Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Compatible Bearings for hope evo 2 rear hub
  • Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Ok – I know who we would have gone to previously 🙁

But what is both good and reasonably priced now?

And is there a bodge for using previous generation Hope Hub servicing tools to get them out?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

To get them out – Big punch/flat screwdriver – keep the bearings to press the new ones in, as the old kit is pretty shite for this, apart from the front hub tool.

Bearings – You will have a local bearing supplier if you live in a decent sized town, go there and buy the SKF equivalents.

xyeti
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the HOPE Bearings? from LBS or similar?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Erm, they are three times the price of SKF and probably come out of the same production line.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I see no reason to put in anything other than the Hope ones.

Easily done with improvised tools but for me (after years of improvising) using the proper tools makes the job much more efficient and gives piece of mind that you’ve not damaged the bearing or the hub shell in the process.

Have you got a friend who’s likely to have the proper tools?

andybrad

just get stainless ones.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I see no reason to put in anything other than the Hope ones.

I do, last time I bought them from Hope, popped the seal off for a look and there was next to bugger all grease in there.

Bearings are not bike or brand specific, unless they’re a stupid size/shape.

Edit – and there is no ‘proper tool’ for fitting free hub bearings on a pro2 evo.

Northwind

There’s one funky nonstandard bearing in the Evos isn’t there?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, IIRC it just gives you a size.

andybrad

yea that middle one. you can only get that in stainless from hope afaik. all others are cs

xyeti
    Free Member

A bearing produced for a conveyor belt spindle is probably EXACTLY the same as the one in a HOPE Hub and may well be SKF,

I Just couldnt be arsed running round trying to find one. Like Buying Coffee in the Morning, i could make one or i could buy one, I dont buy it every Morning but when i feel like one i enjoy it.

I’m Happy with the HOPE Bearings, And not really bothered about trying to buy the cheapest bearings i can so i’m not really the kind of person to be giving advice i just thought i’d ask what was wrong with them, As for knocking bearings out with a flat bladed screwdriver, sounds like more hassle than it’s worth to me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As for knocking bearings out with a flat bladed screwdriver, sounds like more hassle than it’s worth to me.

I’d expect it would be for someone that canny be bothered to make a coffee.

not really bothered about trying to buy the cheapest bearings

Me neither, that’s why I suggested SKF.

xyeti
    Free Member

My Coffee is crap, And Hope Hubs are made from Aluminium, I’m not good with Hammers or Screwdrivers, And i thought you said SKF Equivalents?

Isnt that like saying My Coffee is Equivelant to Costa.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hope will be an equivalent of SKF matey, as SKF are a slightly larger company… 😆 I don’t use hammers on bearing installation, only removal – press them in.

And yer coffee must be proper shit if it’s like costa! 😆

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Running around?

Last bearings i bought for a set of rollers i ordered from my desk. Think they were under 2 quid each for proper sealed SKFs.

The “official” tacx packaged ones are £20 quid a set. And cheap nasty things (The equivalent ones to the tacx were about 50p each, and last about 3 weeks)

xyeti
    Free Member

It is crap, i dont mind Costa though, Had a good Cup in Look mum No Hands Yesterday though with a lump of Gueniss Cake. 8)

I cant do my own shit, and if i have to phone up and ask and take in a bearing for comparison and then leave with a “wellit looks the same it’s just a bit thinner or the seals are a different colour” etc,
    Its too much hassle for me so i’d prefer to take it somewhere reputable who can get hold of the right one’s and fit them for me, If i went to he Alps and my bearings starting knocking i’d be annoyed with myself, IF the bike shop **** it up then i can blame them, But that doesnt happen, well not often, but it has happened but with frame bearings on a SC warranty replacement……
    👿

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I cant do my own shit

and

i’d prefer to take it somewhere reputable who can get hold of the right one’s and fit them for me

Is perfectly fine, but the OP is asking for some advice on doing his own maintenance, so maybe you’re not best placed to advise?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

NBITF – thanks – I think the Hope ones are priced rather highly – I’ve got their Pro and BB tools – just not the evo 2s… Your advice is much appreciated. Generally speaking I’m happy to do anything other than rear shock servicing, and prefer to do so.

dingleberry
    Free Member

As I’ve just replaced one of the bearings myself, I can tell you that these are the same as the Pro 2 Evo bearings. Works out slightly cheaper than buying them single.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Compatible Bearings for hope evo 2 rear hub’ is closed to new replies.