Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • Coniston Loop Ride – Sunday 28 Feb
  • yoshimi

Following on from last weeks thread about routes around Coniston, I’ve foolishly agreed to go out on a ride with Fagus this sunday. I pretty sure Junkyard is coming and also my mate Faz. Fagus will be devising a route but not sure what time we’re going yet (waiting to hear back from Fagus). Lowey expressed an interest along with a few others……….?

yoshimi

Just heard off Fagus, meeting at the VC at 9:30am.

ton

i think i shall grace you with my presence. 😉

Fagus
    Free Member

It’s actually March 1st on Sunday 😳

Deejay is bringing the Darlington boys over, so we could have a gathering of the clans. The guy I’ve been out with today from Burnley will come if he can talk SWMBO round.

Anyone else?

20 miles, with as little as possible on NFT. (All subject to change, of course.)

We ride at 10AM.

miketually
    Free Member

Deejay is bringing the Darlington boys over

Who are the Darlington boys? Anyone I know?

Fagus
    Free Member

Come along and find out 😀

yoshimi

My superstar components calendar has it as Sunday 28th 😉

I look forward to it Ton 🙂

fatgit
    Free Member

Miketually-me and Deejay are going over. There is room in my car if you want a lift over.
    Cheers
    Steve

Junkyard
    Free Member

will be there but may be tricky as I broke my wheel last night @ rivvy (well a couple of spokes) off to merlin to see if I can get it fixed otherwise I will be riding on my 9 speed v brake wheel with turbo tyre- will this slow me down?

yoshimi

I’ll be driving up with junkyard and mate Faz-junk, don’t worry about the wheel sowing you down , I’ll wait for you 🙂

lowey

Trying to drum up a bit of support from my lot at the moment. Left it a bit late though.

I’ll let guys know. What route you thinking of Fagus ?

mattyh222
    Free Member

if im about on sunday I will probably join you guys, though i think im on my way back home (ambleside) from sheffield so may not make it, next one definitely!

Matt

Fagus
    Free Member

Lowey,

The route is/might be:-

Start at VC and take in first section NFT, including those greasy angled planks – ugh!

Up onto the moor, then over Parkamoor to the hippy commune. Back across the long rough stuff (Dad, Grandad & dentist the locals call it) finishing on Moor Lane when we can see what work has been carried out on the bottom section.

Along to Satterthwaite, the over Breasty Haw to the fire road. Take the singletrack round the back of the tarns to finish up at The Fox, then down to Esthwaite. Not sure whether to turn at Near Sawrey, or go to Far Sawrey so that we can take in the ford. Over Claife to Hollin Band. We then have the option of the Belle Grange descent followed by the road climb back to Basecamp, or omitting this bit by cutting across to take up the Rough Hows/Colthouse track.

Then Hawkshead and up the long slog back into the forest. We finish off by coming down Titty’s Track.

Just about 20 miles without the Belle Grange loop.

All subject to change/fitness/weather etc.

As George Bush used to say “All options remain on the table”.

lowey

Reet, best bring my peddling legs then. Not done the Belle Grange descent for years.

I’ll be coming up on me jack jones I think. You lot best promise to wait for me at the bottom of the rocky stuff!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

*gulps* wonders how to get fit in three days
    considers family commitments as excuse
    Rings Lance to ask about “supplements”
    decides on regular mechanical failure/knee injury as excuse.
    asks pathetically how much of this is climbing?

I assume FS bike is best option given the long rough stuff (Dad, Grandad & dentist the locals call it)

Fagus
    Free Member

It’s not that[/i] rough. You’ll be fit enough. If I can get round anyone can. There’s only 3000′ of climbing. Last week we did 4500′ of climbing in the same distance, round Kentmere. This should be easy. Deffo full susser for me.

I intend to lead from the rear, me and lowey can hold hands going down the rocky stuff – slowly!

PS Junkyard, don’t forget those grip thingies.

lowey

Dont worry Junkyard… theres plenty of bail out options for tired legs… and I have them all committed to memory!!

Which car park are we all meeting in ? Bogle crag for the chiselers (me) :p

Fagus
    Free Member

We’re all meeting in the main (new) VC car park at 9.30 to ride at 10. That’s 10 ish, very ish.

jwt
    Free Member

(Dad, Grandad & dentist the locals call it) Its a long story about the names,but they’ve recently been sanitised, saying that, a few good storms and the odd convoy of 4X4’s and it’ll be back to good and rough 😀

Fagus
    Free Member

I understood that the dentist was so called because it rattled your fillings out? Don’t know about the others. Care to educate us?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I look forward to shattering your illusions by being both slower up hill and down hill than you both.
    Grips found and packed for the journey – you onlt get them at the end….. my insurance that you are telling the truth
    I pray to the gods that you are talking feet and not metres.
    See you all there

lowey

Will you all be wearing carnations and carrying a copy of the times so I know who you are ?

Fagus
    Free Member

The accepted form of dress is to have the left trouser leg rolled up to knee height, wearing an apron and carrying a rolling pin in the right hand. Failing that I’ll be on a team colour 575, and there’s no way you’ll miss ton!

yoshimi

Should be good this 🙂

lowey

Frank, just noticed your message by chance on Fotopic… I hardly ever check on there really.

Edited profile to include email address now anyway.

See you Sunday.

Fagus
    Free Member

[admin mode on] lowey, why don’t you speak nicely to yoshimi? He’s travelling from Chorley and says he’s room for another.[admin mode off]

D0NK

Sounds tempting, where is this VC you speak of?

(I’d hazard a guess at grizedale visitors centre but not sure)

miketually
    Free Member

There is room in my car if you want a lift over.

Thanks for the offer, maybe some other time, but this Sunday has the excitement of a 3rd birthday party I have to take my kids to 🙁 Just wondered who the Darlo peeps were.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

oooo,

I could well be up for this…

Sounds good…

yoshimi

Donk – yep, at the Grizedale visitors centre, meant to be a huge car park there – drop me an email and I’ll send you my mobile number in case you cant find us on the day

Lowey, you’re welcome if you needa lift up there

grumm
    Free Member

That’s a great route, did bit of it last Friday. I will be out on Sunday but will probably stay clear as Fagus got angry and called me a southerner once. 😛

Fagus
    Free Member

Car park is just to the south of the visitor centre, on the other side of the road. Big car park, loads of signs.

Fagus
    Free Member

as Fagus got angry and called me a southerner once.

You’ve a better memory than me 🙄 Why would I do that. You’re from Kendal way aren’t you?

But you are welcome, southerner or not 😀

All are welcome, except racing snakes. Don’t do racing!!

lowey

Yoshi, cheers mate, but your on ‘tother side of the hill to me, I’ll be using M65.

Company car and free derv anyway.

Fagus,

just to confirm because last time I was up that neck of the woods they were knocking it all about. Is this the car park on the left or right when approaching from Moor Top towards Satterthwaite.

Fagus
    Free Member

If you’re coming from Moor Top the VC is on your right, and the car park is 100 yards or so past it on your left. Can’t park at VC (or couldn’t last time I was there) because it’s a building site

lowey

Got yer!

yoshimi

my phone has ‘crashed’ – fagus / junkyard send you a mail with another mobile number

ton

anyone need a lift i can take 2.
    will be coming on the m62, m61 and m6
    email in profile.

Vortexracing

Anychance of being able to tag along?

I might be able to get a pass out for Sunday, but not sure yet.

Fagus
    Free Member

Sure you can. The more the merrier. You’ll have to forget the racing bit of your name!

Don’t you come from Horwich way? Give Yoshimi or ton a shout. They are both offerring lifts.

Let us know if you are making your own way there, so that we know to wait or not.

Haven’t you got a Ventana? You can compare notes with ton.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Coniston Loop Ride – Sunday 28 Feb’ is closed to new replies.