Confused! Where exactly is Cut Gate trail in the Peaks, that is a must-ride?

Home Forum Bike Forum Confused! Where exactly is Cut Gate trail in the Peaks, that is a must-ride?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Confused! Where exactly is Cut Gate trail in the Peaks, that is a must-ride?
  • scuttler

Aye. Good as an out and back from either end or as an extension to the loops around Derwent/Ladybower, but only when it’s been dry. This week would present good opportunities as an evening ride.

DenDennis

its a good ‘un. mainly the descents, as the ‘ups’ from ladybower side are VERY hard to ride, if rideable at all. I’m not sure if anyone on here can claim to get up those with no dabs or pushing.

even though its short, don’t underestimate how tricky/energy sapping it is, I found the bouldery bits along the top quite heavy going too but I’m no riding god. beautiful views from the top.

benman

Don’t get too excited… People only rave about it because its the only decent length ribbon of singletrack in the dark peak which is legal to ride.

if rideable at all. I’m not sure if anyone on here can claim to get up those with no dabs or pushing.

It’s doable (I’ve done it all in sections if not the whole thing)

You can ride it as part fo a vague loop of the resevoir from Fairholmes but it’s a lot of road. Best done in an evening parking at Langsett after work and doing as a quick out and back.

Just be carefull, some bits feel quite trail center (especialy the singletrack on the langsett side after the rocky/river bed section), but it’s not and you do occasionaly get big dislodged rocks in the middle of the trail hidden round corners as the trails erroded into a bit of a gulley! And the south end switchbacks aren’t quite as clear decending as they are climbing (easy to go straight on and end up off the trail/down a cliff of you miss one).

strike

Good – so I am looking in the right place! And now looking at it, I’m inclined to agree it’s more of an out and bcak route, rather than trying to make it part of a bigger day loop.

Thanks for the replies and cue another post…….

strike

Followng on from my post yesterday (thanks for the replies), looking at the advice on routes and looking at where I can see Cut Gate, and I can’t make them tally.

Looking at my OS map, I can see a path – Gut Gate, that goes from the Northern tip of Howden Resevoir, in a Northerly direction towards Langsett.

Is this the same Cut Gate trail and is this a ‘must do’ trail in the Peaks?!

jackthedog

It is an overrated bit of trail really. For me its appeal lies mostly with how exposed it feels.

It does make a good part of a bigger day loop but it ends up being a pretty big loop, and if you ride it on its own, there’s not enough to keep you busy for any length of time. Can get busy with walkers too.

Like said above, it’s a good out–and–back evening ride.

Langsett > Cut Gate > around the reservoir and BW up to Whinstone Lee Tor (?) > down to Cut Throad Bridge and continue down to the bridge over Ladybower > around the reservoir to Fairholmes for food and drink > back the way you came to Langsett.

From Langsett, I reckon its best to start at the dam end and pick up the BW to Cut Gate, passing North America and doing the fork that comes through North America on the way back before turning left and finishing on the switchbacks down to the top end of Langsett. Both options are as good as each other though. Some nice cheeky bits in Langsett Woods as well on the way back to the car park (if its an evening!).

banks

Probably one the best evening rides going! Out and back from Langsett carpark through the trees. Don’t bother with the bw it’s shit.

Premier Icon christhetall
    Subscriber

Did it as part of a loop from Sheffield a couple of weeks back – actually I spent most of the day in Greno and Wharncliffe and then finish off the day by going along the TPT and back over Cutgate. It took a bit longer than I expected and got home just before 10pm !

scruff

You can do a big circular with Cut & Doctors gates & snow road.

Premier Icon Orangejohn
    Subscriber

A fabulous piece of trail particularly in dry conditions, ride it now!
    Can get a bit tedious in wet weather, some boggy sections; probably still are despite all the sun.
    I love it, one of my favourite rides in good condition.
    I always start from the Ladybower side, short loop at the Langsett side and back the same way.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

Confused! Where exactly is Cut Gate trail in the Peaks, that is a must-ride?

it’s important to remember that for Cut-Gate to be an option, the weather needs to be peachy and dry for days ifnot weeks.

in such circumstances, ANY ride would be awesome, and super-trippy, and a thing of wonder.

if Cut-Gate is ‘on’, then yes, you MUST ride, just not necessarily along Cut-Gate…

(plenty of other options that offer more swoopy love, for less effort, hype and traffic)

samuri

I’ve no idea where it is either but I’m loving this thread where no-one has still actually said where it is. 😉

jackthedog

samuri
    I’ve no idea where it is either but I’m loving this thread where no-one has still actually said where it is

I took it that the answer was the first world of the first reply, because it is as he asks.

strike
    Looking at my OS map, I can see a path – Gut Gate, that goes from the Northern tip of Howden Resevoir, in a Northerly direction towards Langsett.

Is this the same Cut Gate trail and is this a ‘must do’ trail in the Peaks?!

scuttler
    Aye.

unstableJ

no-one has still actually said where it is

It’s really very easy to find as it’s the only bridleway up and over the tops for miles around, just look on a OS map…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Confused! Where exactly is Cut Gate trail in the Peaks, that is a must-ride?’ is closed to new replies.