Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Conti Mountain King supersonic or Nobby Nic Evos?
  • organic355
    Free Member

I am sure this has been done before but couldn't find it.

Looking for a light weight Xc tyre.

Whats the pros and cons of each and any other alternatives to replace my panaracer fie xcs at 616g each?

Contis are supposed to be 460g in 2.2", whats the weight of the NNs in a 2.1 or 2.25?

johnners
    Free Member

I found the MKs to be awfully fragile – split the sidewalls on 2 of the ordinary folders in quick succession. Don't fancy your chances with the Supersonics!

Nothing useful to say about NNs – sorry.

organic355
    Free Member

Thanks Johnners

Anyone else have views on the NN's?

Seamus
    Free Member

NN 2.25 weigh 570g. They appear small for a 2.25, closer to 2.1 I would say. I've only riden a couple of times, feel grippy on the front considering the current conditions, but I can't comment on durability

scaredypants

I've done about 100 miles on a NN evo tubeless in the new forest

Lots of little bits of flint mixed up in the mud has led to 2 holes that jizz couldn't deal with. 1st one fixed at home with a repair patch on the inside, 2nd one has just about cut off one of the nobbles from the carcass & I doubt I can repair it well enough to work as a tubeless.

Much less robust than I'd hoped but may depend on your terrain

pinches
    Free Member

i've got the 2.1s on my on one at the moment since its been a bit wetter and really like them. they're nice and light, around 460g i think when i weighed mine, my ralphs were 440g ish.

i like the nics since the grounds been softer, not had any punctures especially as most of where i ride is chalk

Garry_Lager

I've ridden NNs loads in the UST version. Best all-round tyre I've used, in terms of compromise between grip, weight and rollability. They've been really durable for me, just replacing one now after about 14 months and it's still in reasonable shape. I've seen more than a few posts on here bewailing ripped side walls, though, so maybe the UST version is a bit tougher.

If weight is your #1 priority there must be plenty of tyres out there that are lighter with acceptable amounts of grip. The NN is more of a great all-rounder.

rj
    Free Member

I replaced a High Roller with a 2.4 Nobby Nic up front. Don't notice it being less grippy, but definitely faster rolling.

pinches
    Free Member

i would say the handling of a nobby nic is quite similar to a high roller, only very fast rolling

Kahurangi

I have been running Supersonic MK's this year since Easter. Did the Dyfi Enduro fine, enough pinch flats, now tubeless.

augustuswindsock

I put NN's on my 5spot for trip to verbier summer 08, and they've been on majority of the time since and I rate 'em, excellent grip, put a NN snakeskin on rear for added protection, no worries!

organic355
    Free Member

Pinches was that the evos at 460g? Are the snakeskins a lot heavier?

schmiken

Live in Suffolk so can't comment on rock durability, but love the whole Evo range – Freds, Ralphs, Rons and Nics. Fast rolling tyres, lightweight, great grip. (All run tubeless!)

flyingfox
    Free Member

I'm 15 stone and run Nobby Nics year round. Love them, never had a problem with them at all. They roll fast and still grip in the slop, when they stop gripping, they slide predictably, which I don't find High Rollers. Magical. Get a Schwalbe Black Shark on the front if you really feel the need for grip in the mud.

giantjason
    Free Member

i have just put NN's on my hardtail and had high rollers on before that. i have found them great in all but the muddiest of conditions. as said above they have similar grip to a HR but are really fast rolling.

as the weather has now got wetter and therefore muddier i have went to a mud specific tyre on the rear but keep the NN up front.

daveb
    Free Member

I have used NN in 2.1 and 2.25, find them to be much faster rolling than the High rollers, good grip as well

Eldrik
    Free Member

organic355 – details on weights, sizes etc for the entire Schwalbe range are at:

http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/produkte/mtb/produkt/?ID_Einsatzbereich=5&showAllProducts=true

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I'll vote for the Nobby Nics, much more cornering grip than the Mountain Kings.

organic355
    Free Member

I am going to give the Nobby's a try, so 2.1 or 2.25?

Mainly Scottish trail centres and natural cross country, for a xc hardtail.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

2.25 NN's are great.

Supersonics are rubbish, the side walls split all the time. The protection Mk's are great but weigh more than NN's so go with NN's.

I run a 2.25 NN on teh front and an RR on teh rear of my 4X race bike and the combo is much better than the High rollers I was running the year before.

organic355
    Free Member

Any votes for the 2.1s? I heard they come up small?

glenncampbell

Have 2.1 EVO NN's front and rear on tubeless and they've been great for over 1 year. Done 400+ miles off road and they're still going strong. Rear had a slash in it from a piece of glass – used a tubeless repair kit and have done some 200 odd miles on it without a problem.

Supersonics are super light and super thin – your risk in rock gardens so wouldn't advise them – if you get them FFS get some emergency tyre boots as you'll need them.

Good luck!

organic355
    Free Member

glenncampbell, you say you are running tubeless, is that with the UST version? I heard the 2.1 USTs are actually a 2.1, but the non USTs come up small?

glenncampbell

Have 2.1 EVO NN's front and rear on tubeless and they've been great for over 1 year. Done 400+ miles off road and they're still going strong. Rear had a slash in it from a piece of glass – used a tubeless repair kit and have done some 200 odd miles on it without a problem.

Supersonics are super light and super thin – your risk in rock gardens so wouldn't advise them – if you get them FFS get some emergency tyre boots as you'll need them.

Good luck!

organic355
    Free Member

Anyone know where you can get these NN's with the white text and red detail as opposed to the silver letters?

EDIT: Its seems they are exclusive CUBE designs, shame because i quite fancy a pair in those colours

organic355
    Free Member

anyone else used the 2.1s?

I want to get something ordered today.

pinches
    Free Member

i've got 2.1s and they don't come up huge, probably about "right" for a 2.1 though

njee20
    Free Member

Yep I use the 2.1s, they're fine for an XC tyre, about the same size as the Fire XC Pros, would use the 2.25" if it was only for trail centre use though.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive ordered some 2.1s off ebay for a reasonable £55 (for 2) Ill see how I get on.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Conti Mountain King supersonic or Nobby Nic Evos?’ is closed to new replies.