Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Continental X King tyres
  • super4
    Free Member

Anyone had much dealings with theses tyres ?

Any thoughts?

rickon
    Free Member

As no one has replied, I’ll help as best I can.

I’ve looked into this a few times, the reports are that the X-King is a really good XC tyre… when it works.

The sidewalls are really thin, there is an anti-mould coating on the inside which needs to be removed with IPA before they will seal – and even then they will probably not seal that well – but they might.

I’d like them to be good, as they look like a nice volumious tyre – but £40 on a tyre that’s gonna rip, or be useless tubeless is a bit of a deal killer for me.

Rocket Rons are in the same arena as these, and are brilliant tyres – tubeless easy, and I’ve yet to rip one – but my missus has ripped two. If you’re not a clumsy rider they’ll be fine. (Not that my missus is! she just didn’t seat them properly and the bead came away with wear).

super4
    Free Member

thanks rickon for the post, i take it theses are tubeless tyres? would you think they would be any better with a tube in?

Daniel
    Free Member

I’ve been running a pair of 2.4 race sport versions over the summer into winter. I really like them, much better IMHO than SB8’s which I was had on before. Roll well and grip in a surprising range of conditions. Gone back to rubber queens for the worst of winter. 2.4’s offer plenty of volume, but the sidewalls are very thin. Not ripped them yet. Probably would go with the protection version if buying again.

MSP

The race sport version is the version with really thin sidewalls, the protection is a bit sturdier, but still fairly light, both have the black chilli compound.
    I run the race sport on the front and protection on the rear, I really like them and surprisingly versatile, but more summer orientated.

super4
    Free Member

thanks daniel, ive purchased as stated the kings in 2.4 for the front and 2.2 for the back!!! thought id give them a try as they where 30 quid for the pair!!!
    do u use a inner tube as well?

Daniel
    Free Member

Yes I run tubes. After a summer of use, a wet ride means that inside the tyre gets wet because the sidewalls are thin/worn. So can’t imagine them sealing with gunk.

tony24
    Free Member

I have them been running them tubeless too. Fantastic tyre IMO not the best grip wise in sloppy mud but general xc and trail centre riding they are great.

Shame you already ordered I want rid of my 2.4 as it bloody huge I have 2 of them I want rid of…

They take time to get to seal as sidewalks are pourous but once sealed they are fine !

2hottie
    Free Member

I’ve a set of 2.4 protection black chilli I like them a lot good in all conditions, took the one off the front as they don’t bite into deep mud that well went for a 2.4 RQ which is massive! However for general riding I can’t fault them. I run mine with tubes btw.

The cost was a potential deal breaker but I just took the gamble.

float
    Free Member

ive got the 2.4 protection version. nice tyre. fast on the hard stuff, but also able to bite in when the trail gets a bit softer. 2.4 is fairly big(ish), but not ridiculous. id probably get two 2.4 instead of the 2.2, but i run as mahoosive a tyre as i can get away with on the rear (currenly rolling on a 2.4 rubber queen 8) )

black chilli compound is brill, grippy and quick, nuff said.

tyre goes for more of a drifty feel when really lent over, not a bad thing and its super easy to control. straight line traction is top notch.

mine is used as a summer tyre, overall 7.5/10 (bearing in mind 5/10 is an ok tyre)

super4
    Free Member

oh thats a shame tony24 but thanks for the offer,

what do u think out there about running to different sizes as stated?
    2.4 front
    2.2 rear

any thoughts?

gamo
    Free Member

Good quick tyre but the sidewalls are too weak ,had two black chilli protections and the tread was still fine but sidewalls had gone!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Continental X King tyres’ is closed to new replies.