• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by HB47.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Conti Rubber Queen Black Chili 2.2 or 2.4
  • HB47

How much of a difference is there between the 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the Conti Rubber Queen BC – I want them for all round XC riding and trail centers to put on my Yeti 575.

One problem is I can’t find anywhere in the UK that seems to have any of the 2.2s in stock

Thoughts ?

TomHill
    Free Member

2.4s are ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE. They roll well for the size, but definitely would not be my choice for general XC/trail centre stuff.

How about Maxxis Advantages in 2.2?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I use the 2.4 for trail centre playtime and as above, they are MAHOOOOOSIVE. No, I mean they are really rather large!

Great fun, though! Not really a general XC tyre, IMO. Might be better off with the new Mountain King 2, or perhaps a mix of 2.2 rear/2.4 front on the RQs.

Roll really well for such a big tyre and are really predictable when it comes to both cornering and braking.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HB47

thanks, it has taken me long enough to make up my mind on the Contis, so now I am on a quest – there must be at least one pair somewhere in the UK

norcbot
    Free Member

Just had a look ith the supplyer all of the 2.2 and a few of the 2.4 rubber queens are out (with madison). There is no date for when they are back in. you should be able to get the ust 2.4’s no problem though.

HB47

Yep, unless a shop has a pair sitting in a corner somewhere then it will be August before I can get some – pain

househusband
    Free Member

Have you tried any of the bike shops in mainland Europe? Bike24, hibike, etc.

neninja
    Free Member

2.2 black chili in stock here –
    http://www.nextdaytyres.com/Tyres/Continental/Rubber-Queen.aspx?ID=13536

I use one on the front of my Helius CC for everything now – big for a 2.2, the 2.4 would be too big for me. Awesome grip from the 2.2 on the front (run a Maxxis Advantage Exc 2.1 rear) – with an Advantage on the front, it let go unexpectedly a few times, the 2.2 RQ black chili seems to really dig and is very predictable.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Keswick bike have some with blackchilli compound

HB47

Thanks, will call them first thing – really appreciate the help

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.4 RQ on the rear of my Soul, it was all my lbs had in stock at the time in BC compound, it’s ridiculously large! Got a more acceptable 2.2 on the front, really surprised how well the 2.4 rolls for its size though and it does help compensate a little for my less than subtle line choices when i forget i’m on my hardtail and not the full suss.

MussEd
    Free Member

Steved – swap them round…now! Put the biggy on the front, and the smaller one on the back…

stevede
    Free Member

MussEd – fair shout that, will be quicker rolling then won’t it. Fitted them at seperate times and never really thought about swapping them round, can’t see the wood for the trees sometimes! Cheers 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

i use 2.4 RQs. good tyre. doesn’t stop me from riding XC, or whatever that means.

please, flash. don’t go recommending Mountain Kings. they are more pants than a pair of sh”t stained knickers.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I got a 2.2 and it JUST fits under the arch of my rebas. This will probably vary with model years and rims etc but there is no way a 2.4 would fit mine without rubbing.

Northwind

alpin – Member

please, flash. don’t go recommending Mountain Kings. they are more pants than a pair of sh”t stained knicker

Tried the new ones? I’m hoping they’ve learned from the extensive failings of the last version…

2.4 fits in a current model Revelation but I had to cut the mold hairs off it as they flapped against the crown and made an annoying noise 🙂 Not much clearance at the top of the arch. They’re a genuine 2.4 across but tall.

Wasn’t very impressed with them really, especially not at the price but others do like ’em. I thought “Hey, this is fast for a massive tyre” then shortly after I picked myself off the ground and thought “Hey, this has surprisingly little cornering grip for a massive tyre” 😆

alpin
    Free Member

yes, i’ve tried the new ones. i had a set fitted to my guide bike out in Gran Canaria. the side walls tore off on the first outing. ok in a straight line but not so hot in the corners. swapped them out that evening for 2.2 RQs. these weren’t the Black Chilli compound.

find the RQs a good all-round tyre. no need for trimming them with Lyrik and 29mm rims.

Northwind

Cheers for the review… Not too surprised the non-BC version’s poor though, they usually are.

Oh, fwiw the trimming wasn’t of the tyre itself, only of the “hairs” which it had, which were enormous. All looked a bit eraserhead!

kamina
    Free Member

Had a pair of 2.4 RQ’s which weighed close to the claimed weight, but a buddy needed tires so I gave them to him and ordered a pair of UST’s. They weighed 100 / 150g over spec meaning they where really in the range of DH tires. Decided not to mount them and get the regular ones, they where about 150g over spec too.

Nice tires, roll well and grip well. They do have a tendency to roll under with very low pressures, but that’s probably due to the huge volume. Now I’m running Schwalbe’s (Big Betties). The new Trailstar compound is great, rolls almost as well, better traction, lighter and manages low air pressures better.

I’ve understood the 2.2 RQ is quite different to the 2.4. It’s still massive, but the side walls are thinner resulting in maybe more of an xc tire? A lot of people say they have had sealant seeping through the sidewalls on those tires, while the 2.4’s sidewalls always felt pretty thick.

You better check how much clearance your bike has on the rear, I could see a lot of bikes having problems with the 2.4’s on the rear.

HB47

Thanks to all.

Ordered from Keswick Bikes this morning. NextDaytyres sold their last pair last night on line.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Conti Rubber Queen Black Chili 2.2 or 2.4’ is closed to new replies.