Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Compact cameras
  • maycontainnuts

Anyone recommend a decent one. Had a Sony cybershot for a good few years now and it is finally on its way out, no complaints with it. Should I stick with Sony? Always been a fan of their gear. Are the WiFi enabled ones the way to go? Anything else I should be thinking of?

Any input gratefully received.

ojom
    Free Member

Looking for one myself and thinking the new G15 – i had a G10 and it was great.
    Or a Lumix around £500 – i can’t remember the model number though.

dknwhy

Canon Powershot s110?
    I’ve got the S100 and it’s really good.

mikey74
    Free Member

I find Canons have very bad shutter lag. Pana Lumix all the way.

maycontainnuts

Yes mikey, the lumix TZ 30 is getting good reviews, looks good.

grum
    Free Member

Canon S95 or Olympus XZ1 are worth a look. Any Lumix camera is usually good too IME.

dr_death
    Free Member

Olympus XZ2 is out now/soon.

depends on the price range TBH. The new Sony RX100 is supposed to be brilliant but is fair expensive…

P20

How compact do you want? The G10 wor lass has is massive compared to my Sx230. The bulk of the G10 means it tends to get left at home

yen
    Free Member

The new Sony RX100 is supposed to be brilliant

I’ve recently purchased one of these and its fair to say that its the best compact camera i have used and has almost made my DSLR redundant. The picture quality is great, it has a very fast shutter speed, can shoot in RAW and is fully manual if you want full control. Its definitely as good as the reviews suggest.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love my Nikon P310..

Got some great pics while in New York with it..

Thinking about it.. We should’ve seen #Sandy coming…

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Loving my Canon Powershot S100, what with the s110 now out it’s at a bargin price.

Plenty of toys such as Fish Eye, High Speed burst, Miniature effect, Super Vivid, a great super slow mo and load more.
    A pocket DSLR for under £200

stumpy01

+1 on the Nikon P310. I’ve got the predecessor; the P300 and it’s pretty good.

But have a good look around, there are some great cameras out there at the moment; depends what you want to spend, how compact you want…..

ampthill

Options

really cheap and small

Canon ixus 115

Bigger and a bit more cash but better pics and control

Panasonic LX5, Canon s95

or

Canon s110 , Panasonic lx7 newer models. More feature more cash

Assuming you don’t want to spend too much the lx5 and s95 are well rated

I think the s110 has wifi as has the samsung ex2

These are kind og geek enthusiast camera. For the same money you can get way more zoom

say panasonic tz30

this may help

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/compacts/best_compact_digital_camera.shtml

Russell96

There are some deals to be had on the likes of last years model the LX5 instead of the LX7 and so on. Saying that the LX7 is a decent price on digitalrev.com I got a Panasonic GX1 for £259 from them other week, they will take care of any duties and it came within three days.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Sony RX100

Depends on budget though…

ampthill

Russell

I assume that was body only…

CountZero

Taken with my TZ30, last weekend:

Russell96

@ampthill yes but still a fair few quid cheaper than anyone in the UK. Got a G5 as a primary camera so have a few lenses already.

somafunk

Hope you don’t mind another one jumping into this thread but i’m looking for a small pocketable camera i can take out on rides and stuff in my jacket or trouser pocket, i had a Lumix LX5 but i sold it to someone on here earlier this year as i needed the cash quick and i’ve regretted selling it ever since as my only camera is on the iphone 4 which is crap compared to the LX5 i owned.

I’d like it to be small, slim, not really noticeable in a pocket or jacket and be able to take decent pics, not that fussed about “raw” capability as i’ve never used raw before, manual operation options, some zoom function but not bothered about mega zoom and also a pretty decent auto for those quick shots.

Out of the above cameras i’ve narrowed it down to the following, is there any others i should be looking at?.

Canon S100 (seems a bargain? but i’m impressed wi the shots above)
    Sony RX100 (pricey but v-desireable and more camera than i’d use, – still want it though)
    Nikon Coolpix P310 (shutter lag a problem?, bit bulky? but i like the classic design)
    Fujifilm XF1 (love the retro design, mechanical zoom ring, customisable Fn button)

Anything else i should be looking at?, i was happy enough with my Lumix LX5 but it was slightly too big for my pocket if i’m honest.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

love my lumix, just easy to use and perfect pictures every time

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nikon Coolpix P310 (shutter lag a problem?, bit bulky? but i like the classic design

No dramas here…

And hardly bulky IMO…

Great bit of kit, and for under £170… You can’t go wrong.

stumpy01

Nikon Coolpix P310 (shutter lag a problem?, bit bulky? but i like the classic design)

Shutter lag….not an issue on the P300 (previous version)….although mine does on occasion fail to focus, which I have cured by putting it in macro mode. It takes longer to focus, but doesn’t ‘give up’ with a ‘can’t focus’ box, but hunts about until it gets there.
    I have to say, this has only been an issue in very low light conditions, very reflective conditions (sun reflecting of waves) and very low contrast situations where it can’t lock onto an edge.
    Not really an issue in 99.9% of occasions and I am sure no worse than anything else out there for the price.

It is a bit thicker than the smallest compacts, but it gives you something to grip properly; feels really solid too.

I got a LowePro Apex case for mine that clips to my rucsack.

somafunk

I mentioned the shutter lag as a few reviews said it can “hunt” a bit when using autofocus, it still looks like a contender though but i guess i’ll have to have a hands on feel of them all before i decide, i don’t wear a camalbak or similar item when riding as i hate carrying anything on my back, not worn one for over 10 years so i want something i can slip into a waterproof pouch and fit in a jersey pocket or trouser pocket.

Cheers folks,

keppoch

JohnClimber – Where can I get a Canon S100 for under £200 please?

chris_db
    Free Member

I have a Canon S95 and it is fantastic, I can only imagine how the S110 must perform!

Chris

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Compact cameras’ is closed to new replies.