Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Conor VS Khabib
  • Premier Icon aphex_2k
    Free Member

Anyone see the press conference? No fans allowed  Think by the end of it Conor was quite tipsy. Advertising his own whiskey. Who’s gonna watch it?

Premier Icon swedishmatt
    Free Member

3am Sunday rules out live viewing for me but will watch the replay.

My money is on Khabib?

Premier Icon aphex_2k
    Free Member

That’s my thoughts too. Some kind of choke or lock. Conors not been in the ring for 2 years. Just don’t know  That left hand. Will he be cock and confident or rusty in the ring (pier). It’s on 10am here.

Premier Icon arrpee
    Free Member

It’s a great match-up; harks back to the very early paradigm of MMA in some ways.

Feels like a very small margin for error for both guys, but more so for Conor. I just think that if Khabib can get his hands on him, even once, there’s a very good chance that it radically changes the course of the fight. It’s hard to see him getting back into it if he gets taken down and savaged in the early going. Iaquinta managed it to a limited extent, but I’m not sure Conor can regain his early lethality that late in a fight.

However, if Conor does manage to catch him hard early, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it play out something like the the Eddie Alvarez fight, where he just got stuck at the end of Conor’s range with the mistakes and damage continually mounting up until he was overwhelmed.

Fair play to Conor for taking the fight on. Monetarily, he didn’t need to do so (unless all that Maywather cash has already disapeared up his nose), and of all potential opponents, Khabib arguably has the best chance of making him look very bad indeed.

Premier Icon doris5000
    Free Member

Roll up for the Man Vs Food special

Conor vs Kebab – I agree with the above, Kebab will choke Conor

Tyson vs Burger – the burger doesn’t stand a chance

Binners vs Greggs – Greggs with a TKO in the 11th

Premier Icon martinhutch

Never mind that, what are the side odds on Conor vs Khabib’s Bus: The Rematch…?

Premier Icon swedishmatt
    Free Member

Very good fights before Khabib Vs Gobface

Premier Icon Jamie
    Free Member

The urge to punch Dillon Danis is always high, but he really really shouldn’t have done it.

**** himself up in all kind of ways….visa issues, stripped or DQ’d maybe, fines etc.

Security was piss poor, tho.

Premier Icon arrpee
    Free Member

WELP…

Premier Icon tails
    Free Member

Not really followed the sport for a while, surprised GSP still seems to be fighting.

Anyway WTF happened there, who was the guy Khabib tried to kungfu kick? What they been saying to him to piss him off? Plus those 2 blokes throwing punches at Conar in the octagon. Haha! The funny bit was despite all that trainingbthey looked like pub fighters at the end.

Premier Icon belfastflyer
    Free Member

Another cluster from the ufc. Fight was predictable as was the drama afterwards. I honestly think, with a lot of big ufc names retiring etc, they are desperately trying to drum up some press for the next ppv… just like wrestling. This and the fake tension at ever weigh ins are driving me away.

As for the fight, hopefully this means CM disappears from our TVs

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Free Member

As for the fight, hopefully this means CM disappears from our TVs

Given there is no Celebrity Big Brother that could help 😉 I’d expect his ego to find it’s way to the cameras in some form

Premier Icon Mr Woppit
    Free Member

Caught Kebab’s press conference afterwards on the news (“why you no ask about my religion, my family, my country”) but then they both seem like a couple of thickies who couldn’t think their way out of a wet paper conundrum.

Lot of arrested-development schoolboy playground nonsense. Can either of them read?

Premier Icon vongassit
    Free Member

I’m guessing Tapper 12 whiskey’s gonna be heavily discounted now.

Premier Icon mikey3
    Free Member

Aren’t only middle class skinny creatine taking white boys into ufc these days,mmm tight shorts.

Premier Icon ctk

Middle class white boys tight shorts? You’re thinking of cycling.

Khabib smashed him in the fight.  Can’t see a rematch being advisable but i guess it would sell ppvs.

Conor in danger of going on a big losing streak.

Premier Icon BoardinBob

Can either of them read?

Khabib speaks 5 languages. I’d wager a significant amount of money that he’s smarter than you

Premier Icon Mr Woppit
    Free Member

Shame he can’t do anything with all that smartness other than silly squirming around sweaty behaviour with other semi-naked throwbacks for other shouty numbskulls to self-identify with.

Premier Icon eddiebaby

At least they’re not gammons eh?

Premier Icon Mr Woppit
    Free Member

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Premier Icon Jamie
    Free Member

Khabib speaks 5 languages. I’d wager a significant amount of money that he’s smarter than you

What exactly was it about the previous poster’s comments that made you think it would be worth engaging with them?

Sometimes it’s just easier to leave people to their preconceptions.

Premier Icon ctk

Both considerably richer than you Woppit.

Premier Icon BruceWee
    Free Member

You do have to wonder why people feel the need to click on a thread, go through the painful process of logging on, only to write, “I don’t like MMA!”

Presumably they then go searching for a thread on garden gnomes to wade in shouting, “I prefer water features!”.

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

, go through the painful process of logging on, only to write, “I don’t like MMA!”

Tbf it takes 2 seconds! I’m not a fan of mma but must say I was interested in this fight because it had two top fighters invilved. Turned out that it just confirmed that I didn’t really like mma as a spectacle, much prefer boxing.

Mixed feelings on the ruckus at the end. On one hand it’s pretty shameful for all concerned, on the other at least it wasn’t some fake beef that resulted in a love in between two fighters who apparently hated each other before weigh in.

Premier Icon pondo

Bit unsure how to feel about the aftermath – Dana absolutely laps it up when Conor’s spitting nails and giving it all the pre-fight aggro, because he knows it sells tickets, but when Khabib reacts to the same thing post-fight, suddenly he’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy. There’s no condoning what he did, leaping the fence and piling into Conor’s team, but it seems somewhat short-sighted to dismiss it as totally unacceptable when the fighter is still blood-up, in the heat of competition and being subject to the same crap you were perfectly happy to sanction before the fight. I dunno – I guess the short story is I like Khabib and Conor’s a loud-mouthed braggert I’d be quite happy to see fade into obscurity. I don’t like the smack talk – they’re elite athletes scheduled to hurt each other, just have a bit of respect instead of all the gobbing off.

Premier Icon Mr Woppit
    Free Member

I prefer water features!”.

Now you’re talking.

Premier Icon bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Hi, just logging in to say I love garden gnomes.

Premier Icon BoardinBob

Shame he can’t do anything with all that smartness other than silly squirming around sweaty behaviour with other semi-naked throwbacks for other shouty numbskulls to self-identify with.

My my, you’re a terribly judgemental chap. Did you get your lunch money taken from you one time too many at boarding school?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bit unsure how to feel about the aftermath – Dana absolutely laps it up when Conor’s spitting nails and giving it all the pre-fight aggro, because he knows it sells tickets, but when Khabib reacts to the same thing post-fight, suddenly he’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy.

It’s a a business, so long as you see that it explains it all. The hype and controlled aggression gets him the publicity and the cash flowing into his pocket. The afters is ugly and involved people not on the payroll from what I saw, that impacts the cash flow. Still the halfway house between boxing and WWE

Premier Icon duir
    Free Member

Hmmm it would take me 20/30 years to earn what Khabib/Conor earned for 20 mins of silly, squirming, sweaty behaviour. If I started with £0 today it would take me 1000 years to earn McGregors net worth and I am technically in the top 10% earning percentile in the U.K.

So who’s the numbskull now?

I guess an MMA person could look at grown people in silly outfits riding equally silly looking bikes for a few £k and consider themselves smarter.

As someone that did MMA training in the early/mid 90’s I can say that full contact sparring is the most insanely hard thing to do. Let alone a proper fight in a cage for up to 25 mins, showbiz nonsense aside these athletes have my complete respect.

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

Halfway house between boxing and WWE is a pretty good description.

WWE is silly acting and a few body slams thrown in. Boxing has got a long distinguished history and tradition  .. yes it’s increasingly moving towards WWE for hype and nonsense; but it is still respected .

UFC is merely plugging into the media hype of trash talk etc to sell a grudge match .. it’s s short term winning formula, but it’s too obvious and will not serve the longevity of the genre.

Seen some clips of Khabib after fight melee .. if that was boxing he’d be banned for ever. In UFC he will prob get suspended for 3-6 months .. then sell his next fight off the back of it.

Premier Icon mm93
    Free Member

I like watching UFC.

Khabib totally dominated McGregor, which surprised me .

I thought the Ferguson fight was really good.Both fighters genuinely looked like they were enjoying themselves and had a lot of respect for each other.

Premier Icon BruceWee
    Free Member

Ah yes, boxing. Two noble pugilists matching strength and heart in an honourable duel to determine which warrior is the more righteous. Can there be a more right-minded form of entertainment for the true red-blooded male?

And then there’s MMA.  Look at those dogs, rolling on the floor like pigs doing a disgusting dance in their own excrement.  The ignominious deplorables who choose to follow this vile act of shoddy sordidness should hang their heads in shame.

In other news, how did I miss the announcement that BJ Penn is going to be fighting Ryan Hall?

If you want to talk about what’s really wrong with MMA then I think Ryan Hall pretty much sums it up.  From watching him on TUF and his youtube videos, I really like him.  He just seems like such a calm, down to earth, nice guy.  He also brings techniques and styles that no one has even thought of before, let alone seen.

I really liked Hall’s fight against Maynard.  He got himself good enough at head kicks so that he could keep Maynard at distance.  Then, if Maynard managed to get inside his range, he would just drop on his back and try to get Maynard to jump on top of him.  TBF to Maynard, he didn’t take the bait and ended up losing on points because all that happened was he got picked off with head kicks for three rounds.

Unfortunately for Ryan Hall, he has a style that is almost impossible to prepare for.  He hasn’t fought for two years because nobody wants to take a fight with him and he isn’t a big enough name or an abrasive enough personality to demand that people take him on.

The beauty of MMA is that there is no one out there who is unbeatable, and I’m not talking about someone having an off-day or a freak occurrence.  Unlike in boxing, there are simply too many aspects to be able to prepare for every gameplan.  The problem, if you have an innovative style, is that no one is going to take the risk of fighting you.  It’s easier to pick a fight with someone who’s got a big mouth and an understandable fighting style.

If the UFC wants to be anything other than a freak show it’s going to have to put less effort into the one-off big money fights and more effort into ensuring there’s a fair transparent route to the top.  What happened on Saturday is the result of chasing the money at all costs.  With a bit of luck things will change but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Fair play to BJ Penn for taking on this fight.  I’m really looking forward to it.

Premier Icon MSP

As much as I hate Conor’s antics, it is just an act. Khabib though there is something really unpleasant about the bloke.

A wresting background now seems to have established dominance in fighting styles in the octagon, I am not sure I like it. I would like to see more variety in styles, hopefully it is just a passing phase, but I suspect it is just the most effective method.

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

In the early days of MMA it was basically just wrestle the guy to the floor … bit of arms and legs wrapping around each other, and a tap out … it was very boring to watch.

it seems the organisers recognised this, and promoted a more stand up style that got more exciting KOs … reverting back to wrestling isn’t going to win it new fans.

Premier Icon BruceWee
    Free Member

I think you’re either oversimplifying or don’t know what you’re talking about.

Premier Icon Rockape63
    Free Member

I recorded the event and watched it last night fast forwarding to the action.  I really enjoy boxing, but watch these fights almost through my fingers!

I feel very uncomfortable, as the level of violence involved is extreme at times.  There were a few fights before the main event and in one, this huge black guy was hitting this guy in the face as hard as he could as he lay unprotected on the floor.  He was knocked out, but still sustained a couple more horrific blows.

The next fight could only be described as a bloodbath in the truest sense.  The commentators thought the blood was coming from one fighters mouth, when it was actually coming from the guys forehead above him.  I just watched it unfold, feeling slighting unclean as more elbows created more cuts and blood.  Incredible.

The main event was quite tame in comparison, with Khabib obviously incredibly strong when he got his hands on Mcgregor…..it was like watching a boa constrictor killing a dog.

I saw Rory McIlroy in the crowd along with some stunning women and it all just reminded me of ancient Rome.

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

I think you’re either oversimplifying or don’t know what you’re talking about.

But he has a point. As a casual observer I’d expect I’m exactly the type of person the ufc would like to appeal to if it wants to continue to grow. And the sight of 2 blokes rolling around the floor, despite how skillful it may be, isn’t particularly easy on the eye for those who don’t know much about the sport.

Premier Icon Slacks
    Free Member

I’m indifferent to MMA if that helps .

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

Yes – I was oversimplying things as a typical spectator to MMA would.

i have no doubt there is skill involved to wrestle etc … just like there is skill involved to hit a golf ball; but a wrestling type MMA contest and golf are pretty boring things to watch in my opinion.

a KO is brutal & dramatic – watching two men grabbing hold of each other and wrestle as they wrap their legs around each other’s face is a bit uncomfortable .. for a heterosexual male anyways😝

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Conor VS Khabib’ is closed to new replies.