Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Confused by Five Ten choices
  • StuE
    Free Member

I have a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Ten-Guide-Tenie-Hiking/dp/B00HF1X2X4
    can’t fault them

julioflo
    Free Member

StuE they look great. Dual duty as a hiking bike also. Obviously. How does the walking rocker work on the pedal?

eb2429
    Free Member

Freerider Pro, very grippy solid shoe with no fabric upper to soak up water like other 5-10s. Spray tongue and lace with the waterproof stuff to help, Will my feet get a wet in the winter? probably a little but excellent overall

chiefgrooveguru

Freerider Pro, very grippy solid shoe with no fabric upper to soak up water like other 5-10s

But holes over the toes to let water in? And there’s no fabric on the upper of Elements, ELC or EPS – they’re a mix of synthetic and real leather.

eb2429
    Free Member

Clear dubbin works for the those little holes in the winter.

corrected ” no cloth fabric upper to soak up water like some other 5-10s”

deadkenny
    Free Member

My main problem with Five Tens is the stealth rubber doesn’t last. I get a couple of years out of a pair. Old sponge-tastic Imapcts, newer Impacts, Freeride Elements. All about the same. Either detach around the edge or holes develop in the bottom.

Though I do like them, just it’s when I’ve got walking shoes that have lasted 20 years, but bike shoes that last 2. Admitted more riding than walking, but riding the shoes are just sat on pedals, not impacting ground. Even if they lasted 5 it wouldn’t be so bad.

I know you can re-sole them, but for the cost it’s another pair basically.

So on that note, I’m undecided which is best. I prefer the Freerider style, but none are more durable than the other for me.

a11y

I’m intrigued by the Only What’s Necessary shoes as an alternative to Five Tens etc. Twice the price but if they lasted double the time…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Admitted more riding than walking, but riding the shoes are just sat on pedals

Metal pins are the issue.

chiefgrooveguru

I prefer the Freerider style, but none are more durable than the other for me.

Of the current Freerider there are three different sole compounds: Mi6 are softest, S1 middle and Phantom hardest. The Phantom soles on my Freerider ELC are wearing much better than the Mi6 soles on my Freerider Elements.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Confused by Five Ten choices’ is closed to new replies.