Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Concussion, return to play
  • anagallis_arvensis

Ran into a door frame on sunday night….long story, thought someone was nicking my bikes!!

Anyway big lump and headaches, wasnt knocked out and other than sleeping a bit poorly and having slight headache have had few symptoms. Have read various things online and I’ve had none of the seek medical help symptoms. Should I go for my usual road ride on saturday morning? Obviously falling off and head butting a tree would be bad, but would a 60km group ride at an easish pace for me be a good thing or a bad? Good advice on this seems hard to find so wwstw do?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Well a woman at work hit her head on a door frame 3 years ago and it still troubled by it.

So it depends really!  If you are not feeling 100%, I wouldn’t go. It’s one ride.

w00dster

I’d say you will be fine. The chances of you taking another knock to the head road riding are fairly low. The chances of your concussion (if you had concussion) after a week of making you fall of a road bike are also going to be fairly low.
    But that being said, only you really know if you are feeling any after effects still. If you are, then I’d leave it…maybe. Actually I probably would ride regardless but then I’m a 47 year old teenager who would ride and take the risk.

finishthat
    Free Member

+1 give yourself some time to recover , thats what you need your energy and blood flow for , your head not your legs , and if it gets worse in any way go and get checked.

twistedpencil

If you’re asking the question then there’s some doubt in your mind. Personally I’d miss the ride this weekend and give myself time to fully recover.

Yak

Miss the ride and have a rest. The last time I hit a door frame I lost feeling down one side and ended up in the ct scanner. I might have been a bit knocked out too. Can’t be sure. Took a few weeks to get over it.

TiRed

Get on the turbo. Get the heart rate up. See if that head explodes. If i was still troubled today, I’d not bother. Previously I’d be out but if you are feeling ill, don’t ride is my new mantra. When I raced Ill it did not end well last year!

ads678

I’d probably ride, but then I’m a bit of a nob. Anyone else I’d tell to rest.

Unless you feel absolutely fine you should rest. You watch enough rugby to know what the consequences can be.

anagallis_arvensis

Get on the turbo. Get the heart rate up. See if that head explodes

LOL! I thought that but I dont have a turbo, my other thought was if its a group ride at least someone will call an ambulance!!

anagallis_arvensis

You watch enough rugby to know what the consequences can be.

Indeed but thats due to chances of another head knock, the suggestion is looking online that a bit of aerobic exercise helps recovery.

pyranha

My wife fell over and hit her head on a rock (honest!) while hill walking in the summer, and was still feeling after effects weeks later. In particular, she said poor road surfaces made her feel sick as her head felt like it was being really rattled around – as if her neck wasn’t fully isolating her head from the vibration.

I would err on the side of caution.

sc-xc

I had concussion from kickboxing, an immediate headache…after 5 days I went to A&E but because I didn’t trigger their indicators, I didn’t get a scan.

I followed the doctor’s advice of ‘take painkillers, take it easy’ for a further 4 weeks…until I rushed into hospital for emergency brain surgery.

My ‘concussion’ was in fact a bleed (subdural haematoma) but because I had left it so long it had got worse. I was told that a further 36 hours would have probably seen me off…definitely a stroke at least.

I’m on a phased return to work after nearly 6 weeks off, and only just getting physically and emotionally back to normal.

If someone has asked me during my headaches – I would have played it down. If it persists for any longer perhaps get it checked out?

BillOddie

If in doubt get checked out.

You need to be taking 2 weeks off minimum.

https://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/Headcase%20Graduated%20Return%20To%20Play%202018.pdf

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Concussion, return to play’ is closed to new replies.