Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Components I owned that I had forgotten about
  • jamj1974

Shark attack and Mesh +1.

I also had one tthew.

Kuco

Seeing the brake booster reminded me I had a Shimano one.

Also had some Pace RC130 bars that snapped just by pushing down on them while stationary.

zerocool

@tomhoward – oops, I meant 41lb (what a silly bunt), although those Dark Angels felt like they were 41kg.

I had a pair of those Tioga Factory DH tyres as well (came on a pair of eBay wheels). They had terrible grip, weighed a ton, dragged when pedalling and were the only tyres I have ever had to cut off a set of wheels (WTB DH wheels), switched back to the Nevegals that came on the bike which improved the grip (that’s how bad they were!)

jimmy

jimmy
    I have a Park Tool toilet roll holder somewhere

Why on earth is that not in use?!

It was in our previous house but doesn’t really fit now. Plus, y’know, doesn’t suit the decor (apparently).

winston
    Free Member

I’d love to see this thread in 25 years time…

Remember when we thought 820mm bars were a good idea mwhaahaha

so who used to have 12speed with those stupid 400 quid dinnerplate cassettes on the back that wore out in 5 months

…and EVERYTHING was ‘gravel specific’!

kiwijohn

The original EDC from Kool Tool
    F

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

wow! 5mm, chaintool and a spanner!

mert
    Free Member

and a club roost beam stem and those creaky bars with the brace

Was that the welded beam stem?
    My boss at the shop got a really good deal from the importer and had the full range of sizes, 2 or 3 of each.

Every single one was welded cockeyed.

And one of the guys who i used to ride with found the only way to stop the creak was to tighten and tighten the bolts, until the creak became the bars actually failing instead of the clamps moving.

mert
    Free Member

HO pedals, HO brakes (all cracked on the clamp, i think i have one half of a pair i kept for the hell of it in a box somewhere. The only one that didn’t crack.)
    Scott Mathouser fined brake pad holders with the clear/white elastomer pads, never wore out because they were all but impossible to set up so they didn’t squeal and judder, so you never used them…

sharkattack

I’d still run a riser bar with a brace if anyone makes one. Bonus points for a foam pad wrapped in cool graphics.

kiwijohn

wow! 5mm, chaintool and a spanner!

Maybe I should have shown the 4 & 6 mm allen keys, 2 spoke keys, 8 & 10m spanner plus flat blade screw driver as well.

Speeder

jimmy
    a nifty Pace CNC’d stem from 20+ years ago

me too – I think though I may have sold it on eBay last year in a fit of clearing stuff out that I’ll never use again.

beer247
    Roox Chaindog and ChainCat

This was the first thing I thought of – used to have one on my hardtail many years ago. No idea what happened to it but think it was fairly quickly replaced by an MRP 4X guide iirc. It worked but was nosy and draggy.

13thfloormonk

Tranz X branded purple brake booster

There’s an entire log on Mt Fromme covered in these! I think it’s on Expresso but can’t find any pics.

😍 I had some 90mm arm mini-Vs on the CX bike which cause all sorts of flex, wonder if I could still pick up a pair of those carbon boosters (can’t imagine how much of a mud trap they would create on the CX bike though 🙄)

hodge1365

Park Tools loo roll holder,….

walleater

@13thfloormonk yes it’s on the original version of Expresso, just before it joins on to the Expresso Smooth rock roll IIRC.

joeyr
    Free Member

Magura HS 11s and HS 33s
    X-Lite chainstay chain tensioners (looked like a cotton reel fixed to an alloy frame?)
    Club Roost Go Fast bars, narrow diameter with a shim where the stem clamps
    Old school 7 Speed gripshifters
    IRC Mythos XC tyres

zerocool

I just found a Park Tools pizza cutter in a box that we (obviously) never got around to unpacking when we moved in 5 years ago. Not even sure if I’ve ever used it.

Kuco

I also had a USE XCR suspension seatpost on my Cove Handjob.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A DX front hub (pre disc), a Power Spring for a Shimano rear mech, an XTR rapid rise rear mech & a box full of stuff I’ll never use.

dyna-ti

I hope you’ve kept it safe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403873106224?hash=item5e08b68930:g:97AAAOSw8t9jGKzr

jimmy

Also had some Pace RC130 bars that snapped just by pushing down on them while stationary.

A mate had a pair with bar ends on. Needless to say, first time he laid out down the bar ends sheared the bar. Unadorned, you could compress the circumference of the bar it was so thin.

I also have a PT pizza cutter. Barely used as so many pieces have snapped off and been glued back on. It’s just a windowsill ornament that needs dusted every few months.

breadcrumb

Ah, brake boosters.

Blingy cable straddles for canti brakes, set low and calipers wide for more power but very squishy feeling brakes.

Good call on the anti chainsuck plates and finned chainstay protectors.

Sachs wavy shifters were another common upgrade (sure I still have those).

Still got a pair of red DX levers in the parts bin and a red DX V brake.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

MASSIVE Tioga DH Seat?

Armchair

mert
    Free Member

an XTR rapid rise rear mech

Still using XTR rapid rise, best mech shimano have ever made.

northernsoul

Great thread this!

Still using XTR rapid rise

Me too – if you’re used to them they’re great. I sometimes wonder if they would have been more popular if the first derailleurs had been low normal and everyone had got used to them first. To me low normal makes sense because I never need high gears in a hurry (only low) and if something goes wrong, a mech stuck in low gear is at least useable. I also use my brakes in the US/European configuration, so riding my hardtail can be an interesting experience!

I’ve not come across the brake boosters – how do they work?

Ambrose

MASSIVE Tioga DH Seat?

Was that the seat that was so big it had two seatposts, one fore and the other aft?

ransos
    Free Member

I seem to have owned most of the components mentioned on this thread. Flexstem, sharkfin, dcd, crudclaw, I beam, brake booster, snowflake wheel, hite rite. Also smoke and dart tyres in cream.

On a purple anodised bike. Nice.

Actually, I still have the hite rite and sharkfin on my Breezer.

tomhoward

Was that the seat that was so big it had two seatposts, one fore and the other aft?

Scott Octane DH frame, the seat was frame specific.

They stop the stays/fork legs splaying outwards when braking with rim brakes.

jamesoz

They stop the stays/fork legs splaying outwards when braking with rim brakes

Was quite frightening how much flex a Magura hydraulic rim brake could cause.

Had a lot of the stuff listed

Magura Hydraulic rim brakes
    Grey Mavic D521s on Bulb hubs (used on a ride today)
    WTB Velociraptors
    Club roost gofast bars
    CNC big heavy nickel plated stem I can’t remember the name of (sat on a shelf)
    RST mozo pros
    24seven cranks (still have them somewhere) they came with a tee.
    Crud claw
    Bullet bros chain tensioner, it hushed my biscuit tin Marin a bit..
    Oh, the mighty Marz Z1 bam. Still going strong (ish).

plus-one

The ubiquitous ringle zooka. My mate done me a good deal on it he bought a new at the time raceface system stem. I soon discovered why he wanted rid. It creaked like f@*k 😫

thols2

They stop the stays/fork legs splaying outwards when braking with rim brakes. separated people from their money while not actually making any difference to braking performance

FTFY.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’d still run a riser bar with a brace if anyone makes one. Bonus points for a foam pad wrapped in cool graphics.

Excuse the garden

generic expandable brace off ebay fitted to a Renthal jump bar

zerocool

@ransos – I forgot I-beam seatposts and saddle, I bloody loved the one that came on my Mongoose Freeride bike, comfy as heck. Shame droppers killed them off.

Only ever broke one (because I had way it too far back on the rail.

ransos
    Free Member

@ransos – I forgot I-beam seatposts and saddle, I bloody loved the one that came on my Mongoose Freeride bike, comfy as heck. Shame droppers killed them off

I meant an I beam stem, but I still have an I beam saddle and post on my commuting bike! And thumbies…

razorrazoo

Anything by DDG which flooded the market with cheap jump/free ride/Dh kit.  I think I was a huge 80mm cnc stem and a Shooter jump frame (exactly the same as the later Heavy Tools frame but half the price).

Kuco

I forgot about cable hangers, I had the Onza chill pill and iirc the Ringle one that looked like the peace sign. I use to always overdo them and **** the grub screw up.

Also had the Ringle bottle cage in green to match the Ringle front hub that scratched the hell out the bottles as you took them in and out.

stcolin
    Free Member

Loving this thread, lots of great nostalgia in here. I had a few of the parts mentioned, but all gone now unfortunately.

jamj1974

I meant an I beam stem

Fairly light – but not necessarily straight.

tomhoward

Anything by DDG which flooded the market

For some reason, this brought back memories of FSA PowerPro cranks. I never had any, think I might be the only mtber of the early 00’s that didn’t.

weeksy

Liv Embolden E+. I’d completely forgotten we owned it and went into the storage and thought “oh yeah, we’ve got an ebike”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.