Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Computer monitor glare!!!!
  • kaesae
    Free Member

What’s the best way to clean your computer monitor, also any hints or tips on reducing glare?

druidh
    Free Member

For glare, you really need to look at light sources in the room and the angle you’re facing the monitor.

There are some fancy screen-cleaning liquids and foams available. I’ve had success with IPA* in the past, but test a small dab of it on the screen before attacking it all!

*Isopropyl Alcohol – not McEwans.

Cougar

TFT screens can react badly to some chemicals. Be careful. I’d use IPA on a CRT, but I’m always twitchy about flat screens; I tend to either use specific screen wipes or a damp cloth.

Jamie
    Free Member

Try squinting.

Failing that, next time get an anti-glare screen

cynic-al
    Free Member

IPA is pretty inert no?

I didn’t know McEwans made any, is it as crap as their other beer?

kaesae
    Free Member

Jamie lightning fingers, cheap shot taker extraordinaire!

Something sad and pathetic about a poster who has a go at just about everyone in an attempt to impress thier peers. A poster who is armed to the back teeth with preprepared pictures and animations or even small clips, all sorts of stupid shit really, waiting for a chance to spring into action 😆

Why the over whelming urge to prove yourself at every chance you get lightning fingers ❓

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

next time get an anti-glare screen

he’s right though – get a matt finished monitor so you don’t get any reflections.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Awww Kaesae – is the glare giving you a headache?

TBH I wouldn’t worry about it. With the rain we’re forecast to be getting this weekend you should be building an arc, not fretting over a computer.

On the plus side, your monitor may well get cleaned in the floods.

Actually, if the floods don’t materialise and it’s your work PC you should have a look at the H&S site.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

hints or tips on reducing glare

have your monitor 90 degrees to any fluorescent bulbs.

don’t have any light sources behind you that you can see in the screen

get as much natural, or incandescent, light as possible – 50Hz fluorescent lights are evil.

don’t sit too close to the screen

don’t pay much attention to the H&S guidelines

don’t have the brightness and contrast too high

try and get matt finish LCDs, not glossy

DrP

A really good way of cleaning a screen is a slightly damp microfibre cloth – seriously. Just wipe it over, then buff it up. No chemicals or nowt.

Won’t fix the glare though…

DrP

Milkie
    Free Member

Polarised Glasses? Not really the ideal solution.

Make a shade for your monitor

Put a black drape behind your desk, to stop reflections from the wall.

kaesae
    Free Member

I’m planning on putting a lamp behind the monitor so that should help, too be honest there isn’t really that much glare, it’s a flat screen monitor and only about 6 months old.

However with so much work to do it’s a good idea to reduce the effects of it on my eyes as much as possible, thanks for the tips.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I also find eye exercises useful at avoiding strain – move the eyes full travel up and down, left-and-right, focus on finger then distant object, etc.

Also covering your eyes with your palms for 5 minutes so they are completely in the dark is good for resting – try it – everything looks way more colorful when you open your eyes again – rest your head in your hands as it doesn’t look so goofy and people just think you have found a really big problem at work!

The full travel up-and-down at the left and right extremes works best of all of them for me, feels like stretching muscles out.

ahwiles
    Free Member

get some +0.5 reading glasses.

they cost a tenner.

no more eye strain.

(+0.5 is very weak, you can use stronger numbers, and +1 reading glasses aremore easily found, but the world will look a bit wierd)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is this in a work situation (ie are you employed and need the screen as part of your work?)

If you are, tell your employers that the glare is giving you eye strain and ask them to find a solution.

TooTall
    Free Member

However with so much work to do

=’A whole internet to rant at’

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you are, tell your employers that the glare is giving you eye strain and ask them to find a solution

niave – the H&S regs for display equipment at work are useless.

Need to work out a solution for yourself.

+0.5 is very weak

enough to give you a headache if you don’t need them, and why would this reduce eye strain induced by glare?

The only glasses that might help would be sunglasses or actually some pink lenses that were called something like Comfort 41 – filtered out the blue light element of flickering flourescent lights/monitors.

wwaswas

Kaesae is self employed so he’ll have to send himself 😯 lots of emails full of 😈 random smileys :mrgreen: until someone sorts 💡 it out or he ❓ decides to do somethign himself ❗

ahwiles
    Free Member

enough to give you a headache if you don’t need them

no, no they’re not.

they’re very, very, very, weak magnifying lenses, they (slightly) increase the focal distance from your eye to the object of focus – thereby making it easier (on the eye muscles) to focus.

(eyes are relaxed when they’re focused on the distance)

and why would this reduce glare induced by glare?

it worked for me, i thought my headaches/eye pain were caused by ‘glare’ then i tried using reading glasses, now i don’t get headaches or eyepain – unless i’ve forgotten my glasses…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

0.5 in my driving glasses was enough to give me a headache.

ahwiles
    Free Member

why would you use reading glasses for driving?

(if you did this, you’d probably have to squint a bit to bring distant objects into focus = headache after a while)

unless you mean a change of 0.5… in that case:

my ‘driving’ prescription is about -0.5, i had some -1’s, they gave me a headache.

this is because the extra ‘half’ is a minus, the effective focal distance has been reduced, meaning my eye muscles had to work harder to focus.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

they are not reading glasses – just saying 0.5 is enough to give headaches.

Anyway – the question was stopping glare…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

niave – the H&S regs for display equipment at work are useless.

I don’t believe so.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/HealthAndSafetyAtWork/DG_10026668

There is plenty of latitude there to ask an employer to ensure the working environment isn’t affecting the employee.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There is plenty of latitude there to ask an employer to ensure the working environment isn’t affecting the employee.

and there’s plenty of latitude for them to do bu88er all about it as well…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps but isn’t it worth asking? I would certainly try to help if I was asked by one of my employees.

Jamie
    Free Member

he’s right though – get a matt finished monitor so you don’t get any reflections.

….and he didn’t even offer any thanks 🙁

kaesae
    Free Member

Thank you very much Jamie lightning fingers, always good to be blessed with the wisdom of fools.

The best way to reduce glare on an already existing monitor, is to squint or buy an anti glare monitor next time 😆 Genius!

My car doesn’t get very good miles per litre of petrol, any advice on what the problem could be or how I could increase it?

Yeah you should buy a car that gives better results next time or works properly, Hahahahaha!

jools182
    Free Member

Handbags

kaesae
    Free Member

Giant golden handbags, swung by cranes! this is STW and we have too keep our standards up!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Computer monitor glare!!!!’ is closed to new replies.