conditions around Rochdale

Home Forum Bike Forum conditions around Rochdale

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • conditions around Rochdale
  • peachos

I'm supposed to be leading a ride around my old stomping ground tomorrow night and am wondering whether anyone can give me an idea as to what the trails are like after the snow at the weekend (don't live around there any more)?

Specifically Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, Newhey, Piethorn/Ogden Reserviors.

Many thanks!

samuri

snowy…apparently. Steve Makin took these pictures on Saturday.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=blackstone+edge&ss=2&s=rec

peachos

can't see those samuri – will have to wait til i get home later. snowy enough to ride on or would it just be stupid to drag people up there??

samuri

It looks rideable for the most part. Obviously it depends on the people. I passed a group of lads up Rivington on Sunday who all looked like they were stumbling across the antarctic. Two of them were pushing their bikes doubled up in fear that they were going to die up there. It was a little bit windy with some light snow falling.

peachos

hmmm…they're all relatively comeptent riders so might be alright. Suppose I'll just have to ask them whether they want to chance it. Cheers for the help mate!

Premier Icon stevemakin
    Subscriber

although I was walking it was easily rideable at the top of Blackstone Edge, might be different now after a couple of very coild nights, very icey I would imagine.

Premier Icon rangerbill
    Subscriber

Today its powdery snow (crunchy, nice to ride in) but its now melting with the chance of re freezing later on.

BFITH

I was over at Readycon Dean Reservoir yesterday (PBW)…Plenty of snow, some old and some new…but all rideable!!

bigsurfer

It was lovely yesterday, a couple of inches of nice crunchy snow, loads of grip and no real ice but the mud beneith was pretty well frozen. That was going around from Wardle Res to Calderbrook over the top, so not as high as blackstone edge approx 1200ft at highest point. It has been pretty sunny today and all traces of snow have now gone in Littleborough so my guess is most of the snow will have gone apart fron the shady and high parts that will probably be icy. If I manage to get out tonight I will update.

Cheers Bigsurfer.

peachos

cheers for the responses people!

Premier Icon Ed-O
    Subscriber

Lee Quarry is covered in snow. Higher ground like Blackstone Edge will have plenty and as it's a bit windy it's drifting.

AdrianW

I think there's more snow forecast for tomorrow evening as well, the existing snow as Ed pointed out is drifting in the wind which probably means the tracks that are cuts like above piethorne will be filling up with snow again. The wind was bitter on high ground today, and that was in the sun.

SnS

On Saturday, Ogden & Piethorne reservoirs were fine – Odd snowey & icy patches, but nothing to get excited about.

Above Ogden / Piethorne – leading up to the mast at windy hill ( M62 J 22) – now, that's a different story. All was pretty much rideable until the signpost ( left for Windy Hill – 1 & 3/4 miles, Right points Pennine Bridleway – Piethorne 3/4 mile)

Barring a couple of hundred metres, I ended up pushing through snow all the way to the mast – Decided against going over to blackstonedge in favour of a bit of tarmac to the Ramms Head & down back to Ogden & Piethorne.

HTH
    Chris

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘conditions around Rochdale’ is closed to new replies.