Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Conditions in Peaks.
  • forgotmename
    Free Member

Peak District, conditions around Ladybower and Edale area, Is there still too much snow to ride. Thanks.

garethh
    Free Member

Was just wondering the same, I can confirm that wyming brook and redmires to stanage pole was fine last week. Derwent edge/ back tor footpath was deep snow involving 3 hours of pushing and wading to travel about 3 miles. Not sure how this week has affected it, though presuming there will be a lot less snow,

Gareth

will
    Free Member

Just next to stanage this morning, was very surprised at just how much snow there was.

Quite a lot has just turned to ice but still offers some grip which is nice. I’d guess the main routes would be fine, but once you head across the moors you may hit difficulties…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Derwent edge/ back tor footpath was deep snow involving 3 hours of pushing and wading to travel about 3 miles

the key word there is footpath

you’d have been pushing whatever the conditions i take it

phiiiiil

‘Cos in deep snow where your wheels don’t actually touch the ground you’re going to attain dangerously high speeds and cause lots of erosion? 🙂

garethh
    Free Member

michaelwright: not really, there is a bridleway up to back tor, then its large grit slabs all the way along the edge, it makes a great ride with no damage to the surface, with only about 20m of pushing usually. We did manage to ride bits and it was pretty good fun, saw loads of people XC skiing which looked like fun,

Gareth

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

whatever, it’s a footpath in an extremely sensitive area surrounded by great bridleways. your actions just do harm to the cause of cycling. your choice though.

garethh
    Free Member

Indeed it is. We had plenty of pleasant chats with walkers and skiiers along the edge about the great weather, the original intention was to use the bridleways but these were actually impassable. A memorable day in great weather, I suspect this weekend might be a bit damper, though lots of the snow has remained on the higher ground, still equally spectacular.

Interestingly I wonder what the legal standpoint is on pushing or carrying a bike on a footpath?

Gareth

carlos
    Free Member

Back on topic…..

Peak District, conditions around Jacobs ladder, Roych Clough, South head and Edale area Thanks.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not sure about legally but from the relevant local bodies/red sock brigade it’s usually fine to push on a footpath, personally i would carry in really soft bits if i had to make the choice. also i suspect on footpaths that carry farm traffic you are on fairly safe ground with other users.

garethh
    Free Member

Just tried a quick google but no definitive answer. Agree with the pushing on softer bits, some of the worst damage in the peak is on the track from cut throat bridge up to derwent and then down whinstone lee tor to ladybower, its a shame we can’t have some sort of volutary ban on some tracks in the peak during winter/ wetter months.

Some of the key peak trails around hope and edale are getting trashed due to the sheer volume of riders whereas if you venture south or west the trails are quiet.

Gareth

antigee

walked up to Derwent Edge today from the Strines road and some drifts up to thigh level if you are a short@rse – from Whinston Lee to Cut Throat Bridge was blown a bit clearer but v. icey from much redsock boots though could see where a couple of bikes had been thru – just a snapshot – rideable, yes , hardwork and allow a lot of time YES, take an extra jumper in case you pile up

as to riding off the end of Foulstone Road (hint hint – what is it called) which in South Yorks is a bridleway as far as the edge, as is Dukes Road – Derbyshire CC, the Peak Authority and the National Trust (that i believe own this piece of land and have a grand policy on cycling) need to get their act together – one or two permissive leisure routes to get people off sofas is not effective implementation of big word policies – the current access situation should change to if its CROW then it ok on a pushbike and forget the 1950’s screw ups and the fact that no one had invented off road riding at that time.

I wouldn’t ride Derwent Edge at weekend to avoid hassle but when i have been challenged my response is the law is wrong and is an historical anachronism – i’ve written to the relevant authorities asking for change – their policies say they will provide access for off road cycling but the reality is just the status quo and a cafe at Fairholmes – the reason some trails suffer damage from use by bikes is that there are simply too few routes open – the path down from Whinstone Lee is a good example, if alternative routes were available the erosion would reduce

oddly today most intrusive activity was motorised parepents ho-hum

forgotmename
    Free Member

Thanks antigee, il be giving it a miss this weekend then.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

enough snow to stand teh bike up in on Houndkirk last night!

Love it!

antigee

forgotmename – Member
    Thanks antigee, il be giving it a miss this weekend then.

didn’t want to put you off! think ok but hard work and allow more time
    think it might be rewarding in that painful sort of way

midlifecrashes

New bike looking good, Will, looks like you’ve had a nice ride christen it. Rebas fitted and working well, I’ll sort out some bars and the last of the new drivetrain tomorrow and the hardtail will be back in action.

will
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member
    New bike looking good, Will, looks like you’ve had a nice ride christen it. Rebas fitted and working well, I’ll sort out some bars and the last of the new drivetrain tomorrow and the hardtail will be back in action.

Pleased you like them Dave! Yeh the new bike is a blast, makes boring trails fun and silly fast! Think you got them for a bargain, just seen some go for a silly price of £140 plus PP on the bay lol

AndyPaice
    Free Member

wetter than a very wet thing today, with just enough snow left to make it very hard work indeed. hopefully be back to normal by next weekend with the snow gone,but a whole load of water around

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Conditions in Peaks.’ is closed to new replies.