Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • Companies, businesses to avoid giving money to after the dust settles
  • sofaking
    Free Member

Weatherspoons
    Briannia hotels
    Anything Richard Branson owns
    who else needs adding to the list ?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Anything Richard Branson owns

Worth noting that he has absolutely nothing to do with many Virgin companies despite being synonymous with the brand.

…and Sport Direct obvs.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

sportsdirect, as if it needed saying

P-Jay
    Free Member

Worth noting that he has absolutely nothing to do with many Virgin companies despite being synonymous with the brand.

It’s a bit of a twisted tale isn’t it. The only one I know of that is nothing to do with him or any of his holding companies is Virgin Radio, but I couldn’t be sure of that, the public side of Virgin is very brash and vocal, the private / structural side is quite hazy.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I have a small personal list of local places I work (used to work with) that fired people, not even made redundant on DAY 1 of social distancing 9 days ago that I’ll never use again, even now I know of a few who have had to be talked out of laying off half their workforce, not because of hardship just because “I’m not paying them to sit at home” even under the 80% thing. Frankly they disgust me, because I know how wealthy they are personally.

“The company can’t afford it!!” yeah the company can’t afford it because you’ve taken every penny of profit out for years to pay for your massive houses and flash car collections. I hope they’re left standing alone when this is over as their competitors take all the work they can’t do for lack of staff and then they’re sued into bankruptcy be their former staff for their rightful redundancy pay.

mariner
    Free Member

The Westminster Government?

richardk
    Free Member

Rick Stein

Waterstones

Wren Kitchens

Haart Estate Agents

Gordon Ramsay

Jamie Oliver

Any airline?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Specialized and Trek. Nothing to do with Covid 19, just their slimeball management.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Waterstones

A genuine question – what have they done? I take my daughter in for books regularly but will rethink if they have been up to no good. Thanks.

piemonster

A bit of reasoning might help as I’m not sure what those mentioned are supposed to have done.

Sports Direct aside obvs

northshoreniall

Up to few days ago waterstones were insisting staff turn up but offered no hand gel etc to protect them.

richardk
    Free Member

Waterstones – Link

Rick Stein – link

Wren Kitchens – Link

Haart Estate Agents – Link

Gordon Ramsay – Link

Removing Jamie Oliver from the list as it was just taking ideas from other cooks on lockdown cooking

sofaking
    Free Member

Britannia link
    Branson link
    weatherspoons link

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just saw an interesting comment if Facebook. All these companies begging for bailouts, why not just offer them back the tax they’ve paid. Any registered in the Cayman Islands can ask their company for a bailout.

TheBrick
    Free Member

sportsdirect, as if it needed saying

Same could be said for weatherspoons

bearnecessities

I’ll bite, as a Civil Servant for nearly 20 years, the speed we’re moving at and the genuine prioritisation for the public is really quite something.

tthew

As tempting as it is to boycott a-hole business owners, its the employees that suffer, (those who remain or may not get rehired) the millionaires at the top will be OK, so I’m not sure it’s the best course of action.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Well if we’re doing Virgin why not Easyjet who don’t want to feed their staff on top of expecting them to take unpaid leave? There’s the true test of principals.

Locally I won’t be putting another penny in the pocket of the arsehole that runs the kids amusement rides down at the front. Last weekend they remained open spreading god knows what amongst the army of **** congregating on the prom. Oddly enough the spoons was shut all weekend.

On Virgin Atlantic, Branston is only a quarter owner with Delta taking a 49% share. Maybe see what other Virgin franchises are doing before writing them all off.

crazyjenkins01

Gonna keep an eye on this thread and read up some of those links!

onehundredthidiot

The management of police Scotland. Mrs100th has a not nice role having to manage people who are not nice people.

No ppe, no hand sanitizer, world’s shittest risk assessment which effectively boils down to get on with it, oh and it’s open door for some real pieces of work because well it’s not safe in prison. Just delay some visits you can catch them up later in the year.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The management of police Scotland.

Colour me shocked.

Don’t imagine the Fire Brigade will be getting it any easier either.

ads678

On Virgin Atlantic, Branston is only a quarter owner

Oh I wish I was….

rOcKeTdOg

and Sport Direct obvs.

Evans Cycles too then?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Huawei

and anything else that benefits the Chinese State.

Wetherspoons

Easyjet

Sports Direct

tomhoward

IIRC virgin media just rent the name from Branson.

For £25 million a year.

Waderider
    Free Member

I came here to say Evans.

And all the above.

You’re either part of the problem or part of the solution……be part of the solution, spend with your brain.

bruneep

null

dovebiker

All the bell-end, self-employed builder types who are hurtling around the streets in their white vans thinking the world owes them a living – driving at 50 in 20 just because…

Phil_H

whencovidisover.co.uk
    Online list of who’s being a **** and who’s not.

kneed

Barclays. Profiteering : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043896

HSBC. Same thing – details in same link.

Not all banks doing the same thing.

Flaperon

Manchester Climbing Centre (and the rest of the group). Turns out all their staff were on zero hours contracts and were jettisoned last week.

CountZero

Up to few days ago waterstones were insisting staff turn up but offered no hand gel etc to protect them.

Plenty of companies don’t supply hand gel, mine doesn’t, B&M doesn’t, my g/f always has some by her till, just because her hands get filthy from handling cash, but B&M don’t supply it for her.
    With Waterstones I can imagine it’s to avoid damaging expensive books, there are plenty of people who’d kick off at getting stains all over their new book.
    Anyway most businesses are insisting on cashless payments to avoid contamination, so for the staff it’s not really an issue.

spacey

I don’t think the Manchester Climbing Centre one is entirely fair. They had some zero hours staff but it certainly wasn’t/isnt’ all.

crazyjenkins01

@Cougar, might just be me being a bit daft, but that Next article doesn’t sound that bad? Volunteers only, and yes while not ‘essential travel’ it is work that cant be done from home and does keep, at least part, of the economy running, increasing the tax take from the company and may even help the other staff who dont go in and pick’n’pack to keep their jobs?

tomd
    Free Member

This all seems a bit petty and small minded. Some of the businesses above clearly mishandled this, but it was an unprecedented situation that evolved hour by hour. Big Mike is on the news now apologising. All this trying to organise twitter mobs and boycotts isn’t healthy. People make mistakes, best they can do is acknowledge them and move on. Hounding folk only serves to create a culture where people can’t admit to anything, and any hope improving is diminished.

In the business I work in we went in the space of a few days from Mild concern, no action > Moderate concern, wash your hands > [skipped a few steps] > Full blown lockdown, all response plans triggered.

Crazy, crazy times. I’m not a big fan of Brexit Tim but his worst fault in this seems to be that’s he’s quite open and prominent public figure.

BigJohn

At least the staff in Manchester climbing would be a bit more prepared than most of us for being thrown off the cliff.

Newcastle United season ticket holders don’t have any choice in who to give their money to: many of them had £600 taken from their bank account last week.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ll bite, as a Civil Servant for nearly 20 years, the speed we’re moving at and the genuine prioritisation for the public is really quite something.

So are you saying they can do it when they try but haven’t been that bothered for last ten years? 😈

DezB
    Free Member

So this boycotting will effect the multi-millionaire owners of the companies and not the lowly workers who need the jobs, right? Cool, I’m in.

freeagent
    Free Member

looks like the Sports Direct fella is backpedalling a bit this morning –

Mike Ashley

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Companies, businesses to avoid giving money to after the dust settles’ is closed to new replies.