Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Companies to use more after the Coronavirus pandemic
  • falkirk-mark

As per other thread lets not forget about the companies that are helping in peoples time of need
    Nando’s paying first 2 weeks wages then onto 80% (daughter works for them)

Ineos supplying free hand sanitiser for NHS (I work for them)

https://www.ineos.com/news/ineos-group/ineos-to-build-hand-sanitiser-plant-near-middlesbrough-in-10-days-to-make-1-million-bottles-per-month/

Stenhousemuir football club (local club helping out)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/17/stevenage-stenhousemuir-football-clubs-coronavirus

Plenty others helping give us yours

johnnystorm

I think the sensible answer is not so much those that help out in an emergency but those that support a Government that adequately resource their public services all the time.

eskay

Who you use now is important, try to support local business where you can instead of large nationals.

frankconway

Good that some companies are trying to make a difference but there are others who are behaving like shits as referred to on the big thread over there —>
    Recent additions to that list would be those banks demanding collateral before they will release government funded support for business.

roger_mellie

The farm shop (veg) up the road from us. Always meant to visit, and did recently. Bloody lovely.

The local brewery who are now delivering. Hope they continue to do so.

I’m sure everyone has got similar stories from their neck of the woods.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your LBS
    Your local brewery
    Your local butcher
    Your local grocer
    Your local bookshop
    Etc, etc, etc.

Amazon, the supermarkets, and big corporations are all going to be fine after this. Smaller independents will suffer the most. Support them.

RustyNissanPrairie

our local milkman. why oh why didnt we use them before?????

Milk in a glass bottle that I can leave outside for them to reuse.
    Online payment
    Comparable prices.
    They deliver

No reason to use a supermarket for milk ever again.

tuboflard

Shop local. And support the Co-op.

Avoid the Old Dungeon Ghyll.

Poopscoop

My local corner shop without a doubt.

They are absolute stars. I’ve given them face masks and bottles of spray with Isopropyl in them in the hope it helps.

It’s not just the big players that are helping.

alanl
    Free Member

The UK Government, who are supporting pretty much everyone in the Country who cannot work during the Virus lockdown.
    I know it could have been done sooner/with better communications, but they have come good for the majority of people, even if they need to wait a while to get the benefit.

grahamt1980

Not sure if i should post this but I am quite proud of my company right now.
    I work for gsk, we have donated our vaccine adjuvant technology to the vaccine project.
    Plus also they are paying a month’s pay for anyone who what’s to volunteer to help out.

mechanicaldope

Recent additions to that list would be those banks demanding collateral before they will release government funded support for business

Pretty sure there is more to it than that. I work for one of them and my understanding is that the legal debts view is that the gov guarantee only kicks in once everything that can be realised as Collateral has been. Not an expert on this though, just what I have heard.

Flaperon

A bar / restaurant called Six Poor Folk in Knaresborough. They’ve coordinated deliveries of “essentials” from the surrounding butchers / bakers / delicatessens etc to locals, and are providing a meals on wheels service as well.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The UK Government, who are supporting pretty much everyone in the Country who cannot work during the Virus lockdown.

I think you posted on the wrong thread…

jimmy

Avoid the Old Dungeon Ghyll.

What have they done?

tuboflard

gray

Ribble appear to have offered a new bike to this chap to help out:

Chris Boardman also seems to have done similar. He’s definitely a good egg.

cinnamon_girl

Your LBS
    Your local brewery
    Your local butcher
    Your local grocer
    Your local bookshop
    Etc, etc, etc.

Absolutely. Good local businesses must be supported.

frankconway

Farm shops and farmers markets; local bakers.

Sandwich

Fullers for their suspension of rent to the pub tenants until they are open and running again.

martinhutch

FIRST CLASS SCUM BAGS

Looks like that’s a pub to be ridden past in future, including on the Jennride if it goes ahead this year. Shame, lot of good memories in the ODG.

My local farm shop has come good with a hastily-set-up delivery service, as have some of the trade fruit and veg suppliers.

andy8442
    Free Member

A tough one for many of you…..but Leeds United. All the playing and coaching staff, and senior management have deferred their salaries so all of the rest of the staff can remain in fully paid employment.

The Yorkshire building society however, acting like they were doing me the biggest favour when I asked for a one month mortgage holiday. I have over paid so much I could take 2 years off!

When this is all over, the banks, once again will come up smelling of roses.

martymac

I’ll mention my company.
    Stagecoach uk bus group.
    No mention of redundancy in any way, we are doing a 3 day week, but being paid my contracted 39hrs.

Edukator
    Free Member

Ineos might be providing a bit of hand sanitiser but they also produce a mass of disposable plastics and a mass of CO2, and run some of the most polluting plants in Europe.

Ineos runs the most polluting plant in Scotland

Named: the ‘dirty dozen’ companies that pollute Scotland

Ineos threatened to close UK plants because UK environmental standards are too high

It’s into fracking

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/03/ineos-leads-lobbying-effort-to-get-out-of-paying-green-tax

Ineos in Europe

https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/insight/ineos-chequered-environmental-track-record-europe

Personally I’d rather the government paid for ssanitiser and imosed some justified fines on filthy Ineos to pay for it.

tuboflard

I’ll mention my company.
    Stagecoach uk bus group.
    No mention of redundancy in any way, we are doing a 3 day week, but being paid my contracted 39hrs.

my experience of them locally has been very good, in fact not just their bus division. Another bus company who shall remain nameless are being less than cooperative.

benpinnick

Recent additions to that list would be those banks demanding collateral before they will release government funded support for business

Pretty sure there is more to it than that. I work for one of them and my understanding is that the legal debts view is that the gov guarantee only kicks in once everything that can be realised as Collateral has been. Not an expert on this though, just what I have heard.

Nope, the whole thing stinks. Above market rates and full personal guarantees from the likes of Barclays. It shows that the banks have no interest other than their own*. As long as the business was viable and the businesses liquidatable assets likely total more than 20% of the debt there’s no good reason for a bank to demand either a high rate or a personal guarantee from the directors but they’re still doing it. For businesses with debt already its compicated, but for most small businesses that are relatively debt free a loan of say 25k should be a box ticking exercise.

Looks like the Govt is going to step in and clean it up though.

* There’s 40 odd banks that participate in Business Bank schemes, its probably unfair to damn them all, some may be doing the right thing.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Ineos indeed do produce “a mass of disposable plastic”.

Of exactly the same type used to make disposable PPE e.g. aprons, eye protection, components for medical devices etc etc.

So should we boycott Ineos and tell care workers it’s tough luck? What this crisis clearly shows is that the policy of hollowing out domestic production in favour of supply chains that source goods from other countries is absolutely disastrous.

squirrelking
    Free Member

^ indeed, disposable plastics absolutely have a place especially now. Its overly simplistic and ignorant to to suggest otherwise.

Shop locally or nationally seems to be the take away from all this, support short supply chains and those who do right by their communities.

nickjb
    Free Member

Lovely statement from my local micropub:

Well, that’s us done for the duration. We’ve closed the bottle shop and are hunkering down for the duration. Now, a number of people have asked about buying vouchers, some have actually come in to ask for some – to be redeemed when we reopen. We had no intention of doing this but – if anyone’s genuinely interested in this – email us at hello@thedrapersarms.co.uk and if we get enough real demand we’ll look into it. However, we really think there’s a lot more people in a far worse situation than us – and we going to be OK. If you’ve got some spare cash – and now got the time – look around and you will find some very worthy candidates to support, very close to home. Don’t worry about us, it’s been a lot of fun and we’re looking to bounce back just as soon as we’re allowed. Stay safe

boomerlives
    Free Member

Of exactly the same type used to make disposable PPE e.g. aprons, eye protection, components for medical devices etc etc.

Plus of course all that horrible plastic that protects food and allows it to be delivered to stores without being full of viruses.

It’s only bad news when it’s not doing a job or being recycled.

jp-t853

Just received an email from Aldi to say that they will pay all of our invoices on receipt to help business cashflow. Whilst many other companies are using this as an excuse not to pay.

Albanach
    Free Member

Anyone know of a non-mainstream cycling type shop that would stock children’s scooters. Don’t particularly want to use a big store and would rather support a small independent shop that sells online and does delivery to Ireland for reasonable rate. Thanks

chakaping
    Free Member

Just received an email from Aldi to say that they will pay all of our invoices on receipt to help business cashflow. Whilst many other companies are using this as an excuse not to pay.

They also gave their staff a 10% bonus IIRC?

They must be making a killing this past month and keen to keep their suppliers onside.

ratherbeintobago

What Flashy said.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Just for balance – the ODG is actually stating on FB

“The Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel We just want to say a big thank you to our live in staff who over the last weeks have found alternative accommodation to allow us to completely shut down the hotel and kitchen in line with government advice. This crisis has hit after a hard winter trading in the Lakes and before Easter when the season picks up creating a perfect storm for many operators. This is truly a team effort and this crisis is showing us the very best in people and our community, supporting each other to get through it all. Keep safe and we can’t wait to see you all soon. ODG x”

CraigW
    Free Member

Anyone know of a non-mainstream cycling type shop that would stock children’s scooters. Don’t particularly want to use a big store and would rather support a small independent shop that sells online and does delivery to Ireland for reasonable rate. Thanks

OP Scooters have a great range of scooters. It is a small shop, think its just the one guy. https://www.opscooters.com/

windysurfer
    Free Member

Priory Motorhome Rentals, of Union Road, Oswaldtwistle has taken the campervans up to Blackburn Hospital car park as temporary accommodation for doctors and nurses on the front line.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18337640.royal-blackburn-hospital-staff-get-motorhome-village/

Houns

Timpsons

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Berghaus, haven’t bought their kit for years, they’re doing a 50% discount for NHS staff atm, check out their insta page.

I’ll be buying new goretex boots for us 3 from them, and will defo keep buying from them in future.

Riksbar

To be fair Timpsons also do a lot for offender rehabilitation and fostering and adoption as well, although I presumed they would be classed as key workers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Companies to use more after the Coronavirus pandemic’ is closed to new replies.