Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Compressing shock spring.
  • havinalaff
    Free Member

Hey
    I’ve got an old enduro sx (supercross) it turns out that the spring on these is over sized (2″ spring for 1.75″ stroke and they need to be compressed to get them on the shock enough to fit the preload collar)

I know its odd but this is how they were from the factory. I however have a slightly lighter spring to fit an wondered if anyone has a suggestion of how to compress spring when fitting.

Thanks
    Rich

fivespot
    Free Member

Try 2 or 3 zip ties between coils to pull them together. Then when you get the sprng retainer on, snip ties off.

havinalaff
    Free Member

simple but effective I like that!

andyl
    Free Member

make sure you wear some eye protection if doing that.

havinalaff
    Free Member

yeah i did think of that.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I used to use a headset press then zip ties / gear cable

amedias
    Free Member

I know its odd but this is how they were from the factory

mine wasn’t…

1.76 stroke Fox Spring on mine, replaced with a 1.91 stroke and fitted on fine without needing to compress.

It’s got a lot to do with the weight of the spring, stiffer spring will generally have a longer free length for the same stroke, but there are variations between manufacturers. I’ve got a 550×1.96 that is shorter than a 400×2 which is a bit odd.

If you compress it to make it fit then it will be pre-preloaded (so to speak). You need to try and a find a spring with the correct stroke/free length/weight.

havinalaff
    Free Member

well i’ve just bought a 650×1.96 for the grand total of £1 to replace my 750×2.00 so hopefully will be easier to fit.

I understand the preload side of things and have had one of these frames before which was the same and spoke to loco who remembers them needing to be compressed.

amedias
    Free Member

650×1.96 for the grand total of £1

bargain 🙂

An alternative to zipties if they don’t work is old toe-clip straps if you have any hanging around in a dark corner of the shed/garage.

jam-bo

neither of the ones I owned were like that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Compressing shock spring.’ is closed to new replies.