• This topic has 28 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by poah.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • comrie croft worth taking a bike?
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Going to be at comrie croft for 5 days in August. The mention mtbing on the website but is it holiday style fireroad MTB or something more? Probably will not have time for any excursions further afield on this years Scotland trip unfortunately so hope to grab a couple of quick rides if something worth while on the doorstep.

If worth it what but bike? Heavy 26″ hardcore giant Raine or rigid 29er xc inbred (I know two unfashionable bikes! The shame)

boriselbrus
    Free Member

You are kidding right?

One of the best trail centres and has won several awards.

There’s a challenging black, rocky red and great flowy blue. Just look at YouTube for some vids.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

There’s excellent riding there. You’ll see bikes all day and will go mad if you don’t have yours.

TheBrick
    Free Member

No genuine question as I have been to other places that offer MTB and it’s a fire road route….

I don’t follow trail center news and reviews hence the q.

Thanks.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Sorry, I thought I’d put a smiley in there – it probably came across a bit harsh. You’ll love it though, even I love it and I don’t do trail centres.

There’s a great shop as well and if you don’t think you brought the right bike you can hire something else – even an ebike!

TheBrick
    Free Member

No worries thanks. Quite pumped now. Just did a but if a YouTube search and see looks worth it. Looks boarder line choice between bikes. Hopefully can get a couple of days riding in early before everyone gets going.

ceept

Yes, take a bike.
    You’ll only need one day to ride everything once, that’s not to say you won’t enjoy it the 2nd or 3rd time,but there is loads of other local riding too, which the guys in the shop will point you at.

peaslaker
    Free Member

Out of your two bikes I’d take the Reign. Comrie is rocky; at least all the good bits are. A rigid bike would probably restrict you to the blue unless you’re super gnar-core

gavstorie
    Free Member

Comrie is awesome.. you would regret not taking a bike

matt_outandabout

Enjoy.

It’s been voted trail centre of the year a couple of times. Very chilled and family friendly.

Like a mini Laggan in many ways – rocky, techy fun.

andrewh
    Free Member

Comrie in August?
    SSUK

TheBrick
    Free Member

Comrie in August?
    SSUK

Is it? Second week for me. Not over a weekend so probably not!

globalti
    Free Member

Comrie itself is a really twee little place with an awful lot of wealthy folk moving in and building themselves discretely expensive houses. It’s on the Highland Boundary Fault so gets small earthquakes quite often. Unfortunately Comrie’s only hotel, the Royal, is in a mess awaiting an injection of money to sort it out. The bar isn’t bad though and the regular barman is good.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Comrie is fantastic. Take your biggest bike, the new new black is a proper challenge, red is super tech and a total body workout.

If you like xc there is also the loch turret loop that starts there and takes you high up the surrounding hills.

yetidave
    Free Member

you could always not take a bike, then hire when you get there? Worth a chat with the bike shop. Comrie is one of the best places to ride a bike.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I don’t follow trail center news and reviews hence the q.

You do have access to Google right?

globalti
    Free Member

Comrie is also very easy to reach from Stirling; turn off the A9 at Greenloaning amd there’s an excellent little cafe on the left as you pass through Braco.

richmtb

Just to add to the others, yes take your bike its a great

Good trail map with some local natural routes here

globalti
    Free Member

Dead link there, richmtb.

frogstomp

Sounds like I’m up there the same week as you TheBrick – I’ll be bimbling around on my Hightower if you see me.

If you like xc there is also the loch turret loop that starts there and takes you high up the surrounding hills.

stevemuzzy – can you elaborate on this please? I found this Strathearn Peaks Epic which I might give a go if I’m feeling fit. Does your root go around the Loch?

Would also be interested in your natural trail map if you could fix the link richmtb.

AlasdairMc

A rigid bike would probably restrict you to the blue unless you’re super gnar-core

Comrie is doable on a rigid bike, but last time I rode it I cracked my truss fork. Oops.

It’s very involving, completely different to the obstacle/motorway/obstacle/motorway pattern of many other trails. One section in particular near the top feels about five times longer than it actually is, in a very good way!

richmtb

Link

Here you go guys

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Turret ride is lovely, but if you have time I’d head up Ben Chonzie instead, it’s LRT most of the way up, but some lovely singletrack up there coming back off the summit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    thecrookofdevon

Comrie Croft is great. Blue trail goes quite red. Red is pretty black. The new black is properly black. But you can also head further afield by bike as previously suggested. Great trails above Comrie or above Crieff on the Knock or to South on Turleum Hill. Take a bike or hire something bouncy from Comrie Croft Bikes.

frogstomp

Cheers, on the back of all these suggestions I’ve just extended my stay from 2 nights to 6! Sounds like plenty to keep me busy, and maybe a trip up the road to Dunkeld too..

Nobeer – is the Ben Chonzie route you suggest just an out and back (as per TrailForks here)?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, there’s lots of other trails around the bottom, but I can only see one way up and down mate.

ceept

There is single track down towards the loch, I’ve never done it though. Tom and Colin at the shop will both know it, so ask & they will point you in the right direction.

Or, having just realised who thecrookofdevon is, I’m sure “Pete 1” will know it.

poah
    Free Member

Comrie Croft is great. Blue trail goes quite red. Red is pretty black. The new black is properly black.

I think their trail guides are pretty spot on for levels.

The original black is more difficult than natural gold

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘comrie croft worth taking a bike?’ is closed to new replies.