Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Compact digital cameras
  • Harry_the_Spider

We had a Panasonic TZ-19 that took lovely pictures but was prone to dust ingress.
    We replaced it with an Olympus SZ somethingorother which is hopeless in anything other than perfect light conditions.

Can anyone recommend a compact camera that a) works in low light and b) doesn’t fill up with dust?
    Budget around £150ish.

Pieface

I was looking at the Canon Ixus 285(?), any reason you discounted that?

Harry_the_Spider

Not discounted anything. I just want one that works in poor light and doesn’t let muck in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nedrapier

Not had a problem with dust in my LX3 or LX 7. excellent in low light. f1.4 lens. Only in budget if you don’t mind 2nd hand, though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oluympus TG range fit the bill there.

Harry_the_Spider

They are all way out of budget!

£150ish. New.

stumpy01

Nikon Coolpix S7000. No experience of it myself, but it seems well regarded having a quick look around.

I’ve got a Nikon P300, which was around £300 new, I think. It’s been very reliable, takes pretty good shots, gets taken all over the place with me & is lasting very well.

Regarding the dust ingress, it’s worth keeping the camera in some kind of sleeve/case to minimise this.

EDIT – I meant to include a link:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/95351/Show.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_term=Coolpix%20S7000%20Digital%20Camera%20in%20Black&gclid=COKknpzNw9ACFY0y0wod5IgN1w

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I had a TZ10, a TZ7, and before that a TZ4. Neither had problems functioning even with mostly carefree and regular outdoor use. The problem with (I suppose all?) compact zooms is they can suck in airborne particles so need to be in a good case most of the time.

The only compact zoom that has died on me owing to zoom/lens error was a Sony RX100. I sold it for parts and bagged a (used) Pentax MX-1 which is stellar in most situations and feels tough as you like – but I’m now careful to wipe the lens tubes/assembly before switching off/retracting and refuse to get the camera out on a windy beach.

I don’t know of a ‘tough’ compact zoom that has particularly good low-light capablities, either in your budget or above. What about another Lumix and a decent tough case? Or a used camera such as the LX3 as mentioned? Another good used (though becoming rare) bargain is the Olympus XZ-2.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Compact digital cameras’ is closed to new replies.