Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • Considering our first ever new car
  • The ‘a car is a tool’ bores on this thread are almost as tedious as the ‘I don’t own a TV’ protagonists. Or are they the same person? 😂

Premier Icon Kryton57

CountZero not withstanding we all have our own opinions, likes and dislikes I’m bemused how you’d turn down a german car over possible one of the worst Fords (maybe) on the current Ford retail list.

German or not, I think you can get a far better car than and EcoSport For that money and I would be putting my money into something that’ll depreciate so fast.   I think your opinion albeit based on a lot of experience is a little outside the mainstream sometimes.  It’s your choice though, I drive what a lot of people would describe as a dull German box and love it #shrug#.

Loving the Fiesta pics, I hope Sharky you enjoy it for a few years at least.  It’s quite satisfying to sit in a car and for a few seconds before turning the key, have a little wry smile to yourself based on the enjoyment of what you have.

I drive what a lot of people would describe as a dull German box and love it

I was told on here that my 450bhp V8 Germanic car was dull, so I wouldn’t bother what others think if I were you

The little orange Festa looks good fun Sharky – enjoy

Premier Icon plyphon
    Free Member

I recently bought a pre-reg 5 month old S3 a few months ago and I absolutely love it. I did some work and got a ‘good’ deal compared to other PCP deals out there (12% APR on some quotes!!) and the thing makes me grin from ear to ear every time I get in it.

Life is too short for things that don’t make you smile. Enjoy!

Premier Icon cokie
    Free Member

That looks awesome, Sharkattack!
    That colour in this weather is perfect.
    Have you had a chance to go for another drive since?

I’ve been on Autotrader having a look. I can’t decide between a ST-3 with performance pack and 5 doors for less money, or one of these with 3 doors but more toys for more money.. Like for like seems to be a £5k difference. I know that the Performance Edition is just much more special..

I know alternatives have been discussed, so not detracting from Sharky’s car – however, if I wanted a hot hatch at the moment, I’d be seriously considering a Megane RS 300 Trophy

Megane

Premier Icon tonyg2003

Down at Brands Hatch yesterday and there were a few of these new Fiesta’s in track and the drivers looked to be having a good time. Very capable little cars!

Premier Icon plyphon
    Free Member

0 – 60 in 5.7 seems pretty slow for a 300bhp engine. Is it front wheel only? That would explain that.

0 – 60 in 5.7 seems pretty slow for a 300bhp engine. Is it front wheel only? That would explain that.

FWD 4 wheel steering – it’s only a 1.8 turbo as well, so probably not as many torques as a Golf R say

Premier Icon kitchener
    Free Member

Some good advice on here.

Just got a deal after ignoring the ‘brand new’ cars and getting a PCP on one from last year. Turns out there were loads of buybacks and lease returns sitting in compounds around the country.

These are either under a ‘nearly new’ category (usually <1000 miles) or just under the ‘used’ section where they get missed by folks looking for brand new gear.

Premier Icon afrothunder88
    Free Member

Where does one look for PCP on nearly new/buy backs?

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

i like it STR but too many doors.

If i want a hot hatch i want bat shit unsuitable .

Renault always seem to ruin their hot hatches with extra doors …. even on their caged models 😀

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

My boss keeps one of these in the store at our office…..

It’s apparently quite nippy.

Premier Icon Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Where does one look for PCP on nearly new/buy backs?

Plenty of finance companies will do PCP on any type of car PCP is not exclusive to new only.

I got my 3 year old beemer on PCP via BMW finance (through a broker).

Do not go for dealers PCP on pre registered cars etc, as called out above the APR is friggin ridiculous that it makes a new car look affordable from a monthly repayment perspective despite the pre reg/management cars being cheaper.

Premier Icon CountZero

CountZero not withstanding we all have our own opinions, likes and dislikes I’m bemused how you’d turn down a german car over possible one of the worst Fords (maybe) on the current Ford retail list.

German or not, I think you can get a far better car than and EcoSport For that money and I would be putting my money into something that’ll depreciate so fast. I think your opinion albeit based on a lot of experience is a little outside the mainstream sometimes. It’s your choice though, I drive what a lot of people would describe as a dull German box and love it #shrug#.

Show me any German car that fulfills all of my requirements, which the EcoSport does exactly. Because there isn’t one that I’ve driven that does. Neither BMW or Mercedes make a car of that size, I really dislike BMWs, apart from one of their SUV’s which would cost at least half as much again to buy, Merc A-Class are mostly Renault underneath, and the fact that I’ve seen four variations of the A-Series die due to a flat battery, and been taken away on a trailer because they couldn’t be started by any of our tech staff, means I wouldn’t touch one with a barge-pole! Plus again, they’re bigger than I need.
    And you don’t get a heated screen with either of those makes.
    I couldn’t give a **** about depreciation, the car isn’t new, it’s a bit less than a year old, and I plan on keeping it as long as I’ve had my Skoda, about fifteen years, by which time I’ll be 81!
    My opinion is based entirely on having driven hundreds of different cars over the last five years, many for significant distances, so I think even you might agree that gives me some insight into what car suits my exact requirements, which are a car that’s fairly compact, has a higher seating position, has a heated screen, reversing camera, CarPlay, a large infotainment screen, semi-auto ‘box with manual paddle shift. It’s also based on the Fiesta platform, which gives it better handling characteristics than many other crossovers. Not that I’m a bloody Surfmatt, I’m a competent driver, a necessity in my job, the last thing I need is a bloody BMW, or other performance oriented car.

Premier Icon endoverend

I’d have one of these: Mini GP2

Like the Fiesta, with around 220BHp and a light kerb weight. Just right for UK roads and will surprise many modern super hatches with 350bhp+ around a track too, in fact you’d need a very long straight to overcome the 1500-1600kg kerb weight of those bigger 4wd hatches.

That Megane speaks to me…but I’m not sure it’s as good as the older ones.

GP2

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

My neighbour has a BMW 530d with the straight 6, I have a Passat TDI. They are the same age and we both paid the same. Only difference is his was 5 years old when he bought it and mine 3. 7 years later I still have a boring car and he still has a really nice one. For the same money.

Premier Icon CountZero

I’m bemused how you’d turn down a german car over possible one of the worst Fords (maybe) on the current Ford retail list.

This bit has had me pondering somewhat; seeing as how the EcoSport is based entirely on the Fiesta platform, and uses all of the main parts of the Fiesta, and many of the Focus as well, like the entire drivetrain, suspension, interior, etc, the only significant difference being the body shape and dimensions, are you actually saying that those cars are the worst in the Ford range? Mechanically, there’s no difference at all, same engine, the British-designed 1.0 three-cylinder Ecoboost, which I’ve read is an exceptional engine, same gearbox, etc.
    Just because you seem to be obsessed with German cars, I’m not, but neither am I dismissing them, they just don’t fulfill my requirements as a replacement for my twenty year old Skoda. I have driven pretty much every model of VW, Audi, Mercedes and most BMW’s: have you?
    My new car has heated screen, satnav, reversing camera, Apple CarPlay, it’s seating position suits me perfectly, it’s exactly the right size for my needs, and it’s styling, I think, is nicer than any current German car.
    And it’s fun to drive, remapping it will bring it up to about 150hp, with a lot mor. torque.
    It’s currently at the dealers, having its first service and a paint protection system applied, hopefully I’ll be picking it up on Saturday morning.

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

are you actually saying that those cars are the worst in the Ford range?

I’ve not driven one but every single review is pretty damning. They were designed and built for emerging markets, so lots of things are built as cheaply as possible, then sold here with a couple of toys at an over-inflated price. They sell for £8k in india (new) vs £18k here. Owners here seem to like them, maybe they just didn’t drive the competition?

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve not driven one but every single review is pretty damning.

That’s not true – the review I just read said the original was a pile of poo, but they then swapped everything out for the European market making it even more of a Frankenstein car. Now it’s been replaced by a brand new car anyhow.

Anyhow as long as the person is happy with the car they drive does it matter? Wouldn’t be my choice, I drove nothing but Fords for years as they make good cars, but I now can afford to drive a more premium brand. The difference are probably more subtle than 25yrs ago, but they are still better

Premier Icon Kryton57

Anyhow as long as the person is happy with the car they drive does it matter?

This, no need to be as tetchy as to write 2 rants.  My comments where based on the original Ecosport review which compared to my 3 series I’m sure most people and certainly the motoring press will agree the 3 is a better car in general. But, no I can’t tell you what’s best for you and I’m sure your new Ecosport is very nice.

I’ve also driven – and own a Kuga – many Fords some of them excellent cars but none have been to the standard of the two BM’s I’ve owned.  Still pondering on the Kuga replacement, recently had a look over a CX5, but can’t see past and XC40 Recharge currently, especially with the 2021 base specs all included leather and pretty much every safety feature you can think of.  We need to drive it though.

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

but can’t see past and XC40 Recharge

my folks bought one of those this week. Its lovely, but priced very strongly, and they’ll end up paying the additional ‘posh car tax’ for the next few years as a result.

Premier Icon petergriffin23
    Free Member

New to this site, and randomly clicked on this thread, ended up reading the lot (I’m still furloughed) and rarely have I felt so invested in one man’s quest to buy a new car. Saw the first post and though christ this is long, who the hell’s gonna read all that… here I am 142 posts later! Congrats on the car Sharky! Also congrats in general, sounds like you’ve got quite a story!
    I’m in a similar(ish) boat car wise, however I’m on the other end of the spectrum and thinking of selling my current car that I had pretty much from new and buying a ‘modern classic’ such as: https://www.carsite.co.uk/used-car/bmw/3-series/mtz_38438_56471196
    Am I crazy?
    Also I just want to echo the sentiment made before me that the ‘cars are just to get you from a to b’ tribe are a gang of dougs who probably eat steamed veg and don’t season their meat, because food is just fuel afterall.

Premier Icon richmtb

Am I crazy?

The E30 3 Series is probably the prettiest and good examples are starting to appreciate.

That one also has a 6 cylinder engine, but auto and convertible wouldn’t be my first choice.

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

A modern classic is good, but i can’t think of anything that bmw can do that a 996 pork wouldn’t do much more effectively.

Free Member

Yeah I just love the look of the old BMWs, never been a Porsche fan!

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

That colour in this weather is perfect.
    Have you had a chance to go for another drive since?

We’ve been for a few slow loops around the Peak. Still under 300 miles on the clock because I’m back at work and the mrs is on school holidays. We’re driving up to visit family tomorrow in Zoocastle so I might take it down some old familiar roads over the weekend.

It makes a cool noise. It’s not obnoxiously loud but having 3 cylinders gives it a kind of warbly, put-put sound. It sounds very Subaru but thankfully without the thirst.

Most importantly, she loves it. She’ll be driving to and from a primary school 5 days a week so as much as I wanted a Focus RS or an Elise or a JDM STi, that was never going to work.

Saw the first post and though christ this is long, who the hell’s gonna read all that… here I am 142 posts later! Congrats on the car Sharky! Also congrats in general, sounds like you’ve got quite a story!

Thanks for reading. I didn’t mean for it to be such a soap opera I just wanted advice from people who buy new cars and are familiar with PCP because all I get from my family is doom and gloom!

You are absolutely not mad for wanting an E30. They are really good fun. They’re not really investments any more, they’ve already been invested in. Prices are sky high and owners know it. Fortunately, I passed my test when they were worthless so while I never owned one I did know plenty of people who did and spent lots of time going backwards around wet roundabouts.

We used to have the free run of an entire, gated industrial estate in the northeast (after hours) back when we all had RWD Volvos, BMW’s, MX5’s and stuff. Wild nights, but that’s another story.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

As I have finally completed the paperwork, I thought I’d add my new car to the list (delivered in September).

All the whistles and bells and a very stealthy 0-60 of just 6.5 seconds.

Free Member

I did know plenty of people who did and spent lots of time going backwards around wet roundabouts.

😂

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

Hang about, you can buy a fiesta that costs 26k?? I know the st is meant to be a great little car but that is an insane amount of money for a small Ford.

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

I’ve already said this but no one has paid 26k for one. Especially not in the first week that the dealerships went back to work and were falling over themselves to sell PCP.

Premier Icon FB-ATB

insane amount of money for a small Ford.

Have you seen the prices of the bikes that have been reviewed recently?

The ONS has the average UK salary at £36k, on minimum wage annual earnings would be c£18k. In 1960 when he was 17, my Dad bought a brand new 105E Anglia that cost over £600 and his annual wage was just over £500. Not much has changed.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Have you seen the prices of the bikes that have been reviewed recently?

Very good point – over £10k for a Specialized S-Works full-suss. Now THAT is crazy.

Premier Icon cokie
    Free Member

Another 2 weeks on.. how are you finding it?

I’m still toying with the idea of getting one, but with the recession and COVID aftermarth still coming into full effect, I’m tempted to wait and see what happens to values.

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

Still loving it to be honest. I’m still comparing it to a 10 year old Panda so it feels amazing. Stuff normal people take for granted like not having to shout at each other on the motorway and being able to listen to music and actually hear it.

If you want one, just go and check one out. It’s not like there’s anything else in this segment that’s better than it. I’ve heard they’re stopping production until next year so not sure how many will be around in the near future.

I still haven’t really thrashed it. I’ve never driven a FWD car with an LSD before and it’s quite addictive to see how tight a line you can hold on a tight corner. Feeding the throttle way past the point where the inside wheel would usually light up and feeling it pulling the nose in tighter and tighter. It’s magic.

I’ve also briefly driven it in torrential rain on some familiar roads up north and unlocked the lift-off oversteer function. I did it a few times just to get the feel for how much grip the tyres have obviously, for safety reasons.

If you enjoy driving and using the pedals to make a car shuffle about then it’s brilliant. I’ll have to do a track day or two. Although it’s not monstrously fast it’s still too much to fully unleash it on the road. I want to completely abuse it on some twisty corners and I don’t really have the appetite for doing it out in the wild.

I think a trip to Cadwell Park is on the cards.

Premier Icon CountZero

We’ve got a couple of Focus ST’s at work at the moment, one black, one the same vivid orange as the OP’s, and I really do like the orange, however, that one is a diesel, and for some reason that just doesn’t seem quite right. There are plenty of rapid oil-burners, like the Skoda VRS models, the Golf GTD, etc, but, I just can’t help thinking a Focus or Fiesta ST should be petrol!
    Sadly, I only get to drive them short distances, so no opportunity to really play with them, but the same’s true of the Golf R’s and the Tesla’s, the Porsche Macan and the Merc GLC45 AMG we have on site. ☹️

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

know the st is meant to be a great little car but that is an insane amount of money for a small Ford.

Seems like a less insane notion than an old Porsche tbh.

Could be worse – could have been a faux SUV.

Premier Icon toby1

Stuff normal people take for granted like not having to shout at each other on the motorway and being able to listen to music and actually hear it

Moving from my old Civic EP3 to a modern(63 plate) Golf this difference was massive, so much quieter at motorway speeds. Having bluetooth and DAB built in as well has been great.

Premier Icon uwe-r
    Free Member

Seems like a less insane notion than an old Porsche tbh.

Could be worse – could have been a faux SUV.

True but there is so much in between. If you want performance here is a 2018 BMW M2. Its done 7k miles. That is 2x the car of the fiesta.

https://www.carsite.co.uk/used-car/bmw/m2/mtz_87181_57450773

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

but like the Porsche – when that starts to become fun on the public highway – its A. License losing B. dangerous for other road users and C. Feels like your in a fast sofa isolated from the outside world rather than a go kart fun car which it seems like the OP wants.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.