Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • COnfidence in patched tubeless tyre?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

When you get a hole in a tyre that sealant wont fix, how confident are you in the tyre once its been patched?

Sidewall nick a couple of days ago so cleaned inside area with IPA, scuffed up a tiny bit, put a patch on and then also dabbed a bit of rubber solution over the nick on the outside of tyre.

Seems to be holding fine but there is a niggling part of me that says its not ‘race-worthy’ now, especially as sundays course is bumpy and lumpy in parts. I’ve got hold of a different tyre but went for a file-tread as its been dry for ages whereupon the weather forecast changed to rain 🙄

wwaswas

I’ve run tyres with anchovies in for months with no problem. I’d be comfortable with a patch too.

legend
    Free Member

Never patched one but tubeless plugs seem bullet proof (currently running 4) as an alternative

Yak

I’ve run tyres like that for over a year – all fine. Can you give it a good hard ride before sunday?

ferrals
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks guys, just needed the confidence upped 😀

Yak, did 2hrs of training on it last night with lots of hard cornering and offcambers at fairly low pressure (20psi) and it held fine, will give it a hammer through some rockier/rootier terrain tomorrow to double check.

Yak

Should be fine then. Have a good race.

ferrals
    Free Member

cheers 8)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My anchovies seen to last for the life time of the tyre.

asbrooks

I stitched the last split using dental floss along with a patch inside the tyre. No issues at all.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use automotive plug patches. They seem to work well.

nytmadn
    Free Member

I’ve got a few patches on the inside of mine and they’ve held fine, no problems.

Northwind

I’m confident in any repair I’ve done- because I don’t patch it unless I’m confident it’s a patchable repair. That’s basically the heart of it, it’s not the patch, it’s the damage itself. (I don’t really like the anchovies, I patch from the inside)

But the worst case scenario is you get the same puncture back so it’s not like it’ll go on fire or something.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Patches, generally if it’s up by the bead, no, the tyre bulges and leaks.

The worms work better IMO. But they can work their way out if it’s up by the rim.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

As above…. Inch long flint gash in tubeless hans damf. Stitched with fine nylon thread (no patch). The spooge formed a solid plug (like reinforced concrete). Still riding regularly after a year and absolutely fine. Was on the tread portion of the carcass though…. Not sure a sidewall repair using this method would work.

singlespeedstu

just needed the confidence upped

You’re sure to die in a huge explosion of Stans and rubber.
    That in it’s self is fine if you can deal with looking like you’re a bukake addict.

ferrals
    Free Member

Held up fine for the race 🙂 nice and confident now

ferrals
    Free Member

Although I just switched to a file tread for Sunday and the patch was only a third stuck on so I think I was lucky last Sunday!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘COnfidence in patched tubeless tyre?’ is closed to new replies.