• This topic has 67 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by mashr.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Consider Phlebas TV series isn’t happening…
  • Premier Icon ajantom

Feersum Endjinn

Shudder…. I think it’s the only book I’ve started to read but then bailed on as it was just hard work.

Funny, but I never found this, reading it phonetically I found quite easy.

Definitely worth trying again, as the world/society building he does in it is great.

Love the sloths 😎

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis

Which is the book with the “fake hell”? That would make a great film if anyone had the guts to properly go for it. However I think his books say a bit too much about popular society to be made into block buster movies.

Premier Icon Greybeard

Which is the book with the “fake hell”?

Surface Detail

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Jeezo that one is dark. Good though.

Premier Icon HarryTuttle

Feersum Endjinn was a funny one, I read this on a long haul flight and got off the plane tired following a phonetic section. I then struggled to read the signs in the terminal. Really weird feeling like having your brain rewired. I must dig out my copy and read it again.

Premier Icon jd13m

this is an interesting read – A FEW NOTES ON THE CULTURE by Iain M Banks

Premier Icon CountZero

the last Pratchett novel.

A Hat Full Of Sky? I have a special edition of that book, hardcover in a board slipcase with a silver fleck in the board covers. I’ve never read it, couldn’t bring myself to at the time, and as time goes on, I think I’ll leave it unread. I do have an ebook copy to read anyway.
    Similar case with Good Omens, my copy is signed by both authors, I think I read it once.
    Sadly, I’ll never have the pleasure of meeting the author of the Culture books, who’s brought me an enormous amount of pleasure over the years. 🙁

Premier Icon onehundredthidiot
    Free Member

I like, for obvious reasons, the discussion of gsv names.
    Started with phlebas.

Premier Icon kimbers

Every time I’m in a book shop I check out B in the sci-fi section and get a but sad

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

A Hat Full Of Sky?

Only several years out, The Shepherds Crown.

Premier Icon YoKaiser

I think I’ll try Consider Phelbas, some folks saying start there and I do prefer reading everything in order even if it’s not necessary.

Also finished Crow Road, as enjoyable as it always was. I’ve been rereading a lot recently and some books haven’t aged well, this is still fantastic. Only now as well as relating to Prentice I can relate to Kenneth too. Some social commentary that is still quite relevant today.

Premier Icon kcal

I like Feersum Enjinn. I think there’s something similar to the planetary object in the Edinburgh Observatory (most likely). It was Song of Stone that I found really hard work, and sat on shelf for 18 months. Would not go back to it. Others had their moments of redemption – not that one..

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

It was Song of Stone that I found really hard work, and sat on shelf for 18 months. Would not go back to it.

Urgh, you and me both. The world it’s set in is interesting enough but the protagonist and the style of writing are both hard work. I really need to work up to Inversions again, it’s been a long time and feel it deserves a second run.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Loved Phlebas, Player of Games and Use of Weapons. Then started on Surface Detail and hit the buffers.

Premier Icon BigJohn

I’m quite glad I read this thread a couple of weeks ago. I’ve got a bunch of these that I haven’t read in about 25 years. I was out of the blue called into hospital this afternoon and grabbed Consider Phlebas. I think I’ll have a bit of time to go through a few of these as they’re taking me down to chisel some holes in my L5 vertebra tomorrow morning.

Premier Icon CountZero

Only several years out, The Shepherds Crown.

That’s it, like I said, I managed to get hold of the special edition hard cover, put it away and just couldn’t bring myself to read it, I think I’d find it too sad knowing there will never be any more books like the three Tiffany Aching ones, and I’d forgotten the title.
    Regarding the Culture books, I’m some way through Matter at the moment, and enjoying that one again, I particularly like how Choubris Holse develops as a character in his own right.

Premier Icon igm

Raw Spirit would make a decent TV adaptation though.

I suspect McGregor and Boorman on bikes wandering round distilleries might work.

Premier Icon igm

Someone will be along in a minute to tell me it’s been done.

Premier Icon dougiedogg
    Free Member

Odd attachment is great, especially when you find out what it is 😀

Premier Icon IdleJon

I’ve reread every IMB book over lockdown. Depresses me that I’ll never read another new book by him

Absolutely this. 🙁

And another +1. My wife couldn’t work out why I was so upset at his death.

Premier Icon misteralz
    Free Member

Mine could, even though she couldn’t get on with the books.
    Complicity was the first ‘modern’ adult book I read, at about 11 or 12 years old. The Crow Road I’ve read at least twenty times in the last twenty five years, and it felt like my life mirrored that of Prentice’s for a lot of my first twenty years on this planet. Transition I read from cover to cover while my wife was in protracted labour with our first, and Raw Spirit was what got me in to whisky. I miss Iain Banks.

Premier Icon barney

Am I the only person who thinks that Life On Mars (the TV show) owes a HUGE amount to The Bridge?

Sad about the Culture TV show, but as others have said, at least they can’t cock it up if it’s not happening.

Premier Icon IdleJon

Just to resurrect this thread..

I’ve just finished Use of Weapons – I haven’t read it since sometime in the 90s so couldn’t remember much of it..

Wow!

I must admit getting to about 50 pages from the end and wondering why Zakalwe was allergic to chairs just because his sister had sex on one, then got to the end – double-wow!! There aren’t many books I’d re-read immediately but I’d be happy to do it with this, and I know that the later Culture books just keep getting better.

Premier Icon eddiebaby

OK. After reading all the love on here I’m going to try some Culture.
    Nearly 60 years a scifi fan and never even tried any.
    Wish me luck as I head off to Kindle.

Premier Icon molgrips

I personally didn’t get on with Use of Weapons that much.

The thing is though (and as said above) the Culture is far bigger than the individual books. I read a few, thinking ‘yeah these are good’ and then around book four or five I suddenly realised what they were all about and I was properly blown away. In a way that feels like it ruins everyone else’s efforts at literature.

Premier Icon Northwind

weird thing is, nobody ever seems to want to make Espedair Street. There was a sort of radio adaptation but it’d make great TV.

YoKaiser

Also finished Crow Road, as enjoyable as it always was. I’ve been rereading a lot recently and some books haven’t aged well, this is still fantastic. Only now as well as relating to Prentice I can relate to Kenneth too. Some social commentary that is still quite relevant today.

Haven’t read it for a while but just rewatched the TV series, man it is good.

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I just finished Use of Weapons today too – really enjoyed it

Premier Icon mashr

Nearing the end of Matter – really enjoying it. Does a really good job of making the Oct deeply irritating!

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.