present a few mounting problems. Contours mounts are also expensive for what they are.

Have you looked at the MuviHD?

I only film @ 720p and the sd card is not great but the picture quality is good, lcd screen is very handy and there are loads of mounting options included.

This video shows a MuviHd chest mounted and a ContourHD mounted to the seat post.

scotroutes

I should’ve said – the Contour is only £130 at that site so it’s a question of whether it’s worth paying more for a Muvi or GoPro.

monogramman
    Free Member

MuviHD are selling for £110inc p&p new on ebay

Drac

Contour cameras are very good quality in my opinion, however being bullet shaped does present a few mounting problems.

Such as?

DickBarton

Drift mount seems to work well…I’ve used it with my Drift HD – http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/gopro-mount-adapter (‘scuse the poor model in the shot!) –

chest_mount_front by DickBarton, on Flickr

chest_mount by DickBarton, on Flickr

chest_mount_detail by DickBarton, on Flickr

chest_mount_side by DickBarton, on Flickr

iain1775
    Free Member

Scotrotes
    I saw that deal on sport pursuit to and was tempted as I already have the old VHolr cam so have a load of compatible mounts
    However you might like to check out Wiggle, same kit is only £119.50 with free delivery that makes it about £15 cheaper than SP
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/contour-roam-watersports-kit/?dest=1&curr=gbp&lang=en&utm_source=free&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Contour-Contour_ROAM_Watersports_Kit-Black

monogramman
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Such as?

Cost of making that chest mount will require purchasing 3 parts.

Wanting to mount the camera to a seat tube or such, the camera ends up off set, or the mount has to bend in such a way it is cumbersome and gets in the way.

Removal from the bike to use as a fixed point camera requires more balancing and setting up of picture orientation.

rewski
    Free Member

Removal from the bike to use as a fixed point camera requires more balancing and setting up of picture orientation.

Really? I just press a button and a twist the lens to get the lazer line straight.

bigjim

Those contours look afful big. I wouldn’t want to land on my chest with that sticking out! Hero 3 is an amazing camera, battery life is my only gripe, crashing was annoying but the new firmware seems to have solved that.

Drac

Cost of making that chest mount will require purchasing 3 parts.

That’s true yes but the parts are then interchangeable to other mounts.

Wanting to mount the camera to a seat tube or such, the camera ends up off set, or the mount has to bend in such a way it is cumbersome and gets in the way.

Not a problem I’ve had.

Rewski’s method or the free iphone app as a view finder and for setting exposure.

GrahamS

PSA: Wiggle’s Contour Roams are now on their Price Drop.
    Currently £114.72 and dropping by 1% every Midnight till they are gone.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/contour-roam-watersports-kit/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=wiggle-social-media&utm_campaign=contourPD

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Contour Roam vs GoPro’ is closed to new replies.