Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Computer numpty question : Laptop using phone 4g
  • Harry_the_Spider

Is it possible for a computer idiot like me to get my laptop online using my phone’s 4g?

I cannot emphasize how rubbish I am with computers, so it needs to be easy.

northshoreniall

Yes, turn on mobile hot-spot on your phone – then on laptop click on WiFi symbol at bottom and choose your phone.
    If you’ve not named it will likely be called android/ iPhone dependent on device type. All assuming have smartphone in 1st place.

Del

easier to plug it in using usb cable, the phone will pop up likely say it’s charging, tap for other options, then select tethering.
    using the phone as a wifi hotspot will drain battery more quickly and be marginally less reliable.

pondo

Be advised, I have found tethering a device to my mobile, smashes my mobile data. 🙁

gobuchul
    Free Member

As above it smashes data.

Sometimes at work I use 4g wifi routers for my laptop, without any streaming, just general office stuff and a bit of browsing, I typically need 3 to 5 gb per day.

jam-bo

Set it up as a limited connection on your laptop and it won’t smash through data for windows updates etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

USB might not be that quick, depending on connection type plus might faff about trying to install drivers.

WiFi hot spot is simple. Just go into settings on laptop for that WiFi connection and make sure it’s marked as metered and then it won’t download huge amounts.

Or get a decent amount of data.

Careful with some mobile plans which might treat tethered data as non inclusive.

If playing to use it a lot it might be worth getting a 4G dongle for the laptop or a 4G access point.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks, used the USB and it worked a treat.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Computer numpty question : Laptop using phone 4g’ is closed to new replies.