• This topic has 159 replies, 72 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • Conservative Government, 2019 to 29(ish). Predictions?
  • Poopscoop

Short Term.

No achievable trade deal with EU, crash out with no deal.

A concerted push for Indy ref 2 from the SNP.

Short term money pumped into NHS to fatten it up for dissection.

Long Term.

Far stronger ties with the US and the EU getting treated as a competitor far more than a friendly trading bloc.

Huge rise in homelessness.

Ditto in work poverty.

NHS,around in name only.

Break up of the Union, Scotland go first then NI.

Riots. Lots. Quelled by a larger police force.

Thoughts?

somafunk

tjagain

An End to the UK. United ireland and independent scotland now look highly likey

Poopscoop

A united Ireland is possibly one of the small silver Linings to this **** storm.

molgrips
    Free Member

Economic depression within 2 years.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Death Penalty

oh and

#freebinners

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder what’ll happen to Wales when Ireland gets unified and Scotland becomes independent. I think people here have in the past looked to Scotland and NI as equal constituents of the UK but it’s going to feel pretty shite if we’re the only ones left stuck with England.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Fox hunting replaced by ne-er-do-well hunting.

2021 Ne-er-do-well Hunting biopic starring Matt Damon as BJ sweeps the boards at the Oscars.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m English and fed up of it at the moment, don’t tar us all with the same brush please
    I have a horrible feeling there’ll be five more years of austerity, even wider inequalities and even more post-truth bulls###
    I work in the public sector and find it staggering that half my office voted conservative today when they’re worse off from the last nine years

nick1962
    Free Member

Economic boom anyone?

Poopscoop

^^
    Short term, yes, possibly. Mainly as it’s been in stasis for so long. Medium term onwards it gets (sadly) interesting.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I suspect that I will be hunted down by Tory secret police because I didn’t vote for them. I’ll then live out my days in an internment camp which will pretty much just be the north of England.

funkmasterp

hopefully something like this

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Johnson sells everything possible.
    Johnson goes orange.
    Johnson rebuilds hadrians wall.

nickc

No achievable trade deal with EU, crash out with no deal

Like single mums and the DUP, I think the ERG are going to be the next group of folk that are going to find out, you really really can’t trust Johnson. There’s no reason for Johnson to listen to them at all. I don’t think our Brexit is going to be anything like as hard as has been previously threatened.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Like single mums and the DUP, I think the ERG are going to be the next group of folk that are going to find out, you really really can’t trust Johnson. There’s no reason for Johnson to listen to them at all. I don’t think our Brexit is going to be anything like as hard as has been previously threatened.

Depressingly, this is about the most optimistic thing out there at the moment.

ferrals
    Free Member

Agree with nickc- Michael Heseltine was saying as much on the radio the other day. In some ways a Tory landslide is better than a slim majority as he doesn’t need the hard liners…. that’s assuming the moderate tories are still moderate.

We’re still by and large **** though

MSP

Johnson will be gone soon, he will be replaced by a much more compliant operator to actually push through the changes. His job was merely to win the election, although I doubt he knows, the financiers don’t want an incompetent buffoon around for too long, that would cause a backlash. They will leverage his per-election baggage, the Russian interference report and his fraudulent financing of his pole technology expert to move him on quickly.

HansRey

I imagine a few autobiographies written by leading politicians attempting to cash in.

swavis

I predict they’ll be sitting around a table discussing what to do about the troublesome Scots

squirrelking
    Free Member

@somafunk thankfully I have a stash of bottle caps for such an eventually. Anyone know the chemical composition of Jet?

DrJ

I work in the public sector and find it staggering that half my office voted conservative today when they’re worse off from the last nine years

Maybe. but you have to respect the will of the majority – to be poorer, eat crap food, and step over homeless people on the way to their zero-hours job.

slackboy

I don’t think our Brexit is going to be anything like as hard as has been previously threatened

I can see the headline:

Johnson goes flaccid after election high.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You don’t have to predict anything. It’s in the manifesto.

null

torsoinalake
    Free Member

kcr
    Free Member

I don’t think our Brexit is going to be anything like as hard as has been previously threatened.

The ultimate irony. The only way to do Johnson’s mythical quick deal is to stay aligned with the EU, so what exactly was the point of the whole project? This was always on the cards; we waste an enormous amount of time and money on Brexit to basically end up with the status quo, minus any influence within the EU.

spawnofyorkshire

@torsoinalake

It’s just a manefesto, they never get delivered anyway and half the things on that list would either get batted down by the Lords or challenged in the supreme court

It’s a dpressing read, but manefestos are fictional anyway

edhornby

The boundary changes, this will be one of the first things to further solidify tory control – JRM and Cummings have been far too quiet

petrieboy

Fentanyl addiction to reach epidemic levels in small towns across the country

Vader
    Free Member

I agree with nickc too – we are in the proverbial but we could be in deeper. Johnson can afford to flick the ERG the V’s now, and they know it. A small majority would be ghastly.
    Expect a pivot in 5,4,3……..oh he’s a one nation tory now! I’m shocked, shocked I tell you. Just like his old chum CMD. And now the red lines are getting a bit pink, and oh, there you go, Brino.

Politics is about being in power, and the cost? The rebate and a veto.

Don’t get me wrong, there is going to be some dreadful changes ahead. I can’t see the break up of the Union being one of them though. Northern Ireland maybe, Scotland no. Leavers need to be consistently polling c60% to nail that one on.

spekkie
    Free Member

“The ultimate irony. The only way to do Johnson’s mythical quick deal is to stay aligned with the EU, so what exactly was the point of the whole project? This was always on the cards; we waste an enormous amount of time and money on Brexit to basically end up with the status quo, minus any influence within the EU.”

I suspect “The point of the whole project” was nothing like anything we think or could imagine it was.

Between 2008 and 2016 I lived in South Africa (for the second time after living there for 8 yrs as a kid) and I’ve seen a lot of similarities between what’s been going on in the UK over the last 5 years and what was going on in South Africa during “the Guptagate” years. the Big Picture is nothing like and has nothing to do with the stuff they have everyone squabbling and arguing over.

sparksmcguff

As Fraser from Dad’s Army would say “we’re doomed”.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Johnson will be gone soon,

When he finds out you actually have to work at this job. When he realises he can’t just waffle through the odd speech now and then and Chuck a bit of Latin about, that there is hard graft afoot, he’ll be off like a shot.

I don’t think our Brexit is going to be anything like as hard as has been previously threatened.

Depends. Want it done by the end of 2020? Either give in to everything the EU wants or go out on WTO rules. Either way that’s 4-6% off the GDP on top of what the looming slowdown does.

Want a ‘real’ free trade agreement? 5 years. Meanwhile, a shrinking economy, payments to the EU and no say whatsoever.

maccruiskeen

Houns

No extra nurses, no extra police, no new hospitals, plenty of lies and there’s **** all we can do about it

Actually can we impeach the PM for lying? (And for financial gain via Brexit)

tjagain

Johnson will be going nowhere. He has to deliver for his paymasters

No deal brexit will happen as well. It’s what those who pay him want

kelvin

that there is hard graft afoot, he’ll be off like a shot

I know someone who worked directly for him at the FCO… he’ll be going nowhere, and is perfectly able to avoid the hard work, and sell himself as being the man suitable for his role precisely because he avoids that work.

Prediction? A lot of resigning ministers taking the blame for his government’s mistakes. A lot of civil servants retiring early, or moving posts, to try and avoid the sticky problems coming down from the top.

Johnson will be going nowhere. And he’s already won the next election; boundaries and laws will be changed to ensure it.

go out on WTO rules

That won’t mean anything by the end of next year. Some of the biggest global players are going to neuter the WTO so that they can do what they want with smaller players (like us). They probably wouldn’t have taken this route if it wasn’t for us decreasing the power and size of the EU. It’s a reminder that we made a decision that effects the whole world in 2016, not just Little Britain.

Another prediction? Both EU & USA trade deals will occur quicker than many people will expect… on terms more acceptable to them than us… we won’t have the WTO arbitration to fall back on, or be able to unilaterally stop ourselves falling out of the single market and customs union… we will sign anything.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

at the FCO… he’ll be going nowhere, and is perfectly able to avoid the hard work

I was thinking about that when I wrote it. Much harder to hide behind underlings when you are PM than foreign office. It requires actual homework to even sound remotely in touch. I think the usual waffle won’t hold up for long. Remember he has borrowed votes from people who don’t normally vote Tory. They are not going to be patient.
    He already looks like a man at the end of his rope. He’s knackered and hasn’t even started.

Both EU & USA trade deals will occur quicker than many people will expect

What are we going to sell them? Most of our exports are services (around 80% iirc). They are going to take us to the wall.

The most obvious partner, in terms of existing relationships, is Canada. They share our monarch, after all. Their banking system is highly regulated, so no chance there. There farmers are well protected, so that’s out. Even the Americans couldn’t crack those red ones and they are worth over 20 times the trade.

The ones I feel sorry for are the UK farmers. No EU subsidies, no market to sell to. They are in for hard times.

That won’t mean anything by the end of next year.

Maybe, but our deal is supposed to be done before that. So eye watering tariffs all around.

kelvin

The ones I feel sorry for are the UK farmers.

I agree. They’ll be sacrificed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Conservative Government, 2019 to 29(ish). Predictions?’ is closed to new replies.