Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • contents insurance – how much do you pay?
  • brakes
    Free Member

been quoted £280 for £40k contents insurance, including 4 bikes separately covered. £100 excess. house in North London. Nice area. Own entrance, garden.
    seems expensive to me. is it?

brakes
    Free Member

anyone?

savaphil
    Free Member

Sounds cheap unless it’s per month.
    I pay £40 per month for £25K contents including 4 named bikes (covered at home or out and about).
    However, first time having contents insurance of my own (curse moving out of home eh!) and it’s a rented property.
    Cheapest I could find who would actually cover the bikes.

legend
    Free Member

M&S renewal is just in – £375 unlimited building and contents if that helps

Cougar

My M&S renewal is just in too – £517 unlimited building and contents for a crappy two-bed mid terrace. I think they’ll be getting a phone call.

savaphil
    Free Member

My parents have M&S. Had 2 bikes replaced through them a year or so ago, new for old. No questions, no fuss, nice to deal with.

speaker2animals

£192 with M&S after renewal, £168 last year. Mid terrace house in Stoke on Trent. £40,000 contents and up to £4000 for unnamed items away from home.

Not really realistic, you need someone from your area to tell you what they pay as premiums are very area specific as well as other factors.

totalshell

oldham crime central semi ..buildings and contents ( 50k) 119 pa rochdale detached building and contents 149 pa

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

check that £40k is actually enough – Hiscox have default values that are much more realistic

brakes
    Free Member

that was the default value

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

that was the default value

which is often way too low.

The Hiscox site asked for the type of residence, number of bedrooms, etc, then came up with £110k for me. It then suggests you actually go round the house and add up the cost of replacement carpets, curtains, sofas, chairs, tv, hifi, etc, and for me it came out about right.

Their quote was about the same quote as others, or cheaper, and I had some history with them through professional insurance. When my wife engagement ring broke and lost a stone they were very low hassle.

So beware of being underinsured and giving the insurance company some ammo to hit you with.

brakes
    Free Member

we don’t have a lot of stuff, certainly not £100k, even £40k sounds like a lot. And what is the probability of losing the entire contents of your home? more interested in insuring against theft rather than fire or destruction.
    Will check out Hiscox though, thanks.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And what is the probability of losing the entire contents of your home?

fire, gas explosion…

try totting it all up anyway, you might be surprised.

br
    Free Member

more interested in insuring against theft rather than fire or destruction.

Eh, thieves will probably only take a few ‘valuable’ items, a fire could take the lot…

BoardinBob

M&S
    £40k contents only including legal cover & accidental damage away from home
    £12 a month

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

£200 including all risks / away from home and including all my bikes. M&S

brakes
    Free Member

Eh, thieves will probably only take a few ‘valuable’ items, a fire could take the lot…

exactly, so why not just insure against that, rather than worrying about the unlikely event of a gas explosion/ fire (ignoring the fact that next door are having a new central heating and electrical system fitted)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

M&S wont insure me because my rented property is in a high flood or subsidence area 🙁

Who else is good for contents and bikes? (I know there’s other threads somewhere but I thought this would be a sensible time to ask)

brakes
    Free Member

I’m currently looking at AA who seem good for bikes (as itemised valuables) in garages/ sheds and away from home.
    Gone are the days of unlimited cover for unlisted bikes which M&S were famed for.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘contents insurance – how much do you pay?’ is closed to new replies.