Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Concrete advice needed
  • Selled
    Free Member

I have just put a metal walled pool into the ground. I now have to pour in a concrete collar around it to prevent any earth cave-ins destroying the walls whenever the pool is emptied.

I have read that the ideal mixture for concrete is 1 part cement, 2 or 3 parts sand, 3 parts stones. As this will be more of a gap filler rather than a structural piece, will I get away with throwing a load of rocks and smashed up paving stones into the mix as I pour it? Can I increase the sand or stone ratio? If anyone can share some experience I would appreciate it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d be putting in reinforcement and using a designed mix…..but that’s just me.

It sounds a bit more structural than you maybe think it is.

What does the manufacturer of the metal pool recommend?

Selled
    Free Member

Actually, the manufacturer only states “suitable for above ground or in ground”. I read that if you live in a sand area you need the collar, and I live in a clay area, which does not necessarily need it. Therefore its really just a gap filler to stop things moving.

I hear you though, if I am going to do it might as well use the standard mixtures.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thelawman

Historically, 1-2-4 or 1-3-6 by volume mixes were the de facto options for pretty much anything; the former for anything structural, the latter for owt else. So in your case, 1-3-6 should do fine. It’ll produce a compressive strength around 25N/mm2 if you make sure it’s well mixed and give it a week or so to set properly. But get some decent graded 5-20mm coarse aggs and a suitable grit sand to go with your CemI (OPC). Don’t just go with ‘some smashed slabs or rocks’ as there’s a bit more science to it than that to do it right.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How big is this pool…… Surely your not hand batching ? Unless it’s more of a pond.

Selled
    Free Member

Thanks Lawman, 1-3-6 it is.

Trailrat – its not so big, 4.5m diameter, with between a 10 and 20cm gap around it at the moment. So I’ve got about max 3 cubic meters to make, probably more like 2 cubic meters. The problem is that I can only get a minimum order qty of 6 cubic meters delivered. So intend to borrow a mixer and get on with it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

How much do you need? Them mix it lads do a minimum order of 1 m cube usually so if it’s anywhere approaching that, let them do the batching and mixing and placing, leaves you to finish it off.

Think I paid £120 a few months ago for a M cube.

Selled
    Free Member

I’m in Austria, called our local place and he gave me the 6m number. Maybe I need to call him again and start talking beers etc for a smaller amount.

Selled
    Free Member

I’m in Austria, called our local place and he gave me the 6m number. Maybe I need to call him again and start talking beers etc for a smaller amount.

thelawman

No bother.
    Just bear in mind that 1m3 has a mass of about 2200kgs so if you ARE going to hand mix, you’re potentially lining up a shitload of shovelling.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

6m would be a minimum order from a batching plant and then into a “normal” cement lorry for delivery,

There will probably be something like spot mix or mix it mate type company that will literally pull outside your house in their lorry and mix any amount you need.

Like this

wrightyson
    Free Member

^^^not really^^^
    Minimum to batch in a standard 6 wheeler 6m truck is usually 1m as that’s the standard amount required for it to actually batch and mix properly depending on whether it’s dry batch plant etc. However over here you will pay an “uncarried” levy of around 40 quid a m3 on top of the 1m3 you actually want. Cost for comparison is well worth doing these days as we’re paying 32 quid for a bulk bag which usually carry around 800-850kg. So per cube you’ll need 2 1/2 of these plus approx 16 bags of op so that little lot addded up is about 130 plus vat per m3. Do the math then ask the questions on part loads.

natrix
    Free Member

As CoolhandLuke said your best bet is to get in a mix on site company. If you can’t find one through google, get in touch with obv (the Austrian Concrete Society via http://www.bautechnik.pro/EN/Vereinigung/Ueber_uns )

redmex
    Free Member

Trying to pour wet concrete down a 4″ to 8″ gap you will need a good slump and will be messy once your biceps are done after twenty mins. When concrete comes out a lorry you get overfilled barrows as the drivers want to move on soon
    I’d dig a bigger hole at one end and get a vibrator not an Ann Summer catalogue one but a poker

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Concrete advice needed’ is closed to new replies.