Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Considering Canyon Nerve AL+ 8.0 or alternative
  • Monster101

Just got my insurance claim and have around £2,200 to spend to replace my Lapierre Zesty 514. I dont have the cash to go any higher.

Thinking of the above either in Stealth Black or White and Orange.

Any drawbacks or other alternatives that I should consider?

Opinions appreciated.

Alan

dantsw13

What did you like most and least about the zesty? Where do you ride?

nealy
    Free Member

If you’re thinking of direct from Germany how about a Radon Slide 150 9.0. Fox CTD Adjust both ends, X0/X9 drivetrain and Formula T1 brakes (i.e.not frickin Avids). It’s stated as 1/2 kg lighter too

http://www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/Slide-150-9-0_id_22299_.htm

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1867/a78661/slide-150-9-0.html

Monster101

7stanes, natural stuff xc and a bit more knarly! Liked the weight of the zesty and power blasting through descents. Didn’t like sometimes a bit wondering on steep ascents.

Radon looks a little untested and colours are eye watering. Probably prefer more known brand! Any other ideas?

Innes
    Free Member

I have just got a Nerve AL+ 7.0. It climbs really well, and I really like it.

Monster101

What size did you go for, I’m 5,9 and 30inch inside leg, their website is pointing to a small. I’ve always had mediums, including my 2011 zesty 514, worried about sizing? Did you go for black or white?

Innes
    Free Member

I am about that height, inside leg 32″. I bought a Medium as recommended by Canyon. It is a good fit.

One thing I noticed was that I wouldn’t be able to put the seat post that much further down and still get full travel on the reverb. It is fine for me, there is still space, but if you are 2″ shorter in the leg, maybe that is why they are going with the Small frame.

Innes
    Free Member

I went for the Black with Blue and white detail. The colour may be different for the 8.0.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Monster – I’ve got an XC version and at 1/2″ taller with the same leg. I’d bet you £1 you’d want a medium. And I’d echo Innes point on reverbs. My 125mm JUST fits for my normal pedalling height: the seat (#/EDIT:) tube (/)seem looooooong. If you’re considering one I’d wait til you have if before ordering a reverb.

Other stuff:

– when I got mine last year they were pretty rare but I was lucky enough to borrow one off someone on here I’d never met(cheers Stanfree!). But now there are lots and lots of them around me. Where are you based?

-Canyon are an online business model – and this pisses some folks off. Expect that if there is an issue/ failure : it will all be done by email and hopefully resolved in your favour. But it can be quicker or slower than an lbs purchase in case of problem. Components are covered / fixed by UK suppliers. In the rare (*afaik) case of frame problems it has to be shipped back to Germany.

-Lasly their “UK phone centre” thing is just bobbins. No one ever answers. Although last week I got an email about my complaint on this to say they have employed someone extra (I’d guess that brings the UK staff up to 1 tbh).

Overall – I’d say it’s probably a bargain, especially if you’re able to handle small fixes yourself. If you want babysitting with questions and issues then maybe look more locally. HTH.

Bullet

Ghost on sale at CRC – I have one and it’s ace!

mrelectric

Many good things to about Canyon.
    I was between S & M on the web guide for my Nerve AM HS in 2011. Went for S which is light & manoeuvrable (within rider’s v. limited skills)…not looked back on the product.

Do search the forum for other posts on Canyon; good product & value and sometimes for support. Probably much the same balance as as others but with online pricing; just wld want you to be informed before you consent…….

batfink
    Free Member

My mate bought the lowest spec 150mm Nerve a couple of years ago…. bloody brilliant, rides really well (that is the limit of my powers to describe it’s performance!) and a great spec for the price, BUT:

Didn’t seem to be fantastically put together – I think the guys at the factory didn’t “build” the bike as-such, but rather just assembled the parts. Does that make sense? It was only noticeable as I bought the equivalent Rose at the same time, and the differences were obvious.

Still, if you are a fettler (like me), that’s no problem. If I was buying my bike again, I’d get the Canyon.

b45her
    Free Member

with regards to the above post, every new bike should be checked over thoroughly before you ride it regardless of where its from.
    i read a post somewhere where a guy was slating canyon because a shock bolt fell out a few months after he had the bike, do these muppets have any idea of maintenance?

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Got a nerve am 7 2012, put on carbon bars, shorter stem, dropper post and love it! About to put on a 1.5 degree angleset, so may love it more soon! Goes up and down briliiantly, with nice comfy back end for my 40y old back end

euans2
    Free Member

I bought my Nerve AM at the start of last year, when it arrived it was very well put together, only issue I had was the mech hanger got bent in transit, Canyon replaced it within 24 hours

As for the UK customer support, I just received the following email from Canyon.

The year has just started and 2013 promises to bring many positive changes for Canyon in the UK. Our customer base in the UK is expanding at a rapid pace and as a result we have decided to increase the size of our UK team. This will enable us to provide you with an even better level of service. As we speak we are moving to a bigger office in the London area where we can house our UK customer team, which will be on hand to answer all your questions and resolve any problems you may have.

mrelectric

Yes batfink has got it.
    Check build pivots & lube, torque etc. I swapped for shorter stem. Good bikes at v good price.

Mech hanger is brittle diecast so look at BETD for CNC stock.

batfink
    Free Member

with regards to the above post, every new bike should be checked over thoroughly before you ride it regardless of where its from.
    i read a post somewhere where a guy was slating canyon because a shock bolt fell out a few months after he had the bike, do these muppets have any idea of maintenance?

Thanks for that. We (who I think you are calling muppets) do understand the importance of maintenance, my post was just a comment on the observed build quality.

sherry
    Free Member

I always check my bikes when got home from the shop. I set my own bikes up better, just because spend more time them. So not being put together really isn’t an issue. Canyon bikes look really good, quality frames with good components at very good prices. Not heard anyone say a bad comment on how they ride. Every bike will component issues of some varying degree.

mrelectric

Straightliner

Canyon are just opening up a UK office in the Teddington/Kingston area. Office is empty currently, but there will be more local support coming very soon.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Considering Canyon Nerve AL+ 8.0 or alternative’ is closed to new replies.