Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Compact FWD/AWD ideally with room in back for two bikes?
  • cheekysprocket

Got to sell our lovely long wheel base Transit Connect as it doesn’t fit up the access track from our new house very well. The switchbacks are such that I doubt the clutch will see the end of next month…

Lots of our new neighbours have Suzuki Jimnys or Fiat Pandas on account of their short length and tight turning circle. Only, they don’t ride.

Am I going to have to go back to a strappy bike rack? Thoughts?

Kamakazie

Something like a Golf 4motion?

Anything from Subaru that is compact enough?

muddy@rseguy

Honda H-RV : you can flip up the rear seats and have space to carry two bikes

hot_fiat

i can get two bikes in a 500. two in a panda should be easy!

Kamakazie

If going that long you could look at 4wd variants of the Japanese mpv imports like the Honda Stepwagon or for real offroad guts the Mitsubushi Delica (ugly though they are).

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Spent some time working in Turkey, was driven around in a Dacia Duster which was really good!

beej

4wd Golf or A3 with the seats down.

spooky_b329

4wd models will probably have reduced steering lock which won’t help with the switchbacks.

hot_fiat

How come? They’re all front wheel drive cars originally, adding a prop shaft and diff to the rear isn’t going to alter how much the front wheels can turn.

parkesie
    Free Member

Yeti

k-sugden
    Free Member

I have a Yeti two bikes in the back with the front wheels out

maccruiskeen

The switchbacks are such that I doubt the clutch will see the end of next month…

FWD and AWD tend to have a comparatively limited turning circle – to counteract that try to keep the wheelbase as short as you can get away with for the load space you want. Most manoeuvrable vehicle I’ve ever owned was a SWB RWD Sprinter – despite being 5m long it could turn on a sixpence as you can practically turn the front wheels sideways

spooky_b329

Good point, my bad! Was comparing to RWD in my head!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rwd vans have much better steering Lock.

Fwd transits have best in class turning lock as well.

Are you driving up a foot path or something sounds ludicrously tight for vehicle access.

Avoid french cars -one of their biggest issues is lack of steering Lock…..

Lester
    Free Member

i just bought a reanult trekka 4×4 ( same as a kangoo, but four wheel drive) its brilliant, there a few on ebay at the moment

bikebouy
    Free Member

I do like these things, so I do.
    There’s a reason that plenty frequent mountains and valleys across Europe, I’ve even looked at one myself just for the hell of it..

finephilly
    Free Member

Mitsubishi shogun pinin’s are nice.

smokey_jo

Steering lock on a 4wd duster is dreadful, along with many other things. If it’s an unsurfaced access track it will just rattle itself to bits. Also load space height is lacking so you will need front wheels out and seatposts out unless you’re happy lying 2 bikes flat on top of each other

hot_fiat

Yeti is a good shout. We adored ours despite it being almost as ugly as a multipla. Many, many bikes can go in the back with multiple combination of seat options.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Compact FWD/AWD ideally with room in back for two bikes?’ is closed to new replies.