Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Constitutional Crisis [Hypothetical]
  • Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

I’d like to see him marched off to the tower. A squad of the Queens guards, drag him out No10 and through the streets. No doubt to jeers and heckles from an outraged public.

And not just him, all those who happily attended knowing full well the legality at the time.

Premier Icon bigblackshed

I’d like to see him marched off to the tower. A squad of the Queens guards, drag him out No10 and through the streets. No doubt to jeers and heckles from an outraged public.

For full comedy effect shouldn’t he be paraded through the streets on the back of a cart whilst the great unwashed throw rotten vegetables at him?

Or full mediaeval and hang, draw, and quarter him? Then send his quarters to the four corners of the realm as a deterrent?*

* I jest. I don’t wish anything as barbaric as that.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Premier Icon kelvin

EDIT there was one good thing done under Tory rule – same sex marriages.

I’m glad you said “under Tory rule”… because it was MPs from other parties that made this happen. Yes a Tory PM was fully behind it, but his MPs voted pretty much 50:50 for:against. It only passed because MPs from other parties voted overwhelmingly in favour of it, and because the Conservatives were in a coalition.

Premier Icon paule
    Free Member

Given that, by any stretch of imagination, the queen doesn’t have that long left it’d be a hell of a way to bow out!

Premier Icon cookeaa

I think it’s worth noting the differences between a Constitutional monarchy, the “British aristocracy” and plain old free market loving, wealth whore Tories.

The Monarchy are little more than window dressing, they have property and wealth and theoretically can override or demand the resignation of a PM, but HRH knows better than to wade into that mess and potentially errode her own position.

The Aristocracy are sort of on the wain, their titles might buy them some influence but their money is old and so are their ideas, if the investment funds keep paying out they’ll not rock the boat. But it’s that last group the Reese-Moggs, Goves and Johnsons, their money isn’t quite as old, they didn’t inherit a title but they did rub shoulders with the other groups at school, and learned to navigate a network of chums, how to wield the kind of influence that most people will never have.

They have mates on boards and in the lord’s, and (as I’ve said before) I believe their original mission was to exploit Brexit to take power and then start nudging government spending and assets towards the grubby mitts of those captains of industry they met at Eton and Oxford.

Covid has frustrated that plan, but as ever where there’s human suffering, there’s a PPE contract to be awarded. A colleague pointed out that all the No10. Party leaks were annoying him because that story has overshadowed the recent “VIP lane” ruling this week, arguably the bigger scandal as it lays bare the true nature of the current government’s corruption. Is this whole party in the Garden “leak” yet another Dead cat? Does Boris even really care if he is ousted?

Neither story surprised me but I do wonder at what point the “red bricks” will figure it out, half the party faithful and lots of MPs are Grumbling and calling him a liability because they can see the damage it’s doing them politically but they are struggling to identify a credible successor too…

Those other two groups where wealth is concentrated clearly have an interest in the nation’s economic state, but tend to take a longer view, and haven’t really attempted to use their supposed power or influence in a long time. Boris’s conduct still had minimal impact on them really.

So unless a someone in the cabinet throws their hat in the ring, Boris can still ride it out for a few weeks longer at least.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.