Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Consternation in the leave camp
  • igm

Unable to decide which candidate to put forward to speak for them and in all probability become the next PM, the leave camp have decided to put it to a public vote.
    Unfortunately the public have misinterpreted the request to name the leave faction leader, and “Leavey McLeaveface” is the current leader.

No link for this, it may not be accurate.

mattyfez

What a kerfuffle.
    And how embarrassing for the country as a whole, we’ve torn apart our political parties and disrupted world finance due what can only be described as complete ineptitude.

I’m actually starting to enjoy this now

grahamt1980

I’m actually starting to enjoy this now

Me too, I have this wonderful feeling that politics has managed to engage a massive number of people, and also has turned a lot of the political establishment on its head

grantway
    Free Member

It’s only because of Cameron or no balls Cameron
    But yes I am actually liking politics again and laughing at those on here whom have no vision other than needing a guide dog.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Has anyone for a minute stopped to think “you know what we might leave and make a success of it” or is that too much ?

has turned a lot of the political establishment on its head

thats a win there

grahamt1980

It is possible yes, I do think the poor buggers that voted for it on immigration will continue to get screwed by the system though, so will have to find someone else to blame

oldnpastit

you know what we might leave and make a success of it

Where’s the plan for this? The Leave campaign haven’t got one. So this is nothing more than a wish.

aracer
    Free Member

Let’s try that one the other way round – have you (or others still keen on us Leaving) stopped for a minute to think that actually maybe it’s not such a great idea, what with all we were warned about which you didn’t believe actually happening?

dmorts

you know what we might leave and make a success of it

I think success will be based on a downward sliding scale. E.g. yes, we left the EU and only had 12 months of recession… and by left we mean we actually stayed in the single market….oh, and still pay money to the EU….and also have to accept the free movement of people…. and Boris is our PM…but yes it was a success.

That’s a bit fillipant of me really.. However I’m starting to worry that if this all goes ahead the net difference between having remained or left will be very small and in hindsight not worth it in the slightest

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

As much as I don’t like Cameron, he has played a proper trump card with bailing out before invoking thingybob 50. It’s going to be a proper poison chalice for whichever Brexiteer becomes leader. That’ll learn em.

mattyfez

I’m no fan of cameron, but I think quiting immediately, and passing the dubious decision of whether to rubber stamp the article 50 was a stroke of genius.

Cat out of bag, pigeons everywhere.

mattyfez

Whoa Jeff.. that was weird lol!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

@mattyfez, Are you drinking the same beer as me? uncanny timing

mickmcd
    Free Member

have you

No I didn’t vote we have done that one to death

Even if there isn’t a plan whats worst , defeatist attitude with the situation we are in or crack on.

Where’s the plan for this?

if you were in power would you have one or would you be running round pointing and blaming everyone else also. Seriously if you were PM and had this dropped in your lap what would you do.

dmorts

Even if there isn’t a plan whats worst , defeatist attitude with the situation we are in or crack on.

I have a plan to crack on, don’t base enormous and long lasting constitutional decisions solely on the result of a single 50/50 majority plebiscite referendum.

jambalaya
    Free Member

New Tory leader by Sep 2nd I believe, a month ahead of the Tory conference so comfortably ahead of schedule. No candidates have declared yet whether they be from the Leave, Leave ASAP or merely highly eueosceptic camp

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

CMD has indeed played a very difficult hand well over the past few days – how many of those around him (both sides) have come close to appearing statesman-like?

imnotverygood

It’s his own hand he is playing against tho’but

corroded
    Free Member

Has anyone for a minute stopped to think “you know what we might leave and make a success of it” or is that too much ?

My company is very vulnerable to consumer sentiment. If people don’t spend or travel, then we suffer. A lot. Plus, the cost of my raw materials is going up and my ability to sell my product in Europe is going down. So, from a purely personal perspective, Brexit is never going to work.

johndoh
    Free Member

As far as I can see, the only plan Big Boy ever had was rock the boat to get a chance at leadership, I don’t think he ever expected the nation to vote to exit, but now it has , he doesn’t know what TF to do.

An arse of a mess.

igm

teamhurtmore – Member
    CMD has indeed played a very difficult hand well over the past few days – how many of those around him (both sides) have come close to appearing statesman-like?

Sturgeon, Khan, Merkel is the serious answer.

But I had intended this as a lighthearted joke thread. Seems people though I was serious.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

You missed David Dimbleby BTW

corroded
    Free Member

To be serious, Boris is finished. The Tories need a new Eurosceptic leader; the Labour Party needs a new anti-Eurosceptic leader. You couldn’t make it up.

mattyfez

The whole thing is crazy, Labour are ruined, the tories are not far behind, the only party that has a policy and leader currently is the lib dems

oldnpastit

the only party that has a policy and leader currently is the lib dems

If anyone can remember his or her name they are doing well.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Farron’s big chance – a GE manifesto based on EU membership. No baggage (tuition fees apart) – will he seize the opportunity!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

But Cameron’s most impressive stunt was deciding that a referendum should be held on EU membership.

A stroke of genius by a true statesman. I can’t imagine many (on both sides) coming up with a master stroke like that.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think anybody’s arguing against that ernie – or has forgotten it. He did at least do a good job of avoiding treading in his shit sandwich he just dropped though.

jam-bo

if corbyn refuses to leave will there be a mass defection…

dmorts

It’s going to be a proper poison chalice for whichever Brexiteer becomes leader. That’ll learn em.

Enter stage left: Jeremy Hunt

Win win* in my eyes

*That’s banking a failure to Brexit and the incumbent Tory leader’s political career being destroyed

fasthaggis

They should get him to do Question Time on Thursday night,could you imagine? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

how many of those around him (both sides) have come close to appearing statesman-like?

He resigned and then did nothing- nice joke to the new labour MP aside.

If that is statesmanlike it highlights our dearth

that said even lefty mates were saying when we feel sorry for dave and will miss him it shows how truly **** we are.

Edukator
    Free Member

You’re never happy, Ernie. Cameron gave you the choice, you voted out and now you’re criticising him for giving you the chance to vote for and get what you wanted.

I thought you’d be celebrating both the out win and Cameron’s departure but your contribution shows the thread title to be justified.

rkk01
    Free Member

Looks like the wheels are coming off the Big Red Bus

Wanted – driver, bus and new paint job

Immigration
    The campaign claim:
    Immigration levels could be controlled if the UK left the EU. This would relieve pressure on public services.

The current claim: Immigration levels can’t be radically reduced by leaving the EU. Fears about immigration did not influence the way people voted.

Contributions to the EU budget
    The campaign claim:
    We send £350m a week to Brussels, which could be spent on the NHS instead.

The current claim: The claim was a mistake, and we will not be able to spend that much extra on the NHS.

The single market
    The campaign claim:
    The UK does not need preferential access to the single market.

The current claim: The UK should get preferential access to the single market but will not have to accept freedom of movement to get it.

brassneck

Why does anyone think CMD should come up with a plan, havcing staked his future on remaining? I’m no fan, but he would have zero authority in any discussions here or with the EU. I don’t think professionalism can work in the same way in politics.

tomhoward

Enter stage left: Jeremy Hunt

Just seen this. If there’s anyone whose self interest and thirst for power comes before any good for those he represents. It’s him. How pro Jr. Docs were the Tory party? This is a worry.

Brexit were banging a drum about elected officials weren’t they? What was the message again? I forget…

aracer
    Free Member

More lefty than you? 😯 I’m guessing they’ve looked at the alternatives and CMD appears to be a wishy washy liberal in comparison.

Point of order: no he didn’t

rkk01
    Free Member

philxx1975 » Has anyone for a minute stopped to think “you know what we might leave and make a success of it” or is that too much ?

That could happen, but my work with different business sectors makes me believe that it is very, very unlikely 😳

The key question everyone should ask themselves is:

“How does the UK make Money”, i.e. how is our National Wealth generated?

here are a few clues…

– Not by selling coffee in US chain cafes
    – Not by putting on a uniform and serving your Country
    – Not by treating ill people in hospital
    – Not by being a successful small business building stuff / selling stuff to UK residents

All of the above just spread the money around society – and serve a good purpose for everyone’s benefit.

Wealth is GENERATED by
    1. Digging stuff out of the ground and selling it abroad (oil, gas etc)
    2. Farming and fishing and selling it abroad – both small sectors and struggling anyway
    3. Making stuff and selling it abroad
    4. Providing a service and selling it abroad (including financial services, consultancy, engineering)
    5. Inventing stuff and selling the idea / “making stuff” (see above)

Out of those sectors above – oil, manufacturing and services are our way to “trade” ourselves to a stronger future. Mining / oil and gas have been small / shrinking in the UK as reserves have been depleted by 200 years of industrial activity.

Manufacturing has been under pressure all my lifetime, with no Govt Industrial Strategy. leaving the EU does nothing to strengthen manufacturing. A large number of manufacturing Companies have stated that they would prefer to be in EU.

Additionally, to lose / weaken financial services would have a huge negative impact on the overall economy.

So just saying “leave and make a success of it” kind of ignores how the global economy works…

igm

J Hunt was saying the British people are sovereign on R4 this morning.

You’d think after all his time in government he’d know that was technically incorrect.

The queen in parliament as I recall, which effectively means the House of Commons.

Time for MPs to grow a pair.

phiiiiil

sovereign

If one more person says that bloody word again in a way that reeks of “yes, ruination for all, fine, but SOVEREIGNTY! I WIN THE ARGUMENT!” I am going to go mad.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Consternation in the leave camp’ is closed to new replies.