Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Continental Der Baron Projekt tyre review
  • barney
    Free Member

Continental Der Baron Projekt is made of their ‘secret sauce’ Black Chili compound, which you’ll only find in their German-made tyres.

By barney

Get the full story on our front page at:

Continental Der Baron Projekt tyre review

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

justinbieber

I am that Lake District dwelling friend, and I can attest to the Barons greatness. I pair mine with a Kaiser fitted to the rear for better pedalling, at the slight expense of ultimate grip in slop and on climbs. The Baron is a better and grippier front tyre though

b33k34

Long term fan of Conti tyres here. I like the shape that gives predictable slide (they lack the transition that seems to blight many Maxxis), and the single compound genuinely seems to give that combination of grip and long life. Again on multi-compound tyres I find the soft side knobs tend to rip off much more quickly than those on my coatis.

However, I fitted mine to a Race Face Turbine R30 wheel which I think is the same ARC rim as above but just 3mm wider internally. I’ve never had such a tight combination or rim and tyre – once I’d fought it onto the rim both beads were sat so tightly in the centre dip that no amount of blasting with an Airshot would shift it. Eventually fitted a tube and left it overnight and after a lot more fighting (having left one bead locked) finally got it inflated, but I’m dreading when I have to remove it. Odd.

bikesandboots

Had one of these on the front all winter, very happy with it, DHR2 on the back. Chose it over Shorty and Magic Mary, seemed more versatile than both of them and does everything well without the downsides of either.

@barney
    and @justinbieber – any comparisons with those tyres or others please?

I’ll just drop a link to the Kaiser here for those who like to match brands front and rear – https://singletrackworld.com/2021/05/continental-kaiser-protection-apex-29-x-2-4-review/ . And thanks for the comparison to DHR2.

Northwind

Really like these, if you don’t need a spikier tyre in winter then they’re superb 3 seasons tyres and not bad at all in the 4th, just slow is all.

gazzab1955

Superlative on the front in the clart

Clart?

PolisherMan

Clart. Yep, what’s wrong with that?

jamj1974

First time I’ve been interested in Continental tyres since having a batch of misshapen Trail Kings 6 or so years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Continental Der Baron Projekt tyre review’ is closed to new replies.