• This topic has 253 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mt.
Viewing 14 posts - 241 through 254 (of 254 total)
  • Contador suspended 2 years
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Go for it fella.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/16937377
    Especially as no one has been able to demonstrate that the ingestion was anything but accidental. Guilty by speculation.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

don simon – Member

Go for it fella.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/16937377
    Especially as no one has been able to demonstrate that the ingestion was anything but accidental. Guilty by speculation.

Guilty by evidence I am afraid.

The UCI/WADA only had to prove that he had a banned substance in his blood stream which they did.
    Once that had been proven then the onus was him to prove that it’s presence was unintential/accidental. He didn’t.

He lost the case, he has effectively only been banned from competition for 7 months so its time for everyone to move on.

nick3216
    Free Member

I love you all my drug filled beauties! Ride like the wind! I am ready to be heart broken

Needs to be said in Brian Blessed voice for full effect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    I’ve always claimed that he had to be treated as innocent until proven guilty, he’s now been proven guilty and will hopefully take the ban on the chin. I have no issue with this.

Proven guilty 🙄 As was clear from the beginning. The contaminated beef cock and bull story does not stand up in any way, he managed to get the evidence on his blood doping not heard.

aracer
    Free Member

Go for it fella.

His only possible appeal now is on procedural matters – no more possibility of contesting the facts of the case. I suspect any chance of winning such an appeal was scotched with the panel ruling that Michael Ashenden couldn’t testify (which would have been grounds for WADA to appeal on procedure had they lost).

Good luck with that.

aracer
    Free Member

The contaminated beef cock and bull story does not stand up in any way

Is he now suggesting he ate contaminated chicken as well?

bigdawg
    Free Member

someone over on the Inner Ring has done a bit of homework, looks like the beef story was total bull (sorry….)

[/i]I just went through the report. One section that stood out for me was #16 in the in the “II. Factual Background Section” “A blood sample was also taken on Mr Contador on the morning of 20 July 2010. Such blood samples also contained clenbuterol at a concentration of around 1 ug/ml”

July 20th is the morning of Stage 16. If you don’t remember that was the day Armstrong went into the break and it also included many HC climbs. It was also the day before the rest day and Alberto’s infamous tainted steak. Why go through the motions of tracing the source of the steak, or even claiming that the steak was the source of the failed test, when he tested positive the day before?

Downhille
    Free Member

My favourite was Vinokourov…he was sooo tough, with the bloody knees and the dirt in every orifice on that wet gravel stage, in the 2010 Giro. Now he seems like a Superhero character, and a bit of a joke. My heart was really broken by him !! I’m alright now though

Miguelo

At bigdawg;
    I was shocked when i read it too, but apparently that’s a typo, it should read 21st, not 20

bigdawg
    Free Member

fairdos – Iwas sure someone would have noticed it beforehand if it had been a day out..

mt
    Free Member

Canal Plus the French TV Company maybe sued by the Spanish Tennis Federation over a comedy program that claims that Nadal and all “Spanish athletes do not win by chance”. They broadcast after Contadors ban. Seems they are all at it in Spain, no wonder it’s the place to go and get your winter miles in.

Miguelo

Also, Dr Ashenden did testify about the transfusion theory. He could not testify though about the use of phthalate-free bags for transfusion of plasma.

TiRed

In that piece, is he talking about re-analysing the results of a urine test from 1999, with greater insight into EPO with what we know now, or literally re-testing urine from 1999

He was retesting the 1999 samples. When we collect samples, the assay must have a stability criteria that is established. Once a sample is outside that stability, the results cannot be deemed accurate. Mind you, it’s an interesting physiology that can “grow” a residual cysteine amino acid residue on endogenous# EPO!

The Science bit for those that care…

Artificial EPO is made by bacteria using recombinant DNA placed inside the cell. When they produce the protein, it is cleaved and leaves an extra amino acid on the end (cysteine). The old tests could not detect this – they just measured total levels of EPO in blood and urine. The new test can tell if the EPO being detected was made by your own body or by some bacteria in a fermentation plant in Thousand Oaks (Amgen).

Similarly, the new blood reticulocyte testing is fantastic and unequivocal. Your blood cells have a distribution of ages. Take some out and store them, and they stop ageing. Put them back in and you get a sudden large population of younger cells in the blood. Where did they magically come from?

The comment about Pfizer winning next years TDF made me laugh out loud! But you really meant Amgen vs. Janssen (Epogen vs. Eprex). Or will generic EPO from India make an entry?

#EDIT : endogenous = produced by your own body

mt
    Free Member

djaustin – that science lot was really interesting. Thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 241 through 254 (of 254 total)

The topic ‘Contador suspended 2 years’ is closed to new replies.