Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Compound Dumbell Exercises for Strength
  • snapperdan
    Free Member

I’m interested in building some more strength at the start of the off season and was wondering if anyone has some experience of using compound dumbells exercises or complexes to do this?

I’ve done a lot of climbing/bouldering in the past, so I’ve got a decent base level of strength in my core, but I won’t to develop some more bike specific strength.

I’m a gravity focused rider looking to have a proper stab at racing next year.

I don’t want to go to a gym, I have enough gear at home – I just need to work out the most time effective way to get the most out of it.

I’ve got the following stuff:

Dumbells with about 40kg of weight for each bar

TRX straps

A Beastmaker fingerboard I can do pullups on

chiefgrooveguru

Have a look at BikeJames’ DB programs. To answer this fully in a post would take me forever!

lotto
    Free Member

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Adapt the exercises for your DB and away you go. Great app too.

snapperdan
    Free Member

Thanks guys

scud
    Free Member

Sufferfest have started doing strength training vids i saw the other days

bigyim
    Free Member

The lastest downtime podcast is all bout this very thing. It’s pretty interesting and gives you bike specific workouts

snapperdan
    Free Member

Hi Big Yim – thanks I’ve just listened to that podcast, it is brilliant and it’s given me some good ideas. Problem is there are so many good ideas I’m struggling to narrow everything down!!!!

I also wasn’t that clear about the structuring of each session and how they address each energy system…be useful if they wrote out a sample for each of the two workouts, but the dude on there probably wants us to buy his program….

molgrips
    Free Member

Kettlebells much better IMO.

BillOddie

If you can hit the 7 movement patterns once a week or so to start with you’ll make decent progress.

Exercise examples –  google for instructions

Squat: Goblet squats, squats with DBs in “rack position”, squat with DBs held over head.

Horizontal Press: Push Up, TRX Push Up DB floor press (I have assumed you don’t have a bench)

Vert Press: DB Over Head Press, DB Single Arm press

Hori Pull: DB Row, Single Arm Row, TRX Row

Vert Pull: Pull Ups

Hinge: DB Deadlift, KB swings

Step/Lunge: DB Lunge, DB Lunge with DBs over head, farmers walk, suitcase carries

As others have said KBs are worth getting as are resistance bands.

k1100t
    Free Member

Have a look at the Reddit Body Weight Fitness Recommended Routine.

snapperdan
    Free Member

Thanks Bill – some great info there.

I’ve never used kettlebells and my wife’s banned me from buying anymore exercise equipment.

Are they more versatile than the common or garden dumbbell?

snapperdan
    Free Member

Those BC articles are a bit roadie/xc for me and all the climbing I do has my core covered pretty well but thanks.

I need to build absolute strength and power to go faster down downhill tracks and enduro stages.

bigyim
    Free Member

This explains the workouts on the podcast snapper Dan. Kettle bells are good as they add a different dimension but if your wife has banned you then they are essentially no different to dbs

snapperdan
    Free Member

That You Tube channel is spot on thanks. Big Yim. Just goes to show there’s loads I can do with Dumbells and TRX and something to hang off capacity stuff might tricky.

The Pistol Squat is pretty intense!!! Won’t need to weight them for a while…

Can anyone here do them consistently? Any tips?

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve got a whole DB workout program for MTB I can email you – I did bits of it but then got into more powerlifting based training.

snapperdan
    Free Member

Hi Chief Groove Guru – that would be brilliant thanks I’ll drop you a DM.

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Compound Dumbell Exercises for Strength’ is closed to new replies.