Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Contemplating joining a mtb club
  • Lummox

Hi everyone, hope you’ve had a great festive break.

I’m hoping for a bit of advice, experiences and suggestions please.

I’ve been a solo/ small group of chums rider since I started 20 odd years ago, like it that way riding is a happy sometimes personal place for me however life has kinda grabbed us all in one way or another and my regular riding is getting harder due to competing priorities for us all.

Clubs have never really flicked my switch but I’m wondering if they’re a good way of getting/motivating to get some regular miles in the legs.

Looking at Hampshire area really, I’m Southampton/ Winchester based. Can travel and as a shift worker weekday/evenings work well rather than the weekend.

Any suggestions for riding groups local to me, so far have found

Newforce
    Dorset rough riders
    Fareham wheelers (roadie biased it seems)

ampthill

I joined a club recently. It’s been great

kayak23

First rule of mtb club…

CheesybeanZ

First rule of mtb club…

Don’t be over biked !

ta11pau1

Look for local Facebook groups that do regular rides, and also shop rides – I’m a solo rider, don’t have a regular riding mate, but do ride with these groups pretty frequently.

Lummox

Thanks for the replies.

I’d say I’m bike club curious, I do like the thought of having a ‘reason’ to go out or even something to look forward to. Sounds bleak, it’s really not that bad but I’ve found I’ve started to go shorter and shorter distances as I feel the time pinch. If I was doing a ‘thing’ then it takes the time that it takes.

Akers

Facebook is a good place to start, there are usually a few groups in most areas. One that is particularly good and has lots of regular rides around that south coast area, and many further afield, is MTB Fanatics. The group was founded to help riders meet others in the same situation and get out more in groups.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think it depends what you are into.

I looked at Dorset rough riders and new force when I moved down here (Dorset). They both seemed friendly but mainly retired or semi retired age range and hence interested in xc miles munching (nothing wrong with that). It seemed that was the focus of most clubs with the odd annual Wales trip. Loose groups of mates seemed to be more into meeting up at random unofficial spots sessioning a section etc. Which is personally more my thing.

Lummox

@thebrick

To be fair, you’ve sorta said what I was wondering from the club pages and pictures. Lots of smiles on show but seem to be trips around the down land bridleways.

jimmy748

Dorset rough riders is 99% Bournemouth\Poole based. There are a couple of off shoots from the club that ride slightly more interesting stuff on a Wednesday night, 1 group over Gore Heath and another group that meet at the same time and place in Broadstone on Wednesdays, but it’s not an official club ride. DM me if you’d like to join in.

There is a Facebook group called MTB Fanatics that have a lot of presence/group rides in the Hampshire region.

40mpg

I’m a member of both newforce and the roughies, as I live slap bang between both. Know a few others who are similar. Only ride occasionally with either just for a change, ride different places with different people but it’s nice to have the option.

Both are more xc focused but have groups who break out to do different stuff – bike parks, jumps, gravel, even road. Turn up, ask around, see what suits, do what you want. Both are about £15 a year membership which gets you on the regular rides, opportunities for trips, and 2 or 3 events a year with the roughies – so not breaking the bank. I think you can try a few rides before joining – certainly with newforce. So nothing to lose by giving it a try, maybe see you out there!

This post has remined me that I promised myself I’d join the Dorset Rough Riders in 2022, so its given me the nudge I needed to get it done. I did ride with them a few times when I moved back to Dorset in 2014 but family life & work got in the way, so its time to put that right and start getting some more miles under my belt.

rOcKeTdOg

I couldn’t find one that did the sort of riding I was interested in so I started my own. There’s about 15 of us now, early days but there’s always someone in the WhatsApp group up for a ride.

Lummox

Thanks for the replies everyone, certainly some similar views and things to explore in the new year. Time creation will be my biggest hurdle but hopefully I can crack that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Contemplating joining a mtb club’ is closed to new replies.