Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • concrete base for a garage , diy ?
  • lord
    Free Member

been quoted £550 for the base only , garage is 14 x 8 , does this seem the going rate , worth having a go at doing it yourself do you think ? cheers

jonba
    Free Member

How much of that is materials and how much skill/labour?

If it is going to cost you £500 to do it yourself then pay £50 IMO. If it is going to cost £50 in materials then give it a go.

drlex
    Free Member

If you’re not wanting a powerfloat finish & can borrow a ‘mixer, then DIY. If that’s a price for 100mm with re-inforcement & a float finish, then it seems a reasonable price.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s dirt cheap. Work out your volume of concrete at about 150mm thick and 6m3 of ready mixed concrete is well over £600 these days. In fact I’m suspicious that £550 is too cheap TBH, without doing the sums.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Done the sums!
    3m3 of concrete roughly but you pay for the ‘uncarried’ too on part loads, 6m3 being a full load. Then you need shuttering, reinforcing, lining, tools….
    For £550 I seriously wouldn’t bother DIY.

lord
    Free Member

cheers for the advice , its gonna be a vespa/cycle store with space for a bench and bike work stand , iam fed up of waiting for a fine day to work on the bike and the vespa doent like being outside over winter , gonna get some leccy in there also 🙂

br
    Free Member

gonna get some leccy in there also

Do it in the right order then.

footflaps

If the garage is going to be block built have you checked what depth foundations you need for building control?

nickjb
    Free Member

Won’t need building regs for one that size. Also I only make it 1.5m3 of concrete. If you can get the mixer in close it won’t take long to pour. Less than half a day for you and a mate plus £150 for the concrete.

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

Nickjb yer spot on with the amount, at 150mm thick 1.5cube if you had it delivered it would cost about £240.00
    Then youve got 2 sheets of reinforcing mesh £40.00 and a roll of 2000 grade
    Visqueen £25.00 and a couple of sheets of shutter ply £36.00. Then a days labour for 2 men £300.00,
    £616.00 + vat £738.00 so at £550.00 thats dirt cheap.

lord
    Free Member

footflaps its gonna be a concrete bolt-together type

Sandwich

DIY will take 4 to 6 hours for 3 of you, one on the mixer and two working the barrow and mixed muck. Personal experience would recommend that you hire or borrow the largest mixer you can. A barrow mixer will take ages the larger ones produce about 2 barrows of mix per load. Bear in mind the diesel donkey engines are loud so warn the neighbours.

tonyplym
    Free Member

DIY materials for 1.5 cubic m of concrete would be 3 bulk bags of aggregate and 18 bags of cement. Don’t underestimate how much effort this is going to take to mix – there’s over 3 tons of material here, and that’s about 30 mixes in a small Belle-style mixer. 6 minutes per mix would be good going, so 3 hours of non-stop graft.

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

Theres 3 hours setting shuttering and placing reinforcing and visqueen before
    You even start with concrete. (Thats if you want to do the job properly.)

footflaps

I’d just get the concrete delivered and poured on site if there is good road access.

davewilson634
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do it for less the £850… Take them up but keep a eye on their work

qwerty
    Free Member

quoted £550 for the base only ,

What’s included in that?

Shuttering, type of concrete, depth of concrete, reinforcing mesh, hand or machine finish???

wrightyson
    Free Member

Pp where do you buy your concrete from, a man with a mask and gun?
    Fwiw 1.5m3 wil be four bulk bags at a minimum of £28 each and 20 bags of op, at £3.50 ish. So materials alone are nearly £200. I can get 1.5 delivered on a pay what you lay lorry for that price, and for that it’ll be a better mix and more consistent mix wise.
    The lads that have quoted 550 aren’t far wrong and in real terms that isn’t way too cheap.
    I can shutter a base like that in 15 mins.
    Also if you do decide to go DIY have you “handled” ready mix before? You’ll be paying waiting time on anything over 20 mins for that sort of quantity.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Don’t forget to cast a decent security anchor loop or similar into the base to lock your bikes to.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘concrete base for a garage , diy ?’ is closed to new replies.