Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • computer memory upgrade help!
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

Ive got an old Dell optiplex that i want to add more memory to for zwift as its only got 4Gb at present.

Ive found the memory i need on the Crucial memory site using their sytem checker, its

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM
    CT51264BD160B
    Configuration ID: CT8961412
    DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 512Meg x 64 •

i was going to just get something equivalent from CEX, as itll be loads cheaper, but not sure what the essential specs from that above info i need!

CEX has this listed for £5
    4 GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz 240 Pin Memory
    Computing / DDR3 – Desktop 240 Pin

is that compatible?

thanks!

z1ppy

To my knowledge.. Nope, DDR3L & DDR3 is not interchangeable.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Ive got an old Dell optiplex

How old is old? What OS have you got, if its 32bit there is no point adding more memory as the system wont use it.

lakesrider
    Free Member

How old is old? What OS have you got, if its 32bit there is no point adding more memory as the system wont use it.

🙁 not sure!

Its running Windows 10 but i’m not in front of it at the moment, i remember yesterday when i checked its dell service tag for its specs the warranty expired 2015 if thats any help (its an old office machine i bought 2nd hand)!

I’ll have to check when i get home, how do i find if its 64 bit, just go to the ‘about’ bit in settings?

trailwagger
    Free Member

I’ll have to check when i get home, how do i find if its 64 bit, just go to the ‘about’ bit in settings?

Yep.

thols2

how do i find if its 64 bit, just go to the ‘about’ bit in settings?

Yes. I’m pretty sure there is no way to upgrade a 32 bit system to 64 except by doing a clean install with the old system wiped.

Cougar

Have you stuck an SSD in there yet?

The “L” in that spec signifies a Low Voltage part. If that’s what Crucial’s scanner is saying you need then a non-L stick will not work. (I think the reverse isn’t true but I’m not sure and in any case it’s not relevant here.)

In any case, RAM is something I’d be wary about buying used unless it comes with some sort of warranty where you can refund it (I don’t know what CEX’s policy is here) and the first thing I’d do before booting back into Windows is to run Memtest on it.

Yes. I’m pretty sure there is no way to upgrade a 32 bit system to 64 except by doing a clean install with the old system wiped.

I would concur. I don’t recall ever seeing that as an upgrade option in any edition of Windows. Changing the architecture = flatten and start afresh.

Cougar

That part on Cruical’s site is £25. Unless you’re really brassic it’s not worth the faff to save a couple of quid, just get it bought from Crucial.

lakesrider
    Free Member

Have you stuck an SSD in there yet?

No it’s just a normal drive.

Zwift runs ok as it is with the 4Gb I’ve got, but it often takes ages to load up, so was just after a cheap way to try speed things up.

All the other bike apps I use load up fine, just seems to be Zwift that’s slow. Once it’s running though it’s fine.

lakesrider
    Free Member

Just remembered bothered another weird thing with my pc…

It’s connected via display port to the hdmi on my TV. No graphics card just the onboard intel HD4000.

If I turn my TV on and boot the pc up I don’t get any display from the computer. I have to turn pc on, wait 30-60 seconds then turn the TV on and I get the image ( and the computer does that funny noise Ike when you plug a new device in) . If I ever have to restart it for an update, I have to turn TV off at the wall before it restarts or no image. If it does boot up with the TV turned on the only way to get it to display anyth6nis to unplug the display port lead from the computer and plug it in again.

All the drivers are up to date.
    It’s not a major hassle just annoying, anyone know how to fix it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘computer memory upgrade help!’ is closed to new replies.