Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Connecting DVI to VGA
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy a nettop, possibly this one from ebuyer but I need to plug it into a VGA monitor. A quick google suggest some DVI ports have VGA, some don’t. Any idea how to find out? Is one option much more likely if I take a chance? Still waiting on a response from ebuyer and acer but you guys know more than them anyway.

Failing that anyone seen a reasonably specced nettop with VGA? They all seem to be HDMI/DVI(which does make sense)

Stoner
    Free Member

I run the HDMI output from my Xbox through a magic box that squirts phono sound and VGA out the other end. Seems to work quite well on my mahoosive old samsung monitor with built in amp & speakers.

will go and check my ebay history and come back with a link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LKV385-HDMI-to-VGA-Analog-3-5mm-Audio-Video-adapter-converter-downscaler-box-/150817596602?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item231d6de4ba

Cougar

DVI-I is what you need – it carries digital and analogue signals. You can tell by looking at the port, the big flat pin is longer to prevent you from connecting an analogue plug into a digital-only socket, and there’s the four analogue pins around it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar but I can’t even find a view of the back let alone one with that kind of detail.

Stoner, that looks handy. Means it won’t be too costly a mistake if it doesn’t DVI-I

Cougar

See here:

The sockets on the right (C1-C4) are analogue.

I had a quick google and couldn’t find a definitive answer for that machine. Acer’s own datasheet just says “DVI”.

Offhand, I don’t recall ever seeing a digital-only DVI in the flesh so if I were to guess I’d say you’d probably be ok. That said, I’ve only really seen it on discreet graphics cards, what’s going on with that form factor is anyone’s guess.

aracer
    Free Member

You don’t even need to spend as much as Stoner’s solution to connect to a monitor, given you presumably don’t need audio – I have one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Black-Adapter-Converter-Laptop/dp/B007KEIRNG/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1ZKG9B72CK840 which I use to connect my RaspberryPi to a VGA monitor – if it works with a RPi then it should work with anything.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Connecting DVI to VGA’ is closed to new replies.