Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Constructing a shed base – best method?
  • djflexure

I want to put up a fairly large shed: something like 12-16ft x 8-10ft.
    I have a flat patch of earth but need a base.
    Considered timber skids on gravel, paving slabs or poured concrete.
    Has anybody done this? What are your experiences?

jon1973
    Free Member

my shed was only 6′ x 8′, but I just put it on paving slabs. I dug down an inch or so and laid the slabs on sand to help level them.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

16x10ft shed on paving slabs here. Well compacted hardcore then weak sand cement dry mix on top, level it out then slabs on top of that, been down 12 years with no noticeable movement.

wingnuts

i always the hardest thing is to get the body to ballast ratio right. (oh thats patios isn’t it)

benji
    Free Member

What do you want to do in the shed? Anything heavy?

murf
    Free Member

I just put a concrete base down for mine. A bit ott at the moment but in years to come I’ll replace it with a blockwork garage.

djflexure

What do you want to do in the shed? Anything heavy?

Not especially. General garden storage, lawnmower etc. I’d like to set up the turbo too.

benji
    Free Member

Slabs or timber skids would suffice at that point, no real need for a solid base.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I built a wooden shutter, about 4 inches bigger than the shed, then filled it full of all the old slabs and rubble I had at the back of the garden, to about 4 inches from the shuttering edges, and an inch from the top, then poured concrete into it.

Saves buying millions of concrete, and gets rid of all your rubble and slabs. Strong enough for a shed too (mines is 12′ x 8′).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Constructing a shed base – best method?’ is closed to new replies.