Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Conti Baron 2.3 – How big are they? General reviews too.
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Conti baron users, how big do your tyres come out at?

Ideally comparative to a 2.3 minion or 2.5 high roller.

I really like the feel of bulbous, big DH tyres, however not a fan of the weight on trail duties. I still want that plough through rock gardens and not worry about pinches or tears if i stray on to the wrong line. The walls strong on these?

Black chilli vs regular compound, i’d be more than happy with them if the reg compound was similar to a maxxis 60a.

Mike_T

Guys,

Does anyone know if you can tubless the folding 2.3 Baron?
    and
    If a 2.3 will fit the rear of a tracer 1?

Cheers Mike

RV
    Free Member

I used the Black Chilli barons in the Alps this year as i had got fed up with destroying maxi’s after a few days and then having to hope that we don’t get rain. I’d say that the barons are not quite as big as the 2.5 high roller but are on par with the 2.4 xking. I was using them in a Cannondale RZ140 and they fit just fine in the rear and no issues with Fox 32’s. I only had one high speed blow out in 10 days of riding and the tyres kept gripping the whole never giving me cause for concern. The wear rate on them is fantastic, they really don’t look like they have been through the grief i gave them and will be used again and again. Due to the new prices of the maxi’s they are not a million miles apart but after a week in the Alps the maxi’s are good for nothing other than the bin. The Barons will keep me going for lots more big rides. the side walls are tough, quite like the 2.2 rubber queens UST and so you could possibly use them as UST though they didn’t have a specific UST when I got mine. I used to rate double deffence nobby nicks but the barons are a better tyre for rugged use.
    They get a thumbs up from me, I’ll be fitting them again for Wales next month.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toons
    Free Member

It’s actually quite narrow for a 2.3; Looks narrower than the 2.2 rubber queen I have on the rear, it should fit the tracer.

I switched from Minion DHF 2.3 ST and so far the Baron black chilli has been better in the muddy conditions.

I tried to tubeless the RQ’s (non-ust version) without success, so I wouldn’t hold out much hope. Conti said they’re bringing the UST version in 2012.

Shandy
    Free Member

I have one on the front, the casing is slightly smaller than the 2.2 Rubber Queen that I have on the back but the distance across the tread is similar – the Baron has deeper tread. I would say they size up similar to 2.35 Maxxis. I really like it, it digs in especially well on soft ground and the grip is consistent as you lean the bike over. I had a High Roller 2.35 on the front before which felt a bit skatey. I got the Black Chilli because I had read a few reports about the non-Chilli Continentals being a bit Teflon.

Shackleton

I run a Chilli one on the front. It is the same width knob-knob as the 2.2 RQ on the rear but the casing is narrower but still quite tall. Definitely bigger than a 2.35 minion but narrower than a 2.5 HR. They have quite a round profile on my DT Swiss 5.1d rim (28mm wide) compared to a 2.2 RQ on the same rim.

I have found that it needs something to bite on, probably because the knobbles are rather big. On smooth hardpack it feels a bit squirrely and vague through corners but on soft ground or loose stuff it is great. Very consitent bite at all angles of lean so far and works very well under braking. Really liking it for natural stuff but I imagine trail centres would be better suited to a less knobbly tyre.

Side walls seem tougher (Apex reinforcement or something I think?) than the rubber queen but I’ve not had any trouble with either in the UK. They seem to resist pinch flats well (based on me riding down steps with pressure somewhere around 15psi. I could see them deforming almost to the rim and I was waiting for the bang and crash…but it never came.) Certainly tougher than ADvantage or Crossmark sidewalls!

I personally wouldn’t buy non-chilli contis for wet or slippy riding. And although they are pricey the chilli compound wears very well.

honourablegeorge

Where do you get the bloody things? I’d like to try them, can never find them in stock, or for reasonable money

Shackleton

Try here, 4 in stock!

Baron 2.3 black chilli

And it depends on what you term reasonable money. I paid £45 for mine and think it is much better value than some tyres I’ve bought for £15. I can’t see what the fuss is about expensive tyres, there is a lot of r&d, materials, etc in them and at the end of the day are one of the most important parts of your bike, being the only contact point between you and the ground. Unless you use rubbish tyres, in which case you get to use your face as well 😀

Mike_T

Thanks for the responces guy’s

Another question to ponder over;

RQ’s or Baron’s for winter, as a do it all tyre?

At the moment i’m running MAxxis DHF 40a up front and an Advantage rear.

???

toons
    Free Member

Baron’s for winter, RQ’s for summer

chakaping
    Free Member

deanbfm – I have some 2.4in RQs I’m going to flog if you like it big and bulbous, email in profile.

Gotama
    Free Member

Presumably the Queens and Barons that Halfords sell are the non Black Chilli compound hence why they’re so cheap?

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Be interested to hear how they compare gripwise to Minion 2.35 DHF supertacky’s on the front, as I have leart to really trust these + don’t want to loose leanability.
    Why don’t maxxis make a 2.35 super tacky folding Minion anymore?? Ace front tyre, a UST one would be perfect… Would a Barron do a similar job?

chakaping
    Free Member

Why don’t maxxis make a 2.35 super tacky folding Minion anymore??

Don’t they? shit

honourablegeorge

Try here, 4 in stock!

Baron 2.3 black chilli

And it depends on what you term reasonable money. I paid £45 for mine and think it is much better value than some tyres I’ve bought for £15. I can’t see what the fuss is about expensive tyres, there is a lot of r&d, materials, etc in them and at the end of the day are one of the most important parts of your bike, being the only contact point between you and the ground. Unless you use rubbish tyres, in which case you get to use your face as well

No problem paying for decent tyres… but the Barons have been crazy money on a feww sites, and always seem to be out of stock on Wiggle. I’ll nab a set now though

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Not used the 2.3s but use the 2.5 BC for DH and the 2.2 RQ BC for trail riding, can’t see myself going back to Maxxis now and I was a big fan of Minions and HRs.

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

It was a difficult selection for my front tyre but I was eventually drawn to the Bontrager XR4 2.2 (Team Issue TLR). It looks a well priced all rounder 3 season summer tyre. However English summer for the last 4 years has been wet and muddy, and this year although warmer June has been a wash out. So instead I am seriously considering Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili with 180tpi (850g) as my all round / year tyre. Baron doesn’t have many write up’s but all are good and it appears a good choice for British conditions. My only worry is on some rides we do many miles on roads, and it is not a hard pack tyre. What do you guys running it think about it on roads and for U.K. conditions?
    I think I will probably go with it and see, but I shall then be asking opinions for a rear to match it.

Northwind

Someone called Biketyremeasuringnerd? (worst superpower ever)

This is a Baron 2.3 Black Chili. Measured at the widest points, on a fairly wide DT540 rim, it came up at 57.91mm (53.82 across the carcass rather than the knobs). So that’s 2.28 inches.

As far as height goes, the total height inc the rim was 74.19, so fairly typical.

IMO it is a bloody superb tyre when there’s mud about. Made the Swampthing instantly irrelevant tbh.

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

Would you recommend another Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili to match or another tyre either front or back, for all year all round use?

What tyre is best to pair with Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili?
    Thanks!

Northwind

Just posted in other thread

stevede
    Free Member

I ran a Baron black chilli 2.3 up front and a High Roller 2 exo 2.4 60a rear up until last month and really rate that combo, when winter comes round the Baron will be going back on (Minion exo dhf has replaced it at the moment) – had a Baron on the rear too but tore it twice and came to the conclusion that it probably wasn’t up to what i was using it for on the rear, spot on up front though.

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili 3ply 180tpi folding tyre.
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20baron.shtml
    1) Light mud, winter U.K tyre.
    2) Tested in all conditions except winter / snow / ice.
    3) Run on the front with an inner tube at 38spi, rider weight 71 kilos.
    4) Entry level Giant MTB 26in wheels
    5) Excellent. Reliable, dependable, trustworthy tyre that gives confidence.

http://ride.io/wp-content/uploads/stories/reviews/Continental/Baron/conti-baron-tread.jpg

I haven’t had a lot of experience with different tyres so I am no expert, but I will give you my opinion on this tyre.
    I have been running this new Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili 3ply 180tpi folding tyre now for 5 weeks and completed a number of different rides. Totalling 164 miles in different conditions and on multiple surfaces and on varied terrain. I use an inner tube at 38psi.
    The Baron is classed as a light mud and U.K. winter tyre, but I opted for this because the last few British summers have been wet and muddy.
    I put the Baron on the front and this replaced a no name standard Kenda 1.95 with a trail tread. I am running the same economy Kenda 1.95 with a trail tread on the back with inner tube at MIN 40psi.
    This Baron is obviously wider, but it is also higher with more volume, and weighs in at 765grams. It appears to be accurate, measuring 2.3 inches wide at 38psi.

The first ride I did 23 miles on dry tarmac roads which included a few hills. No problems with the tyre. I was concerned when cornering on roads that the grip might not be as good due to it being a knobbly tyre rather than a slicker tyre with more contact, but it was fine. The Baron also rolled smoothly.
    Looking at the stats my run was slightly faster, so I would not say it was a slow tyre, but the ride seemed much harder, and I was more exhausted.

The second ride 66.5 miles on a flat ride, with 27 miles off road on tracks and trails, then 40 miles on dry tarmac roads.
    The trail started dry on rough and stony, then softer trail, then wet and puddles followed by grass, then mud, then onto dryer single track then tram line ruts and farm fields. The Baron took everything in it’s stride, but I particularly noticed a big difference in the mud. I was cautious when entering the mud because I used to slide but this Baron was sure footed. I noticed on a number of times the back Kenda tyre lost it and slid out, but the Baron was nailed down and held the bike, and so my confidence grew. Mud was cleared instantly.
    The final stage of the ride was on tarmac and against a constant head wind. After some miles I was slowing and getting exhausted and it was hard work. My friend on another tyre felt the same so this could have been the head wind or the bigger Baron tyre.

The third ride 32.5 miles off road I was having fun and never doubted this tyre. Through wet, dry, firm, loose, soft, hard, up, down, slippery, and sharp stuff, it did the job.
    A couple more shorter rides in the rain and again I had no complaints.

Finally a damp, dry, slimy, then wet weekend riding on technical and aggressive MTB trails, graded green, red and a black. This threw everything at this tyre with many different surfaces and terrain, from dry loose gravel, to hard rock, slippery stone, dirt, wet grass, deep mud, wet slippery roots, damp logs and damp wooden boards, through rocky streams, plus jagged grit stone drops, and it never slipped once! Numerous times my back economy Kenda tyre slide and did some huge slides, but the front Baron tyre held tight and saved me. A few friends on other tyres commented how slippery sections were but I on the Baron never noticed.
    No sign of damage so far, and it is impossible so soon to tell how it is wearing.
    I also tested braking on different surfaces and didn’t notice a problem, so I have every confidence in this tyre. However I didn’t get a real opportunity to test the grip when banking over to use the side tread.

http://www.westernbikeworks.com/productimages/images450/cobar2-1.jpg

So far I am liking this tyre and would highly recommend it, and give it 5 out of 5. I may well get another for the rear.
    I generally just use the same tyres all year round, and this tyre suits at the moment. But if we started to get dry hot summers, I may be tempted to change for summer to a less knobbly tyre like a Bontrager XR4 TLR Expert 2.35.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Got them on my genesis core 40 both front and back , brilliant tyres , done 1200 miles on my last set almost all off road and never got a single puncture , unlike the mountain kings I used to use , defo great tyres

cazum
    Free Member

anyone had the non-chilli version thoughts?

kennyp
    Free Member

I run one on the front. Don’t have much to compare them against, but they seem pretty good. Not great in mud, but very good with rocks.

cazum
    Free Member

just looking for opinions as my current setup of maxxis ardent and maxxis minion on the rear, wasn’t that great today…. up and over my local hill’s lots of mud and wet grass/mixed with a few hill walkers paths… but i just felt the grip wasn’t that… i have a baron laying about and it looks meaty! looking at reviews looks like it could be my perfect tyre but i only have a non-chilli version wondering whether to fit it and try or get two black-chilli’s…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Conti Baron 2.3 – How big are they? General reviews too.’ is closed to new replies.