Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Continental Mountain King 29er – your veiws please.
  • TimCotic
    Free Member

I’m looking for a decent all round tyre to run tubeless on my 29er. My Ikons are just a little too delicate so I’d like something similar but a little tougher. When the rear Ikon gave up the ghost, I replaced it with a Spesh Storm Control 2.0 – I like it but it’s a bit low on volume and they don’t make it any wider. Someone reccommend the Mountain King 2.25 to me. Are there any users out there with views on this tyre?
    Cheers,

takisawa2

I didn’t like them. I thought the side knobbles were too big & deflected badly when cornering on harder trails. I replaced them with some cheap WTB Prowler SL’s, which were surprisingly good, but only 2.1″ & running fully rigid, I wanted more volume. Eventually found 2.35 Racing Ralphs which roll almost like the Smallblock8’s. I happily run the Ralphs year round now. Slight trade off in ultimate grip but I’m an old dodderererer.

Speshpaul

I used in the winter on a buzzard, front was good, on the back it was all grip grip grip – why am i lying down. no notice that they were about to let go.
    i’ve just had NNics front and rear on a FF29, front agin good, rear good but soooo draggy. swopped the rear for a Xking. bloody ace. fast gripy and lets you know whats going on .
    so may a MK2 up front and a Xking on the back.
    Planet X have them for £19.99

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I got mtn king 2.2 as standard on my gyro and got 5 punctures in 6 rides, including a double coming down loughrigg! Hans Dampf on the front now and hopefully something not awful on the back when I decide! They weren’t low pressures either, and it wasn’t my riding, I think it was over a year since I punctured on my HT!

sillyoldman

Black Chilli ones are amazing, but the cheap ones are absolutely awful. Terrible compound on anything remotely moist, and the carcass is woeful. The Protection BC ones couldn’t be more different, and I can’t fault them.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

The Protection BC ones couldn’t be more different, and I can’t fault them.

+1 🙂

sofaking
    Free Member

I prefer ardents for all year round use

JRTG
    Free Member

Agree with above, running then on my 29er and in the dry fine but the wet, well forget it they are almost the worst tyres I have ever used. That goes for cheap and black chilli, only staying on as I can’t be arsed taking them off and it’s dry woo!

llama

I have some protections tubeless on flows

They are OK for general riding, not bad climbing, OK in the wet, and its not really been muddy.

Crap on fast rocky/rooty stuff and horrid on landings. They just seem to deform in the wrong way for that.

Admittedly they were probably a mistake for my kind of riding and esp the wide rims

Northwind

sillyoldman – Member

Black Chilli ones are amazing, but the cheap ones are absolutely awful.

+ many. Diabolical (though note quite as bad as the non-chili Rubber Queen, which is completely and totally useless for anything. Not even grippy enough for dry tarmac!)

billyboy
    Free Member

I’m using a black chilli mountain king on the back of a 29er Anthem. I Prefer it to the Ardent and Racing Ralph I’ve had out back before. It doesn’t seem any slower but hooks up better when you hit the wet.

Kept an Ardent up front tho

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Continental Mountain King 29er – your veiws please.’ is closed to new replies.