Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Compression tights
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I was getting the hard sell on these in the running shop at lunchtime, apparently they do just about everything stopping just short of world peace.

Do they actually work? (for running & biking)

xcwanabe
    Free Member

work for me. more whilst running(have fun 7 miles wearing them and legs felt better after than before) but also found benefit after a heavy training session/ race.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I use mine for recovery, they work a treat – no more sore muscle (but the downside is you won’t realise how tight those calves of yours are) I have compression tights, socks and calf guards.

I like the fit of skins over other brands – but have 2xu calf guards. If i was doing more than pita jog walking, i’d be wearing my compression tights. One of the best bits of kit around imo.

They are super slinky too, and i love mine just a bit too much 😆

On a more serious note, do you want them for whole legs or just calves?

djglover
    Free Member

They do seem to help reduce tight calves, I wear the socks for running and until cooled down.

pedalhead
    Free Member

so, are they just for recovery…or should they also be worn for even long rides (6+ hours)?

wwaswas

I wear some skins ridign shorts – used to get really bad cramp on long rides but not had it since I started using them.

I’d like to think the two events are more than coincidence but I’m not going to stop wearing them to find out…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all..I was thinking whole legs DGOAB, in for a penny…

singletracksurfer

another believer who wears skins on rides and compression tights after a looong day or between multiple day rides.

Stops my legs being all twitchy at night and I feel better in the morning (obviously I can’t say what I would have felt like had I not been wearing them, other than from previous experience… or maybe I should try them on just one leg) ❓

I also think the shorts have helped me avoid cramp on long days (because I used to get it a lot but don’t now).

fontmoss
    Free Member

i use them for recovery and like them but tbh there isn’t a lot of actual evidence for them mostly empirical – this is your standard reply when your science mates lambast you 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

The “scientific” explanation I heard at the shop had more holes in it than a Coronation Street plot LOL.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I find they help with “one-ton leg syndrome” if I stick them on after long &/or cold rides – anecdotal evidence only I’m afraid……

wwaswas

I fall off less too.

I think it’s more ‘cos I don’t want to damage a £100 pair of shorts rather than some mystical anti-gravity properties they might have

Jamie
    Free Member

I wear compression tops to make me look thinner.

hels
    Free Member

Did they offer you a compression bracelet too ??

crispo
    Free Member

I wear compression tops to make me look thinner.

+1, although i like to think they make me look buff!

Edit: still cant do the quote thing properly!

fontmoss
    Free Member

I fall off less too.

I think it’s more ‘cos I don’t want to damage a £100 pair of shorts rather than some mystical anti-gravity properties they might have

😀

bomba
    Free Member

Compression clothing is good for recovery where its benefits are scientifically proven. Its effects are similar to those gained when using compression for injury treatment – mainly in the reduction of swelling.

Using compression clothing for exercising is a far more grey area. From the reading I’ve done, most of the benefits appear to be anecdotal.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Reckon tights would be best option. Go round the running shops and try on the different brands – as i said, skins fit me better than 2xu. Size and fit is important to get the compression right.

I’d put money on your legs feeling better if you use them for recovery.

BTW, when you stretch your calves, do you do stretches for the top and bottom of the calf? I only ask because my physio has shown me two stretches for lower down my calves that I didn’t know about. Looking forward to my 15mins of standing on the stairs stretching my calves tonight after my lunchtime run…not! 👿

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

still cant do the quote thing properly!

[ quote ] then [ /quote ] without the spaces

gives

then

😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will do. I only know of 1 calf stretch…for the tops, am not aware of problems “lower down”.

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyways.

Running in tights?

Pffft.

Shorts all year round or just go the gym in yer leotard 8)

superdan

Am I right in thinking that they are talking about banning them for XC race use? (If so I might buy some as it would mean that they seem to work!)

crispo
    Free Member

thanks PP

wwaswas

they’re already banned from UCI events.

not sure how thick lycra has to be before it’s considered ‘compression’ though…

superdan

haha, I have this vague image of a poor Commissaire type looking down everyones trousers at the start line to make sure nothing is clamped too tight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*signs up to be commissaire at womens’ races*

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

They work for me. And anyone that says they can show you stretches that differentiate between different bits of the same muscle is pedaling voodoo.

dickydutch

Im currently recovering from a broken hip and bought some in the hope of reducing associated muscle soreness. They’ve been a total revelation in that department and I’m sure they speeded up my recovery to the being able to walk stage. Worth every penny for me!!

fontmoss
    Free Member

And anyone that says they can show you stretches that differentiate between different bits of the same muscle is pedaling voodoo.

if that relates to the calves stretch comment then there is more than one muscle

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m wearing a pair at the moment. Don’t if they work, but I believe they do, I more importantly they feel great 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m wearing a pair at the moment. Don’t if they work, but I believe they do, I more importantly they feel great

Keep talking….. what else you wearing?

😕

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

fontmoss – you dont say.

fontmoss
    Free Member

lol you’re the one who made the above statement 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are criticising him for assuming you might be thick ❓

epicyclo

If they work then shouldn’t all those fat porker girls in tights and miniskirts be superb athletes….?

🙂

cxi
    Free Member

Other than in the name, does anyone know the difference between Skins Recovery tights and their “normal” tights?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Never thought they made a difference to me but a mate swears by them…..

DrP

Pete Poddy wore a pair of compression tights when we were in the Alps.

He also wore high heels and lippy. He swears by it apparently.

DrP

mooman
    Free Member

Another believer here too.
    My hamstrings play up after a long hard ride. Since wearing three quarter skins after a ride .. no probs.

Coincidence? not sure.

vdubber67
    Free Member

The full length skins recovery ones are great. Slept in them on Trans Wales last year!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Compression tights’ is closed to new replies.