Compromised immune system?

Home Forum Chat Forum Compromised immune system?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Compromised immune system?
  • scratch

I guess your eating a really good diet and not training on chips?

epo-aholic

I guess your eating a really good diet and not training on chips?

Yup, meat, fish, veg, cereals, dairy, fruit, etc…… why do you ask?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

stop taking the epo?

scratch

Might be wrong, but a good diet should help keep your immune system in good shape.

I find its a bit of a balance, when your training hard over a long period and wanting to improve over the season it can really take its toll leaving you a bit more open to random illness.

It’s difficult though, not even the pro’s get it right, e.g Wiggins/Giro

Are you resting adequately?

mrmo

when you say resting, are you resting till you feel ok, or until the infection is gone plus a bit. You might be hitting your body when it isn’t quite right, almost better just not 100%.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

these relapses have now happened 3 times, should i be worried/seek some professional advise?

By all means see your GP, but over training issues / exhaustion syndromes tend to rarely show up in medical tests. You may just have to take it easy for a lot longer till your body recovers.

epo-aholic

Cheers for the replies guys, i guess i’m worried because generally i don’t get ill and now i’m always ill 🙁

Just looking at the replies here opens my eyes to what i put my body through….10-12 hours a week on the bike (fairly hard) and working full time, not to mention the shift work, may be getting on top of me.

Maybe i’ll knock the training on the head for a month or 2, get plenty of rest and enjoy my cycling and if alls well do the cyclocross season.

Cheers all

Sancho

sounds like you need a holiday

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

I use the iPhone ithlete app regularly, it measures HRV and tells you roughly how well recovered you are. Mostly it corresponds to you gut feeling, every so often, usually if you’re going down with something, it flags up that you’re not right. I’ve found it really good for giving me an idea of how well I really am after any sort of illness.

Also found it’s changed the way I train – which I do, occasionally – if I get an amber warning, I might do less intense session. If it’s red, I tend to take the day off the bike. If it’s green, it gives you the confidence that you’re good to do something brutal.

I like it for taking some of the guesswork out of the whole recovery thing. I’m more than capable of just riding myself into a black hole and ithlete stops me doing it, mostly… Just been off the bike for a couple of weeks with some sort of viral gastro hell thing and it’s kind of reassuring that my phone’s telling me that I’m close to being right rather than me just guessing at how I feel.

Works for me anyway.

scratch

I’d maybe not cut everything out, could just be bad luck, I’m training to about the same level but have have a steady 9-5 and no kids etc.

Keep the Z2 recovery stuff going maybe and just cut back on the high end stuff, half it or just do one session a week and see how things go

Eat well, sleep lots and have proper rest days. Fingers crossed.

epo-aholic

After training hard right through the winter i found myself the fittest and leanest i’d been on the start line of the first race mid March, days after though i came down with something…..6 weeks later and numerous blood/stool tests it was diagnosed as a ‘bacterial infection of the intestine’ took a course of strong antibiotics and started to feel better soon after. Took it easy on the bike for a bit but as soon as i raise intensity i come down with something, usually man flu-like symptoms…these relapses have now happened 3 times, should i be worried/seek some professional advise?

Any input gratefully received.

obelix

Prolonged intense training is an accepted cause of immune system impairment.

Scale back the training for a while (a month or so), only doing lower intensity maintenance rides, nothing too hectic. A good sports doctor could probably help you, but I doubt an ordinary GP will have much knowledge regarding this.

scratch

Do you ever keep a note of your RHR?

I usually record mine most nights just to keep on top of things, mine’s usually 45ish on a rest day, during a training camp in Majorca earlier in the season it started creeping up daily and peaked at around 70!
    I knew then it was time to back way off for a week or two…..

obelix

Scratch is correct, resting heart rate is a good indicator of overtraining

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Scratch is correct, resting heart rate is a good indicator of overtraining

See my post above about ithlete, same general principle, but a more sophisticated measure that RHR and no more difficult to monitor. All you need is a bluetooth HRM sheet-strap, an iPhone and the app.

wirral

Hey Epo, I’m a medical person but don’t tell everyone!

Quite often I come across cases like this. Fairly fit young or middle aged people who don’t feel ‘quite right’. I have never yet (thankfully) found anyone to have a serious problem in association with their symptoms especially with normal investigations.

Despite what science would have you believe there are still many many medical symptoms that we just can’t explain. In my experience at some point you will probably get back to where you started from in terms of fitness. The only exception is age, like it or one you get over 40 it becomes harder to maintain fitness levels and recovery times after a good day thrashing the hills get longer -its sad but true. Just make sure you enjoy every ride and keep smiling!

Live yoghurt!

Did me wonders after similar sympstoms to you; I got them after taking IV antibiotics.

trail_rat

jon

I’ve been through something similar a few years back – for me it was tropical dieseases clinic – garidia in my gut …. but then i do travel to wierd places alot.

if i rested enough took my antibiotics and didnt eat it would go dormant – eat and ride my bike and it would come back with vengence – sulpherous burping , vomiting and pooping water – as well as stupid high temps and drained of energy.

i got put on a course of doxycycline(which had me in the foetal position with pain at the side of the road) and the lightweight antibiotics they put me originally on did nothing after a while and im allergic to penicillin.

epo-aholic

Shit Terry that doesn’t sound good, hope you’re okay now? After a chat with a friend of mine, i realise i’ve been over-doing it and working in an airport opens me up to all sorts of bugs so i’ve just got to train ‘smart’ after i’ve had a bit of rest.

thanks again guys

Premier Icon soulwood
    Subscriber

My last 18 months have been similar, although I’m no racer but work shifts and have two young kids who are only just growing out of the ‘perma-snot’ that young kids have. I would have a heavy cold, recover and just as I felt myself improving beyond my fitness pre illness, I would come down again with something. I eventually ended up having sinusitis, pneumonia and tonsilitis along with several other colds and what not. It really shifted my perception on ‘training’ and I have just rode really steady and ate sensibly. Hopefully now at the end of it all I am actually lighter and fitter than before all this started. The old adage of riding slowly to go faster has helped me! It seems you have figured it out though, rest up and take it easier, not everyone is a natural at this stuff.

Some good advice there.

I have Crohns disease and am on immune suppressants; therefore I have a compromised immune system and get sick a lot. I take a few supplements which seem to help, and if I do get sick now it doesn’t seem to last as long and I bounce back quicker.

I take Vitamin C and zinc supplements, probiotics, which are really good if you have had a gut infection, they put the good bacteria back in – if you have had a bad infection, your good bacteria and enzymes may be depleted and you may not be absorbing enough from your food – I use Optibac, sea kelp and spirulina which provide calcium and minerals, and also L-glutamine, which helps with tissue repair.

You could also consider cutting out some of the known “gut irritants” for a while – irritation and inflammation in the gut promotes malabsorption of vitamins and minerals from food. The worst culprits are gluten and dairy, but it might be worth cutting down on sugar as a sugary diet, even fruit, can feed the bad bacteria/yeasts etc in the gut. Legumes like beans and lentils also contain a starch called raffinose, which is hard for the gut to break down if it is compromised. It is not uncommon to develop intolerances or allergies to certain foods after a bad infection.

It might sound a bit “cranky” but after making some of these adjustments to my diet I experienced a massive reduction in bad gut symptoms, and get sick much less.

Papa_Lazarou

I’ve had similar experiences to some of the above recently. Had cold after cold and even once they’d gone, didn’t feel right, always tired and 80% on bike.

I read about JT Locke who rides for sky as he went through a phase of that and it was due to Epstein Barr Virus, which is the cause of glandualr fever. I had a test and it came up +ve. Think I had the original illness at uni, but it’s one of these things that can come back or make you fatigued when the immune system is weak.

EBV is, I believe, the most common human virus and about 25% of people have it in their system. The impact changes from individaul to individual and there is no cure. I know not to push it if I’m not feeling great and just listen to my body a bit more.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Compromised immune system?’ is closed to new replies.