Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Conkai security parking notice, anyone dealt with them?
  • jsm

Anyone had any dealings with them? They ticketed me over the weekend, for not showing my permit, but I was parked in my allocated parking.

tomhoward

If it’s not the council, ignore them.

IANAL

jsm

any evidence to back that up?

pictonroad

my glovebox. couple of these ‘demands’ in there. ignore em all, pay the council but no-one else.

Cougar

pay the council but no-one else.

Or a company empowered by the council to act on their behalf, or the police, or whoever the London one is (TfL?)

Cougar

A quick Google would suggest that Conkai is an ex-clamping firm. They’ve no powers other than letters in red ink and CAPITALS.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4269957

Ignore them, they’ll go away.

jsm

Any chance of them adding anything unwanted into my credit history in the process?

nealglover
    Free Member

Any chance of them adding anything unwanted into my credit history in the process?

Did you borrow anything off them ?

Cougar

Legally? No. They can’t prove they’re writing to the correct person for a start.

It’s a barely legal scam, private parking companies have no legal right to apply fines. They can only recoup damages, for example lost revenue from you not buying a parking ticket. As you’ve got a pass and just forgot to show it, they’ve not lost anything. Certainly not the ludicrous sums of money they demand.

Charlatans, ignore them.

jsm

more importantly can they ever get anything from me seeing as it is where I’m supposed to park?

nealglover
    Free Member

more importantly can they ever get anything from me seeing as it is where I’m supposed to park?

No.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Their “dispute” is with the person who parked the car, not neccesarily the owner of the car. Write back to them, thanking them for their charming letter, indicating that their “dispute” is with the driver of the car at the time it was parked and not the owner. As they have provided insufficient information regarding this “dispute” you have decided not to forward this information (which they will have asked you to do but will have neglected to mention what legislation compels you to provide it). However, being a reasonable person, youre prepared to accept an appeal against your decision. This will incur a one off charge of £650, and any reply to your communication with the exception of an acknowledgement will be treated as an appeal and, as such, will be subject to the above charge. Any appeal which is not accompanied by the above payment will be refused, there will be no right of appral but the payment will still be payable and will be pursued through the courts.
    They’ve never replied yet

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

..or wipe your arse with the parking notice and send it back to them without a stamp

martinhutch

They are now an approved operator under the BPA scheme:

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Approved-Operators

Since 2012, it’s not quite the ‘file and forget’ approach it used to be, although that might still be quite effective. Something called Keeper Liability has been introduced under law.

Have a read of this:

Keeper liability

There’s still a lot of hoops for the parking firm to jump through to make you legally liable as the keeper, chances are they won’t bother, but the tickets are not as unenforceable as they used to be.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s all irrelevant anyway, as they need to prove a loss.

And as the car that was ticketed, was in the space it was allocated to be in, there is no loss.

MartynS

Have some fun if you want. I assume the space is either yours as flat owner or leased as part of the flat from a landlord.
    It’s your property, they are trespassing on your land. Write back and instruct them if there operative enters your property again they agree to pay you £50 for every trespass event.
    I’d also get on to the management company and inform them you don’t recognise this company, nor agree yo there terms.
    However I wouldn’t ignore it.. Knock it on the head now removes any slight possibility of court papers in the future
    Have a look on pepipoo for other similar cases, if you cAn be bothered you could quietly while away an hour on a dark winters evening

nealglover
    Free Member

I reckon it would be more fun to let them take you to court and then stand there and ask why you shouldn’t be allowed to park your car in your parking space.

And exactly what financial loss they were claiming for you doing so.

zilog6128

The problem with the above two approaches is that this firm will have been authorised by your management company, on behalf of you (if you own the property) or your landlord (if you rent) to do a job i.e. Issue tickets to people who don’t display permits.

I wouldn’t expect them to back down easily either as most of these firms don’t charge a fee for their services, all of their revenue comes from “fines”. Problems like this are why, in my car park, we decided we’d put the threatening signs up (which does the job most of the time) but not actually employ any ticketers.

Have you tried speaking to your management company to see what they say about it?

Cougar

his firm will have been authorised by your management company,

… and? Unless your management company is “the council” that makes no difference to anything.

scuttler

Like another geezer says you’re liable for losses. I can’t for the life of me figure out how anyone else has lost out here as the space is only for you. Tell ’em to do one or ignore their 72pt red, yellow and black font letters.

nealglover
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect them to back down easily either as most of these firms don’t charge a fee for their services, all of their revenue comes from “fines”.

So what ?

They can “not back down easily” as much as they like.

They have incurred no loss.

They can take it all the way to court if they want to, they can’t possibly win.

No loss = nothing to claim in court.

BoardinBob

No loss = nothing to claim in court.

Won’t stop them taking it to court though. Conkai are a new mob but plenty of others do take court action now. It’s winnable in court, though riskier but if they’re AOS members it can be killed earlier.

Since the introduction of the PoFA 2012, the ignore advice no longer applies in England and Wales. Still ignore in Scotland, but south of the border it can be sorted out easily.

First, go here: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60

Step 1 – Appeal to the parking company. They will reject your appeal.

Step 2 – Ask them for a POPLA code. Demand it. This costs the parking company £27!

Step 3 – Lodge an appeal with POPLA on the basis of the parking charge is not a GPEOL using guidance from Pepipoo.

Follow the advice on POPLA appeals closely on Pepipoo. The fact you have the right to use the parking space has failed at POPLA e.g. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=87047

There are guaranteed arguments on the Pepipoo site that will definitely win the POPLA appeal

redstripe
    Free Member

Not quite the same but I got my van ticketed by a certain company who use all official looking letters and threats, advice I got was unless it was the police or local council after you, just ignore, so I did, not heard anything since. Thread here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/parking-ticket-worth-disputing-or-rolling-over

zilog6128

They have incurred no loss.

They can take it all the way to court if they want to, they can’t possibly win.Well, you would hope so. Although the parkingcowboys.co.uk site linked to above specifically mentions the case of being in your allocated space but not having a permit. It basically comes down to whether the permits are mentioned in your freehold/leasehold, which would constitute a contract – breach of which could be interpreted as a loss (depending on the judge in court on the day, apparently!)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Conkai security parking notice, anyone dealt with them?’ is closed to new replies.