Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Continental Tyres – Mountain Kings or X-Kings
  • bigbadbob
    Free Member

I have been a big fan of Maxxis tyres and still will be, but I fancy something else to replace my aging Ardents which I use for trail centre and long ridy stuff.
    Anybody give me some ideas on what to choose.
    I do ride quite aggressively and am 13 stone (if that helps).

stimpy
    Free Member

MK on the front, X-King on the back. Simples. It’s what I have – grippy front and smooth rolling on the back.

Whatever you do, get black chili compound.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Agreed. The difference is incredible. Well worth the extra.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Should I get Folding or Wire, or does it not matter too much. And where is the best place to purchase such items.

twang
    Free Member

I destroyed an XKing in three rides riding rocky stuff. The BC compound is harder on the XKing and it breaks off in chunks. Now got MK rear which is way more durable

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Just don’t get the cheap non protection tyres, i was having punctures everytime i came within 6 feet of a stick on the ground.

Northwind

Are those not the 3 main rules of Conti?

1) The size on the tyre is generated by rolling dice
    2) If there’s a Protection version, then the standard version will puncture if you give it a sharp look.
    3) Black chili or death

maroonbells
    Free Member

I would stick with the Ardents. MK has a big transitional gap that makes me nervous just looking at it. XK non chilli is totally useless in any type of dampness, fast in the dry though!

creamegg
    Free Member

And where is the best place to purchase such items.

I found that bike-components were cheapest(even after a hefty delivery charge), although I do buy a few items there to make it worthwhile. The delivery is pretty quick too considering they’re coming from Germany. You may need google translate to help with some of the descriptions but you can cross check the product reference code against conti’s website.

I like RQ black chilli myself although have MKII on my other bike

robgarrioch

Halfords prices seemed keen enough when I was looking a few weeks ago. Velo Ecosse do them too & seem to have dropped their previously inflated prices a little.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I got a cheaper ‘folding’ x-king for the rear and it is un-usable / non fit for purpose. It does not fit on the rim even if pumped up like a rock – it spins with the tube inside sheering of the valve. The Black chili m-king on the front is great.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Continental Tyres – Mountain Kings or X-Kings’ is closed to new replies.