Compressor advice

Home Forum Bike Forum Compressor advice

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Compressor advice
  • Premier Icon drain
    Subscriber

Ayup. Looking for some advice on what the spec should be for a compressor to inflate tubeless tyres e.g. what volume and flow rate would you recommend?

Any brands that are cheap and nasty rather than cheap and cheerful? Budget of somewhere between £100-£150 – but if you can recommend something under that which works then so much the better.

Obviously I should just MTFU and use my lungs to inflate them like the true cycling demi-gods who are the denizens of the forum 😉 , but I figure I’ll take this short cut and save myself a few bob (in net present cost terms) on CO2 cartridges, as well as hopefully getting a useful new addition to the toolset for some other jobs that need doing.

b r

I bought a basic (24l) one from Screwfix a few years ago, it works well.

They’ve gone up in price though, as mine was £80 including extras.

Edit – take a look on ebay, some like mine for £110.

timbur

Lidl have some at present.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Mine is a little jcb one. about 25l and 1.5hp. does the job well enough. one charge is enough to seat both tyres, then refill them once the sealant is in.

z1ppy

£89 in lidl if your quick! 3year warranty, mine an aldi one 2years old and going fine

Premier Icon drain
    Subscriber

Thanks, guys – checked Lidl a couple of days ago and saw nowt – will check again! Much obliged 😀

andyl

you have to keep an eye on the website for the special offers.

tbh for around £80-100 you will get a generic 24L compressor that is rebranded by loads of companies. They are pretty much all the same, pretty reliable and will be plenty for tubless.

I like the aldi/lidl stuff as they have good warranties for the same stuff that has 1 year from other places.

Klunk

Don’t worry to much about attachments/pressure gauges etc IME they work best off the main valve and a direct pipe to the wheel valve (core out). Then its the initial blast of air that does the trick.

mashiehood

who needs a compressor when you can have this for 10 pence.

I use it all the time and it has never failed to seat the tyres.

b r

Don’t worry to much about attachments/pressure gauges etc

tbh I bought a decent Metebo one as I wanted it to work well with presta valves.

Premier Icon drain
    Subscriber

@mashiehood – I was waiting for someone to point out the bodge option. Ta, had been thinking about it, but you underestimate my innate ability to make any bodge go fubar. It’s a gift 😀

z1ppy

Drain, take a gander at the lidl store locator & trawl round any close to you, as the offer was a week or 2ago, one store may still have stock.

Premier Icon drain
    Subscriber

Thanks, z1ppy, nothing showing as available online at the Wells or Wincanton ones but could be a ‘phone call will unearth something, here’s hoping.

FuzzyWuzzy

If you need a compressor to inflate tubeless tyres you’re doing it wrong…

timbur

FW – some people don’t want the faff of doing things “the proper” way.
    Cannisters and compressors take the pain out of it sometimes :O)

b r

If you need a compressor to inflate tubeless tyres you’re doing it wrong…

Hmm, if I only wanted to put brand new UST tyres of the correct size (ie width) on UST rims I’d agree with you – otherwise, get a compressor.

andyl

I wonder if the lighter fluid + match solution works for bike tyres like it does truck ones? 😈

mashiehood

andyl – no it dosent, i tried everything to mount a Pana XC Pro UST onto a Crossmax. Nothing worked apart from the Ghetto method.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Compressor advice’ is closed to new replies.