Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Conti Tyres – Flare Max
  • ojays
    Free Member

Anyone had a Flare Max with the silver build and taken the Conti Trail King 2.2 standard option?

I have the bike ready to ship but had opted on a set of Maxxis DHR and had had them shipped direct to Cotic. Anyway it seems either Wiggle or Hermes have lost them as they have not moved in the delivery chain for over a week. I’m able to get a refund if they haven’t moved tomorrow.

I don’t really want to go with the WTB options as I didn’t like the vigilante/trail boss combo on another bike and the judge/verdict option is too heavy for what I want.

I’ve got the Hunt Trail wide wheel option which I think is 30mm internal.

I’m tempted to try the Trail King Option but thinking 2.2 could be too narrow on the rim (although they do spec it that way so guess maybe fine) and not sure of the compound they use is any good or not.

Anyone had the option and can give advice?

I’ll speak to Cotic tomorrow but thought others may have had experience.

Cheers

chiefgrooveguru

Whereabouts in the country are you? What are your local trails like in terms of dirt, rock, roots and steepness?

ojays
    Free Member

I don’t really ride much steep stuff.

Riding is mainly bridleways and tracks through woods, occasional peaks rides and the odd trail centre (maybe 2 a year). I’d describe them as generally rock based and wet, wooded areas are very rooty and prone to mud. I don’t ride anything too severe though but it’s very hilly. I’ve never ripped a tyre (touch wood) and usually ride standard EXO Maxxis or snakeskin Schwalbe.

Happy to just go with more Maxxis but I’m tempted to give the Trail Kings a whirl if people have good experience with them. I want a tyre to use all year really- done the switching and generally just prefer to fit once and leave!

Ta.

bsims
    Free Member

If the 2.4s are anything to go buy the 2.2s will be on the big side, not seen them in the rubber though.

chiefgrooveguru

I think you’ll be fine – the older cheap TKs were an awful compound but the newer ones are meant to be much closer to black chili grip. And the tread pattern always rolled well for its grip and the new version just has a more consistent row of edge knobs. TK 2.2 air volume is about the same as a DHR2 2.3

BearBack
    Free Member

I personally don’t see the point in the 2.2 TK in conti’s range.
    If you’re not going to go the high volume route, you’d be better off with a 2.3 MK imo.
    I’m running 2.4 TK front, 2.3 MK rear on 30mm rim just now.
    Per your concerns, I don’t think conti have the 2.2 with a 30mm rim width recommendation. The 2.3mk are 23-27mm rims.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Conti Tyres – Flare Max’ is closed to new replies.