Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Conti GP4000sII’s – stringy threads coming off …
  • iainc

my front one, which is not yet half worn seems to be shedding threadlike strings from the sides, a few mm out from the rims – 25mm version and discs. Any idea why, and is it a problem ?

timba
    Free Member

If it’s like mine then it’s the fabric that protects the tyre wall from chafing by the wheel rim

I found that the UK importers, Cambrian Tyres, were excellent but you’ll have to return it to the retailer initially

iainc

^^^^ that sounds exactly what it is, thanks.  I think on that basis I’ll just leave it and cuutbtgeoo spwhen they come away, as it’s the edge most distant from the rim that’s fraying. Might even smear some light glue over it…

iainc

Some vinyl glue spread over edges and will see if that stops it, cheers

mrb123
    Free Member

I’ve had that too. Haven’t died so far…

iainc

^^^^ always reassuring to know 😜

iainc

Vinyl glue appears to have stopped the string shredding 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Seems to be a thing with road tyres, all mine have done it as far as I can remember.

Once it starts I pick it off carefully then run a razor blade round the tyre to cut it off.

I did wonder if it was possible to fill the gap between the tyre and rim with bathroom sealant for added aero, IIRC mavic once made a wheel/tyre for tri bikes that had a clip in fairing but the UCI wouldn’t allow it.

iainc

cheers, never noticed on previous tyres of same model, I guess you learn something new every day !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Conti GP4000sII’s – stringy threads coming off …’ is closed to new replies.