Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Contact lenses – same prescription as specs?
  • Woody
    Free Member

Went to the local opticians (support local business haha) and had an eye test last week. Ordered two pairs of specs and they said I needed another test re contacts. Fine I thought……..until they wanted another £50 on top of what I’d just paid for my eye test! It was always free when I used a well known high street retailer.

I’ve used contacts for nearly 30 years with no problems, so just wanted to check that prescription strength is the same before I order online as I seem to remember that this sometimes needs to be reduced.

gatsby
    Free Member

If your glasses correct astigmatism or anything other than straightforward short/long-sitedness, I think they can be a bit more complicated.

I have those weighted ones that correct astigmatism. My old lenses were just straightforward -1.5/-1.75, same as my glasses…

G

simon_g

My contact lens prescription has always been different to my glasses one, and they aren’t directly correlated either – sometimes one or the other has changed.

£50 every 2 years isn’t bad, given the eye problems that can be caused by contact lenses. Or some of the high street opticians roll it into the monthly cost if you’re buying from them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hels
    Free Member

The online retailers aren’t meant to sell to you unless you have an up to date contact lens check from an optometrists. I have been navigating this system for years – I don’t wear them every day thus don’t have monthly direct debit and qualify for free test.

After lots of mumping on my part to Specsavers – had been buying from them for years and they had the records to prove that, they finally started waiving the fee for the yearly test – and even decided I only needed one every two years (how generous)- but refused to give me a copy (which they can’t do, but decided to pick my battles)

Woody
    Free Member

I used to go to Specsavers and lense prescription was always the same as glasses as I have bog standard shortsight, Thought it was an annual check though.

I’ve been using an online company for years (daily disposables)and they are a huge improvement on monthlies.

Duane…
    Free Member

My glasses and contacts are not the same prescription.

Also, I changed from one brand of contacts to another brand, and the prescription of them changed by 0.25.

nickc

You should be able to get a copy of your prescription*. If your contact lens ‘script is different, they should give you one for specs and one for lenses.

My contact lens and specs ‘scripts are the same.

*your optician should give it to you without you having to ask for it (it’s the rules)

jkomo

If you buy online, expect a charge for the check up. Checking the prescription is only one aspect,
    The optician will also be looking at the health of the eye. The Speccies fee is £20, or if you go on direct debit with them it’s free, as is your sight test and a pair of basic specs every 2 years.
    A contact lens check is very very important. You can go for years abusing your eyes with over wear and then one day, you get told, that’s it, no more lenses again ever.
    You probably spend more on arse cream or car parks at your local trail centre in a month than £20 every one or two years.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Went to specsavers the other month as they are/were? Offering a free trial on lenses.
    Been a year since my last test and they gave me a free one as part of the trial which turned out to be almost the same.

stumpyjon

Asda work for me, cheap lenses online, free contact lense check annually and an eye test is only £15 once every two years. You’re a muppet if you try to avoid the checks, they’re for your benefit not the opticians, it can pick up issues other than deterioration in your sight.

Woody
    Free Member

You probably spend more on arse cream or car parks at your local trail centre in a month than £20 every one or two years.

Never had the need for arse cream and I’m lucky enough to have trails right outside my door but I take your point 😉

I’ll get the checks done as it’s not worth the risk but as I’ve already had an eye test, what exactly do they check in addition re contact wear? Is it for wear/problems on the conjunctiva/cornea?

stumpyjon

The contact lens checks fit and function of your lenses and checks your eyes are getting enough oxygen. A full eye test can include peripheral vision checks, eye pressure checks (the machine that blows in your eye) and a more extensive check of your actual vision.

Woody
    Free Member

Stumpyjon

This is where I have a problem with the test I’ve just had, which seemed to take just a few minutes. It included the pressure test, or at least a ‘new’ version of it she claimed but didn’t seem anything like as thorough as when I’ve been tested previously. My Wife went at the same time and came out with the same opinion!

I won’t be going back there as I don’t think the equipment and test was as good as it could, or should have been. It’s one of these situations, a bit like going to the dentist, where you have to go with your instincts and either trust the person or don’t !

bruneep

glasses for reading only are +2.25 I am mono (1) contact lens +2.00

Our occupational health numpty cant grasp the fact I can use 1 contact lens.

*Cover 1 eye and read this

all ok

*Cover other eye and read this

I cant read anything

*you need glasses for reading

I wear 1 lens for reading

* not possible

Is fitted by a professional, what are your qualifications for sight test

*Ermmm

had to get optician to write letter to them to explain. 🙄

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Glasses and contact lens prescription has always been the same. Can’t understand why it wouldn’t be?

marcus
    Free Member

I was advised that the prescription usually isn’t as you contact lenses sit closer to your eye (obviously) than your glasses.

rOcKeTdOg

My prescription (-1.75) is the same for specs & lenses. Lenses come in different sizes though but if you already know the dimensions you’re laughing. Opticians want £45 for 30 disposable lenses, I buy online exactly the same brand for £19 delivered

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Contact lenses – same prescription as specs?’ is closed to new replies.