• This topic has 55 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Compulsory BBQ
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I would seriously draw the line at group hugs though, as would a lot of people I know.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Back to the OP. Attend. Don't eat any of the food. treat it as a meeting and then take your lunch break as normal afterwards

ourmaninthenorth

I would seriously draw the line at group hugs though, as would a lot of people I know.

Still goes on at Asda, I believe. That, and the other reasons Samuri highlighted are reasons why I would never work for such an organisation.

My two penn'orth: attend the barbeque, happy in the knowledge that you know that mostr of the people don't want to be there either.

Walk tall. Because when you're on the way out of a job you no longer like, it's the best way to do it.

Best of luck changing your career (and you thought you came here for advice on a sodding BBQ with smelly Dean from Accounts).

Nick

I just arrange to have a meeting with the customer when anything like this comes up, the customer is normally amenable to calling the meeting even if it's really my idea, giving me the perfect excuse.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I just wouldn't go. Don't make a big fuss. Simply don't turn up. You probably won't be missed.

I've been at this place almost 13 years now. I've not been to a single social event in the past 10. Hate them with a passion. The company pays me to do my job. If they want to pay me to piss about, I'll go and piss about doing something useful. Personally I'd rather sit at my desk and work than have to interact with a bunch of people I don't especially like, eating crap half cooked food. At least that way, I might be able to leave at a normal time.

Fortunately one of our directors is equally antisocial, so by now, its reasonably well accepted that we don't get involved. I do my job well, and put in more than my fair share of hours, so there's no ground for complaints.

…and "team building". If you have to indulge in bullshit activities to get people to work together, then you're employing the wrong people. Simple professionalism should suffice. If you pay your employees to work together and they can't or won't, then getting them to play a game of tug of war isn't going to solve that.

<<grump>>

willard

Don't say that about team building. It's the only way we have of getting the company to pay for stuff we want to do, but are too tight to pay for ourselves.

Hopefully my next team build in the US will involve something a little more exciting that bowling (even though I won last time).

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Jonedwards,

possibly the truest thing I've read in years, my mindset to a frightening degree.

Nonetheless I know where my bread is buttered and if the bash is on works time I'd go and keep the mortgage in the black.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Compulsory bbq – if in their time,go; if in your time,compulsory migraine 😉

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Loving the irony of those shunning work social events, sitting on social networking sites in work time talking to strnagers about it.

😉

Haze

Same at my place, there's the usual get together such as Christmas but they're nearly always departmental.

Fortunately our Technical Director couldn't care less, meaning I've only attended 1 social function in the last dozen or so years – a wedding reception (not exactly a work function) for a guy who I work. Which was a pleasure 🙂

If you feel you ought to go then do so, but make your excuses and leave early.

molgrips
    Free Member

Penrod – no irony. It just means they like us better than their workmates 🙂

MSP

Surely its a perfect opportunity to get pissed up, tell management exactly what you think of them through the medium of violence, and have a grope of that girl from accounts you have always secretly fancied.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

and have a grope of that girl from accounts you have always secretly fancied

Angela? Mmmm

hels
    Free Member

See, MSP is now ahead of you in the "people we will get rid of when it comes to the crunch" line. So these things do have a valid purpose.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Thanks all, once more, for the sense of perspective and good wishes. It also seems I'm not alone in feeling the way I do.

I'll go along. Eat a burger, smile at the boss and chat with the good friends I have at work. Then, if the weather's any thing like, bugger off on my bike early doors. There're some nice trails on my way home.

I know where my bread's buttered, have no desire to come across as a curmudgeon or to start quoting my contract, but will continue to look somewhere else.

Just got back from a day's environmental education work and feel much better for it.

MSP

hels – Member

See, MSP is now ahead of you in the "people we will get rid of when it comes to the crunch" line. So these things do have a valid purpose.

Gone but never forgotten 😈

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Compulsory BBQ’ is closed to new replies.